COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been almost three days since I was vaccinated, and I still have yet to feel any pain. It worries me a bit, because it makes me think that my body isn't responding to the vaccine the way it should. I was prepared for a lot worse.

According to reported results, the most common short term side effect for Pfizer/BioNTech is fatigue, for 47% of 18-55 years old vaccinated participants (but 33% of placebo recipients too, some people do live tired), so it's not soo surprising.
You somehow (83%) should have had pain at the shot area, though. That was lucky of you.
Second dose is worse, but not terribly so. And nobody even knows whether there'll be stock for second doses. At least at the trialled 3 weeks.
Long term effects, contagiousness, etc. etc. unknown.

his vaccine
Which one? Moderna? Pfizer? Oxford? (.. Sinovac? Sinopharm? CanSino? ... other?). You need to know which one you got, and which batch, because not each batch is the same (see scandals in Africa where certain 1st world disqualified batches were used there and wreaked havoc)
not unknown, it does protect you from Covid.
False. Covid has mutated. Even if coronavirus is a slow mutating virus, it somehow (maybe due to spreading opportunity) has mutated a few dozen variants. They officially say that it is not known at this time if it protects from variants (although it is very likely it will).
Let's assume it "works".... will it protect you longterm? Unknown; they now incline to say that it is unlikely that it will protect you longterm, and unlikely for midterm. So it might protect you shortterm. In that case, brush your teeth each hour, because that might protect you shortterm too. So... we wait until we got more numbers from our guinea pig countries (Argentina, SouthAfrica, USA, ...)

Greatest russian roulette players are known for being great believers.
Well, A normal 6shooter means you got 1 in 6 chances to have adverse effects. Quite severe effects...

For infected-with-coronavirus, that is 1 in 10 (link)(link) chances to have adverse effects. (And it seems you can get corona, even when innoculated, but it is rare). And there is no info about getting re-infected while already having those adverse effects already, but you probably get new adverse effects on top of your adverse effects. So it might seem like a better deal, but it might get compounded.

It's too soon to post odds for vaccinated. You already risk it by having sideeffects and that boostershot has the same sideeffects. But if it does not protect mid to longterm*, then it means that it becomes a seasonal shot, and then, like they told miss Everdeen: "The odds are not in your favour" and you are better off playing that russian roulette (even if roulette protects you for one full year, and you need to play annually - still scary, of course).

*All the data we have for longterm is 1 year, because we are only one year in this guacamole.

I've helped flatten the curve by shopping only once a week, and cycling once a week. And I'll take my chances with my natural immune-system/herd immunization (which, paradoxically, will be reached faster now that we have this super contagious strain that is 300% to 900% more contagious.... really? between 3 to 9 times more contagious? that's a lot of difference, 3to4 or 7to9, sure, but 3 to 9? Pay x dollars and you'll get a soda and 3 to 9 hotdogs (not at your choosing), buy this house it has 3 to 9 rooms... We are sending you your Pyra, it will be shipped in 3 to 9 months.... doesn't really convey much real information, does it)

For now, listen to an anonymous Beijing-based immunologist and a virologist from Wuhan University:
which, as you read in the comments of that article, could also be to discredit pfizer and push for Chinese vaccine brand. Who knows.

Edit: If you don't beleive the previous link, here is a bloomberg one (they still say the same)

Last edited:
England still being England:
The U.K. said it will require all visitors from overseas to have a negative coronavirus test within 72 hours of travel.

What about requiring negative coronavirus test for people traveling abroad, out of the U.K., you know, to protect the other countries that do not have the VOC 202012/01 (variant of concern, year 2020, month 12, variant 01 a.k.a. The ‘UK variant’) BEFORE they get into the airplane and potentially infect the whole cabin crew?

(same critisicm for all countries in general, t.b.h. but if you have a "superstrain", you take more precautions, right?)

