Console OS: Dual-Boot Android, Remastered for The PC

which are all also available for the PC... I've yet to find some android only game that are good for something else than a quick game session in public transports...
Maybe an Android gamer doesnt want to pay twice for the same game?

Or are these for-purchase Android games locked to one device?  (I don't know because I don't have any.)

Android games and app purchases are against your Google account, so you can load them onto all of your Android devices, that's no problem

which are all also available for the PC... I've yet to find some android only game that are good for something else than a quick game session in public transports...
So ?? My point is still valid, that the platform outgrew its initial, self applied "restrictions" otherwise these games would not sell well, and the market would concentrate on casual games. And again you could say the same about the Pandora, 95% of the catalogue are from other plattforms, while the few orginal Pandora games don't have a very deep background story, or very complex game mechanics (hope I'm not stepping on someones toes).But If you need a practical example, take "Waking Mars", great game, with an interesting, but not very complex story - but how many of the old "gems" really had such an interesting story ? Already some years old, and originally developed for iOS (but I think we can assume that the "rules" apply to both markets), I can't imagine playing that game in consecutive quick sessions.

@ekianjo

Chrono Trigger is actually available for Android

Last edited by a moderator:
"Cashual Games"

Those mobile app games which contain lots of in-app-purchases

:)
thanks for the correction (and please continue to correct me wherever you may see fit), as most probably already guessed, proofreading isn't one one my rather few strengths.

So putting gaming aside for a moment, nobody else sees any of the other potential uses for this? How it could possibly be better than just running windows by it's self on a tablet?

I would think the pandora crowd, the same ones that have a standard linux in addition to running an almost natively booting android on the same device could appreciate the uses here. The very same ones that can appreciate and take great joy in adding to their own catalog entire libraries of other systems though emulation.... even comparatively insignificant or shitty ones like the gp2x or virtual boy... or for god's sake graphing caluclators....

The idea of adding substantial value to an already existing device for not a whole lot of money... nobody's digging it or seeing the point huh?

Jeez, I must be narrow minded. So much so that all these potential uses for it have blinded me from the lack of subjective quality games from people who already dislike or don't even use the platform.

don't get me wrong, back whatever you like! still I don't consider android to be a platform desirable for running on a pc. I've tried replacing my laptop with a tf201 in the past and it was so horrible stability wise, I'd rather pass. but then again I don't run windows for the same reasons: looks like a toy nowadays, completely unstable and I cannot do what I want in an efficient way without stripping away lots and lots of crap, eye "candy" and still the UI would drive me nuts. If you're cool with using a touchscreen interface for everything, enjoy yourself. I truly think it's moronic to pay for such a thing, looking at how many projects have tried something similar with android before. then again you can never have enough innovation and people trying out to broaden the horizons. I am interested how this project will turn out.

oh and I am an everyday android user from the start btw. have been heavily relying on smartphone technology in my job and it was the closest to a decent linux OS on mobile. If palm wouldn't have f'ed up the pre so bad built quality wise, I would've stuck with that little magic box though because WebOS would clean the floor with all these half assed under developed android slates that convulute the market and iOS isn't even comparable today. the multitasking was awesome and it was stable as hell.

I agree that emulation and running things from other OSes is fun in general.  For e.g. it was fun to see preenv working on N900 to play the good Pre games.

don't get me wrong, back whatever you like! still I don't consider android to be a platform desirable for running on a pc. I've tried replacing my laptop with a tf201 in the past and it was so horrible stability wise, I'd rather pass. but then again I don't run windows for the same reasons: looks like a toy nowadays, completely unstable and I cannot do what I want in an efficient way without stripping away lots and lots of crap, eye "candy" and still the UI would drive me nuts. If you're cool with using a touchscreen interface for everything, enjoy yourself. I truly think it's moronic to pay for such a thing, looking at how many projects have tried something similar with android before. then again you can never have enough innovation and people trying out to broaden the horizons. I am interested how this project will turn out.

oh and I am an everyday android user from the start btw. have been heavily relying on smartphone technology in my job and it was the closest to a decent linux OS on mobile. If palm wouldn't have f'ed up the pre so bad built quality wise, I would've stuck with that little magic box though because WebOS would clean the floor with all these half assed under developed android slates that convulute the market and iOS isn't even comparable today. the multitasking was awesome and it was stable as hell.
see.. this is a critical argument I can very much respect. Thank you for not just spitting the same garbage thats always thrown around when the topic of android comes up. Informed, educated, yet critical.

