[Contribution Thread] Inside The Box - Issue III - The Only OpenPandora Magazine

commander-beef

Very Active Member
[ Final Deadline - 10 December 2013 ]

It would be nice if any of You will be interested in article/reviews contribution for Issue 3. Give me a sign here [or on PM], so i can complete list of authors and nag You before deadline.

[ This will be the final, third Inside The Box E-Zine / DiskMag issue. And sadly , the last one.. ]
 ​

What Articles are needed for Inside The Box:

- Game Reviews [Exclusive openpandora games]

- Game Reviews [Ports]

- Emulator Reviews 

- Applications Reviews

- Hardware reviews [example: alternative to OP handhelds like JXD or OpenPandora Accesories]

- Tips And Tricks for Games [Emulator]

- Tips And Tricks for OpenPandora GUI apps [example: Installing LXDE, New shortcuts for XFCE, Wifi dongle setups ]

- Interviews 

- News from OpenPandora Scene / Emulation Scene / RetroScene [take a look into ITB issue I & II to see what kind of news ITB needs]

- Any other articles releated to emulation / retro stuff. [if you want to share some info about your retro action figures, that you collecting]

Whats e-zine/diskmag?

A disk magazine/e-zine, colloquially known as a diskmag, is a magazine that is distributed in electronic form to be read using computers. These had some popularity in the 1980s and 1990s as periodicals distributed on floppy disk, hence their name. The rise of the Internet in the late 1990s caused them to be superseded almost entirely by online publications, which are sometimes still called "diskmags" despite the lack of physical disks.

A unique and defining characteristic about a diskmag in contrast to a typical ASCII "zine" or "t-file" (or even "g-file") is that a diskmag usually comes housed as an executable program file that will only run on a specific hardware platform. A diskmag tends to have an aesthetically appealing and custom graphical user interface (or even interfaces), background music and other features that take advantage of the hardware platform the diskmag was coded for. Diskmags have been written for many platforms, ranging from the C64 on up to the IBM PC and have even been created for video game consoles, like scenedicate for the Dreamcast.

Inside The Box Features:

- Audio-rich [you can play 4 different tracks/music while reading ITB Articles]. This is something you cant do with PDF/Paper Magazines.

- Easy Navigation from article to article. Much easier than browsing PDF file [or browsing the webpage]

- Content rich. More than 100Kb of pure text to read. 

- OpenPandora Controls

- One and only OpenPandora DiskMagazine.

Previous Inside The Box e-Zines in PND format:

Issue I

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=insidethebox-1-app

Issue II

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=insidethebox-2-app

Screens:

03.png

04.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget to include a piece calling for more entries for your Crap Game Competition. No game should take more than a single day to complete, otherwise it's too good for the contest. If you stick to the 10th there will still be five more days to enter something. :)

I'll bung in a full £10 of British chocolate and treats to the winner (to be posted after New Year so as to avoid postal problems).

[EDIT] Or 20Euros or $20 US if preferred

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. Boys and girls. Inside the box is officially scrapped in form of freeware/community project. 

I didnt received any reviews/articles from community. All i can say is: farewell Inside The Box. 

Hiya Boys and Girls (?) :). If You want to contribute to 3rd ITB magazine. Now its time (last time before lights out).
I took my old sources, removed some dust and put some glue here and there, and im ready to kick in ITB Vol 3.. after 10 years.

Who's in ? (..lets give all pandorians a nice gift for christmas AD. 2022 )

(BTW. ITB v3 code have already +10 years, i rewrite it from scratch after ITB v2, so it would be nice to release it finally to the public.. maybe for a last time)

Attachments

• 01.png
    01.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Who's in ? (..lets give all pandorians a nice gift for christmas AD. 2022 )

Nice initiative, would like to see this happening. This forum is a lot less active then 2013 though. If you didn't receive any articles then, your chance of success is even less now.
That said, no hurt in trying. I think I can provide one review or something like that - but don't expect too much of the provided quality (content and grammar).

Excellent. Every review would be welcome. Thank b_o_b.

btw. i see, that forum is not as active like, say 10ys ago. True, but as long there will be some news and some releases OP will be good :).

Back