Other questions I always asked myself: In Netherlands, you need to stay 1.5 meters away from other people. In countries that use feet as measurements, that is 6 feet. Now 5 feet is 1.524 meter, 6 feet is 1.8288 meter.
So my only conclusion is: Amsterdam has narrow streets? Dutch talk less loud and our spit travels less distance? WHO can't do math? (well, that one is quite obvious...) :D

Last edited:
England still being England:
The U.K. said it will require all visitors from overseas to have a negative coronavirus test within 72 hours of travel.
And other countries are doing the same too. I find it reasonable. I'm more worried about rumors that to move inside the EU you'll have to be vaccinated sometime soon. First concentrate efforts in lockdowns and giving vaccine to everyone who wants it,
then make sure vaccines prevent contagion, and if that's so we can talk some more. At this time it is OK to restrict travel unconditionally, it 's somewhat OK to restrict travel based on tests but I'd also assess whether the travel is necessary (hard to do), but requiring people to be vaccinated to travel infringes on fundamental rights, data protection, etc. You'll never have a vaccine indicated for everyone anyway, and you always had deadly diseases travelling with people. Discriminating on clinical record is horrible. And it would contribute to people hesitating to see doctors. And the ground is never public health they're just finding excuses to diminish economic loses in transport industry. And sorry, but when can make do without people visiting the other side of the globe just for fun, just have fun closer to home and save the energy expense.

What about requiring negative coronavirus test for people traveling abroad, out of the U.K., you know, to protect the other countries that do not have the VOC 202012/01 (variant of concern, year 2020, month 12, variant 01 a.k.a. The ‘UK variant’) BEFORE they get into the airplane and potentially infect the whole cabin crew?
I don't know whether I have the facts straight, but I think that's not a UK variant. It's a little everywhere and it was detected first in the UK because they look more for those things, which is good, not bad.
But it's a moot issue anyway, since it has long escaped UK if it ever was only there, which I doubt.
Anyway, I agree that tests to outgoing people should be more or less the same as incoming. You don't want garbage in and you don't want garbage out, in computer terms. But that's true for all countries.

(same critisicm for all countries in general, t.b.h. but if you have a "superstrain", you take more precautions, right?)
More than if you have it but you didn't care to look for it ? No.

Other questions I always asked myself: In Netherlands, you need to stay 1.5 meters away from other people. In countries that use feet as measurements, that is 6 feet. Now 5 feet is 1.524 meter, 6 feet is 1.8288 meter.
So my only conclusion is: Amsterdam has narrow streets? Dutch talk less loud and our spit travels less distance? WHO can't do math? (well, that one is quite obvious...) :D
I dont' care. I don't carry a measuring tape with me anyway, and I'm bad at eyeballing distances. I try to keep as far as people as I can, if that's more than 2m much the better, if that's less, then I didn't get anything better.
I also think than this is a stochastic criterion, not so deterministic, so I'm not so surprised that different people cut at different thresholds. To do it precisely you would need a lot of inputs (how is the wind or ventilation? how long the stay at that distance? how often close to other people ? and so on and so forth)

And it would contribute to people hesitating to see doctors.
And a thriving industry of crooks that fake the results in exchange for money - like fake travel papers

More than if you have it but you didn't care to look for it ? No.
You mean, on a person basis? But that's where the test is handy, right? Just swab and test before boarding (hmm... and if you can't travel, then what, who pays for that, will you get your money back... I see your point about profits for airliners).

I dont' care.
Did you see that in some places they have drones that calculate just that? What if you start getting tickets, even if it was the other that came into your space?

I try to keep as far as people as I can, if that's more than 2m much the better
Do you have a code for that? my /idspispopd does not work and I keep hitting walls. ;)

@pyrat Thanks for reading and taking your time to answer.

And a thriving industry of crooks that fake the results in exchange for money - like fake travel papers
Yes, I guess so.
You mean, on a person basis? But that's where the test is handy, right? Just swab and test before boarding (hmm... and if you can't travel, then what, who pays for that, will you get your money back... I see your point about profits for airliners).
I meant on a country basis. I may have been not clear enough. As far as I know, which isn't much, there are COVID-19 tests of differnet kinds, that are more or less OK to detect the disease (at least if they keep the procedures up to date with mutations), but to tell
which of the variants a patient has one needs virus genome sequencing which is a more complex measure that some countries take more often than others. Or something like that.