There are indeed multiple other projects out there close to this that try to bring android to x86 and yet are not as successful in concept, however they are free. Paying for it is legitimate concern when seeing that you can do most things under other free projects. It grabs me in that it's going for a commercial "polished" aspect, and it looks to me to be a bit more mature than other solutions. They are also suggesting a free to use limited experience for those that don't want to pay.

I want to clear up my previous post.  I personally have no interest in Android on a desktop computer for the same reason I have no interest in Windows 8.  If I want an OS with a UI that is designed for a touchscreen mobile device I will use it on a touchscreen mobile device.  As I said, there probably are some people and situations it is good for, but those don't apply to me, and probably even less so to the average consumer.  I am interested in hearing some of the potential uses for this.

I see the potential for less software on Google Play available to mobile devices due to many shifting their efforts to making games (and other software) of a different class of devices.  There is already the problem of a wide range of hardware , and this would make it worse for those who have made Android the "most popular OS", or whatever he said in the video, as new software will not be available to them on many mobile devices, more so than it currently is.  If the goal is to not make more resource hungry software, then a VM, or something of that sort, seems about as valuable.

There are all kinds of games available like : - Simon the Sorcerer 1+2 - Broken Sword 1+2 - The Cave - Trine 1+2 - GTA 3 - GTA San Andreas - R-type(s) - Metal Slug - Little Big Adventure - Portal - Half Life 2 and thats just a few, out of my head. If you really insist I can go on about it, but why should I do that as you obviously have your mind already set about the "crap" game plattform
Hey did you notice that what I meant was "am I MISSING any game by not playing on Android?". Next time before hitting Google and listing games alreayd available on PC and other consoles, take a breath and think a minute about the question you are trying to reply to. 

Of course it does: "most of the catalog is so bad, so outdated in graphics or mechanism" was the description you gave, can't see were it does not apply.
did you notice there was a word there, like mechanism ? So do you consider all emulated games to be poor in terms of mechanics ? Hey, show me the RPGs in 2014 which are more complex than Ultima 7. Dont need to answer, there is none.  

@ekianjo Chrono Trigger is actually available for Android
My question was about original games worth it to justify Android. I can play Chrono Trigger just fine without Android on a bunch of other systems.  

I want to clear up my previous post.  I personally have no interest in Android on a desktop computer for the same reason I have no interest in Windows 8.  If I want an OS with a UI that is designed for a touchscreen mobile device I will use it on a touchscreen mobile device.  As I said, there probably are some people and situations it is good for, but those don't apply to me, and probably even less so to the average consumer.  I am interested in hearing some of the potential uses for this.

I see the potential for less software on Google Play available to mobile devices due to many shifting their efforts to making games (and other software) of a different class of devices.  There is already the problem of a wide range of hardware , and this would make it worse for those who have made Android the "most popular OS", or whatever he said in the video, as new software will not be available to them on many mobile devices, more so than it currently is.  If the goal is to not make more resource hungry software, then a VM, or something of that sort, seems about as valuable.
see like, that's the thing. I don't have any interest in using it in a desktop either, mainly because the UI is not really made for desktops. It's only halfway decent when using on a laptop if it has a touchscreen + mouse + keyboard, but the focus I believe is those that have 2-in-1 windows tablets that have a removable keyboard dock. The use case for this I believe is targeted mainly at those. Use cases where you would only use or have the touchscreen available to you for some period of time until you docked it.

Unless the hypervisor is REALLY sweet, and I can get inside of android and open my email and texting apps in less clicks, I'm not going to bother with it on the desktop.

Laptops, or any other mobile device where there may be some amount of offline time, android really shines, apps there are designed around living in a partially connected world. It will cache files you're working on, then when connected it will sync up with the cloud. Emails will sit in your outbox in "offline mode" waiting for a connection. Some streaming radio apps have a cache mode where it will save x amount of hours locally on the device and wait for a connection, then refresh. There's a bit more, but app designers will add these features because of the use cases on these types of devices that aren't online all the time and integrate those features in a seamless and natural way. Sure you can replicate some of those features in desktop programs, but it's not as natural because desktops are usually "all or nothing" when it comes to connectivity. Android is designed around that concept.