Did you see that in some places they have drones that calculate just that? What if you start getting tickets, even if it was the other that came into your space?
No. I had no idea. Sound foolish.

Do you have a code for that? my /idspispopd does not work and I keep hitting walls. ;)
Sorry, I didn't get you. Maybe because I'm not into games ? :$

@pyrat Thanks for reading and taking your time to answer.
You're welcome. I don't have to agree to everything everyone says just to read them.

False. Covid has mutated. Even if coronavirus is a slow mutating virus, it somehow (maybe due to spreading opportunity) has mutated a few dozen variants. They officially say that it is not known at this time if it protects from variants (although it is very likely it will).
Let's assume it "works".... will it protect you longterm? Unknown; they now incline to say that it is unlikely that it will protect you longterm, and unlikely for midterm. So it might protect you shortterm. In that case, brush your teeth each hour, because that might protect you shortterm too. So... we wait until we got more numbers from our guinea pig countries (Argentina, SouthAfrica, USA, ...)
Just an aside, Covid-19 hasn't mutated. It can't. It's a disease. The virus which can mutate should be referred to as SARS-Cov-2, although I've heard the Southern English variant reffered to as nCov, but I guess that can only ever be a temporary label, given the 'n' stands for 'new' to the best of my knowledge.

yeah, it's possible the virus will mutate and the current vaccine won't help. this is a nightmare scenario, unless the virus by mutating (and becoming more infectious) becomes less dangerous.

from what i've heard, some variants seem to be warded off by the current vaccine, but with the number of variants rising, we don't know for certain yet on some.

best case scenario: one vaccine protects against all variants for life.

middle case scenario: we keep getting shots (like flu shots) to boost our immunity, possibly with new variants still being kept at bay as we adjust the shot for the virus variant...

yeah, it's possible the virus will mutate and the current vaccine won't help. this is a nightmare scenario, unless the virus by mutating (and becoming more infectious) becomes less dangerous.

from what i've heard, some variants seem to be warded off by the current vaccine, but with the number of variants rising, we don't know for certain yet on some.

best case scenario: one vaccine protects against all variants for life.

middle case scenario: we keep getting shots (like flu shots) to boost our immunity, possibly with new variants still being kept at bay as we adjust the shot for the virus variant...
A worse case would be Zombies, Vampires, whatever you call those Resident Evil thingies, the earth's magnetic field dropping, earth getting hit by something big, and an alien invasion, before I've got my Pyra.

There is a lot of talk about the vaccine and protection but here is a point of clarification:

The vaccine may protect you from serious complications, but it may not prevent you from spreading the virus.

It's not known yet.

Yes, I've not heard any clarification on that yet, but it was announced that they tested for symptoms, and for antibodies, but not they didn't have the virus. But at the end of the day if it keeps you out of hospital and we're all vaccinated, then that's what we need right now.

I think I may finally be getting some pain from the vaccine I had on Wednesday. It's in my elbow though, not the injection site, and it only hurts when I move it. Even then, it's not much.

I think I may finally be getting some pain from the vaccine I had on Wednesday. It's in my elbow though, not the injection site, and it only hurts when I move it. Even then, it's not much.
Bear in mind if it only hurts when you move your elbow, the muscles that move your elbow are in your upper arm, which I assume it where you were injected. If you get swelling there it will generally only hurt when you move your elbow.

Sorry, I didn't get you. Maybe because I'm not into games ?
Ah, in those 3D games where you can walk around, there are "cheatcodes" that disable clipping, so you can pass through walls. In this case I was hinting at the old Doom games that had this.

Ok, who was the one that sang this song to Covid?

Shit went down in Amsterdam today. Here and there some altercations (one guy was clubbed), but in general a peaceful protest (although the ME had their watercannons at the ready). There was a drone taking pictures.
(removed twitter link with altercations and bloody head)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back