The interface is my main attraction for the touchscreen device though. I use my finger to navigate on a touchscreen, I don't need or use a stylus for anything but writing notes. With the windows tab, the "metro UI" tries to fix this and give you a much better UI in which to open/run programs, but it still fails to hit areas like program menus and stuff like that. It doesn't feel as natural, is it capable? Yea. Does it try? Sure, but is it good? No. Android's framework and all menus get the full screen real estate and options are large and going back and forth between options is about at quick as can be and still not be cumbersome. System notifications for when you get new emails, or texts, music, facebook shit, and all the other stuff, you can see updates when it happens rather than checking to see if it happened and switch focus to that app in 2 gestures. It's a lot more natural and faster than on a desktop focused UI. It feels more "mobile" and you want more "mobile" on a mobile device is the point.

I still have uses for tablets and laptops though, each have their strengths, and instead of carrying around both devices everywhere I go, like I currently do, I can just carry around one device that satisfies both use cases. If you're not someone that owns a tablet and a laptop and takes them everywhere then I can maybe see the confusion. But the desire for such a thing exists absolutely.

The added bonus is having android games which also have touchscreen UIs vs desktop ones that mainly only have mouse and keyboard. Look at the shitty catalog of "metro games" for windows 8, they're both aimed at the same market as android, but one's library is vastly superior both in quantity and quality to the other. Also the few games (only 500-1000) that support hardware controls, using a bluetooth controller is more or less universal without having to switch settings. Some games on steam allow you to do this, but I find most of the games require tinkering to get them to work, (if my windows tab is capable) where the android games with hardware control support just work out of the box. Not to mention they are nowhere near as fat as some recent desktop games. The windows tabs aren't known for the vast amounts of storage space, I can fit hundreds of halfway decent android games in the same space 1 of the larger desktop titles will fill.

So putting gaming aside for a moment, nobody else sees any of the other potential uses for this? How it could possibly be better than just running windows by it's self on a tablet?

I would think the pandora crowd, the same ones that have a standard linux in addition to running an almost natively booting android on the same device could appreciate the uses here. The very same ones that can appreciate and take great joy in adding to their own catalog entire libraries of other systems though emulation.... even comparatively insignificant or shitty ones like the gp2x or virtual boy... or for god's sake graphing caluclators....

The idea of adding substantial value to an already existing device for not a whole lot of money... nobody's digging it or seeing the point huh?

Jeez, I must be narrow minded. So much so that all these potential uses for it have blinded me from the lack of subjective quality games from people who already dislike or don't even use the platform.
Two things:
  • I'm just not interested in the OS itself. There may be someday an application that interests me, but I have yet to find one that sparks my interest enough so that I want to "visit" Android again. I'm using Android for more then two years now on a daily basis, as I had the choice between an Android (Samsung) device or an iPhone. While I was quite enthusiastic at the beginning, eagerly buying applications, games (mostly Humble Android Bundles), but the more I used the system, the more I did not understand why I could not use it how I liked to do it, or why there were arbitrary limitations. Nowadays, the only things that are not preinstalled are work related applications and some Lego games for my kids.
  • I'm a lazy: I just don't want to switch between two different systems (even if it requires no rebooting). There is one Apple product in our house (because I got it very cheap), and installed iTunes in a VM so I could transfer music to the iPod. It worked fine, there were some connections issues now and then, but nothing really serious. Still I was fed up at some point, grabed an old laptop, installed Windows and iTunes it worked, but as I'm lazy the kids have to nag the hell out of me, till I bring myself to boot that thing in order to put some new audio books on the iPod.Maybe if they would go the route of just emulating the Android environment on an per application basis in the host system (like Parallels on MacOS), there would be some interest on my side.
So bottom line, why should I care about a project that would enable me to use something I could not care less on a device class I also have no interest in? Of course there is always a point in increasing usefullness/versatility, but that applies to a whole lot of other projects out there too.
Hey did you notice that what I meant was "am I MISSING any game by not playing on Android?". Next time before hitting Google and listing games alreayd available on PC and other consoles, take a breath and think a minute about the question you are trying to reply to.

did you notice there was a word there, like mechanism ? So do you consider all emulated games to be poor in terms of mechanics ? Hey, show me the RPGs in 2014 which are more complex than Ultima 7. Dont need to answer, there is none.  

My question was about original games worth it to justify Android. I can play Chrono Trigger just fine without Android on a bunch of other systems.  

Sigh, I honestly don't know what to tell you. I could of course talk about, that these games I listed are just examples of a paradigm shift that has already happened, because these are commercial games, that need sales figures to justify the expenses, and that these kind of "approaches" to the "casual" market would have died off a long time ago if there were no market for it on that certain plattform.Or I could talk about that you implicated (probably unwillingly) that everything that happenend on the gameing market past an aribtrary date, set by yourself, is basically "poop" as it only reiterates on already established mechanisms. Which (of course) is also wrong, as the basic principles, elements and mechanisms already developed a lot earlier then the arbitrary date you set and are reiterated and recombined for a lot longer (-> standing on the shoulder of giants).

This could even go as far as you showing me that my theory that there are basically only two types of games; the ones that are driven by their mechanics and the ones driven by their narrative, has a basic flaw in it. But that would require that you pull the fingers out of your ears, open your eyes, and stop yelling "I know I am right, and I don't want to hear anything else" the whole time, but I guess, that won't happen, or am I wrong again ?

So bottom line, why should I care about a project that would enable me to use something I could not care less on a device class I also have no interest in? Of course there is always a point in increasing usefulness/versatility, but that applies to a whole lot of other projects out there too.
you're right, you shouldn't. Just like I have no interest in running OSX, but I at least respect the utility it has for the people that would want to use it. I have never really bashed it's existence or whatever limited utility I would (wrongfully) presume it had either other than the occasional poke or prod at their general user base. (isheep etc) But it sounds like you get the concept of what it's trying to accomplish, you just won't have any legitimate use for it. But nobody's saying you need to buy into it.

I guess what gets under my skin, the mentality some people have when looking at any project (not any specific one) with extreme distaste rather than just ignoring it's existence because it doesn't interest them. Lots of work goes into these kinds of things. And it becomes obvious all those people are trying to do is dissuade others from supporting it. I get even more frustrated when it's something I get great utility out of though. I bet it's the same feeling people around here get when people start bashing the pandora project, people getting overly defensive because they care so much about it. Mainly when the person doing the critical judgments isn't informed of all the capabilities. I've seen those kinda threads really stir up the hornets nest in the past.

While I'm a minority here with my strong android support. I'm just like the supporters of the pandora, extremely well versed in it's capabilities, and when someone comes along and spouts uninformed critical opinions, I feel it's my duty to jump in and try to educate. That old "hold on, someone's wrong on the internet" picture. I find myself relating to that a lot when anything android related comes along.

The real problem is when those that have been informed in great length and with citations whenever possible still choose to ignore those corrections and continue to spew the same ignorance over and over all over the place like as if they hadn't heard it. It becomes rather frustrating. One of the reasons I try not to respond to certain individuals on here, but they always seem to want to put their 2 cents into any android related thread.

So bottom line, why should I care about a project that would enable me to use something I could not care less on a device class I also have no interest in? Of course there is always a point in increasing usefulness/versatility, but that applies to a whole lot of other projects out there too.
you're right, you shouldn't. Just like I have no interest in running OSX, but I at least respect the utility it has for the people that would want to use it. I have never really bashed it's existence or whatever limited utility I would (wrongfully) presume it had either other than the occasional poke or prod at their general user base. (isheep etc) But it sounds like you get the concept of what it's trying to accomplish, you just won't have any legitimate use for it. But nobody's saying you need to buy into it.

I guess what gets under my skin, the mentality some people have when looking at any project (not any specific one) with extreme distaste rather than just ignoring it's existence because it doesn't interest them. Lots of work goes into these kinds of things. And it becomes obvious all those people are trying to do is dissuade others from supporting it. I get even more frustrated when it's something I get great utility out of though. I bet it's the same feeling people around here get when people start bashing the pandora project, people getting overly defensive because they care so much about it. Mainly when the person doing the critical judgments isn't informed of all the capabilities. I've seen those kinda threads really stir up the hornets nest in the past.

While I'm a minority here with my strong android support. I'm just like the supporters of the pandora, extremely well versed in it's capabilities, and when someone comes along and spouts uninformed critical opinions, I feel it's my duty to jump in and try to educate. That old "hold on, someone's wrong on the internet" picture. I find myself relating to that a lot when anything android related comes along.

The real problem is when those that have been informed in great length and with citations whenever possible still choose to ignore those corrections and continue to spew the same ignorance over and over all over the place like as if they hadn't heard it. It becomes rather frustrating. One of the reasons I try not to respond to certain individuals on here, but they always seem to want to put their 2 cents into any android related thread.
duty_calls.png

Back