Console OS: Dual-Boot Android, Remastered for The PC

lol... this is such a bad idea! who'd pledge money for this?

I pledged, this is a fantastic idea... Full ARM binary capable, that means the entire android catalog to include NDK created apps. I need to ask them if they implemented things like neon, but generic ARM code was confirmed to work.

They also want to do a hypervisor and get linux up as well. This is an amazing project, if you don't agree please elaborate on why you think so.

Edit;

Please note, this is way more than x86 android, or bluestacks, this is like qemu+wine but instead of windows, its android, and instead of emulating x86, its emulating ARM, and instead of running it in an app, its natively booting. With a hypervisor you can run both OS's in parallel.... Amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:
347iv6s.jpg

Android may be the most popular OS because people purchase more mobile devices than computers now.  It may not be on desktops because it is designed for small mobile devices that don't have keyboards and mice.

I won't touch that gaming on Android itself, or why you would need Android and windows...

So due to this your high end mobile device will not be able to play most games because they are being made for full powered x86 based computers, or the games on your computer will suck because they are designed for less powerful mobile devices.

Couldn't you use a VM for the same thing?

Android, huh...

Laughing_Data.jpg

I guess it could be useful for devs and such.

you *could* do a vm, but you would want to run this os on the machine anyway, they did a side by side with qemu (android sdk) and it's nowhere near the same level of performance. Bluestacks is better performance but suffers in compatibility, but still doesn't touch the compatibility or performance of this. This looks literally light years above the other solutions to the same problem. x86 android is the best performer because it's native boot, but it's not arm binary capable... so this is the "whole package"

they are focusing on touchscreen windows tabs as their main targets. Desktop with no touchscreen... yea, not really the best. x86 tabs are where it's going to shine, I have an asus transformerbook t100 that is first on their list of supported hardware, and I can see it making my windows tab into a full windows laptop, that can easily convert to an android tab on the fly. And not shitty like windows RT, or incompatible like x86 android dual boot laptops already on the market. This is functionally fixing an already existing market, even if small. But not as small as just the dev market.

They show android games that only perform halfway decent on top of the line ARM devices, and they ran them BETTER than they ran on the best android devices. Now will you get the same kind of performance out of the baytrails that are in the same league of top of the line ARM a15's??? probably not... but for that, they are targetting haswell i5/i7 chips as well that also have the "2 in 1" form factor with touch screen. And for those it's going to smoke the hell out of any ARM chip.

While the android game market doesn't have as good of a catalog as the PC, it's only expanding what games are capable of being ran on the PC. Exclusive android apps won't be isolated to just your tablet. But I think the main focus on which apps are ran are the touch screen centric apps. Windows and linux desktop envrionments suck for touchscreen. But there is a use case for owning a tablet, and there's one for owning a laptop. This combines the two in what I think is an acceptable trade off solution. And hell... it's $10. When you want to use your convertible tablet as a tablet... and have the option to use it as a real laptop when you want.

While the android game market doesn't have as good of a catalog as the PC, it's only expanding what games are capable of being ran on the PC. Exclusive android apps won't be isolated to just your tablet. But I think the main focus on which apps are ran are the touch screen centric apps.
I don't think anybody cares of having Android games playable on the PC, because most of the catalog is so bad, so outdated in graphics or mechanism, only casual gamers would even consider something like that, and casual gamers don't even need a PC anymore these days, they do all their stuff on a tablet instead.

More importantly, the PC/console-OS will NEVER be the target hardware for Android games, so they will never use the power available on these desktop platforms to the max - so you can't expect to get high quality games coming to the PC from the Android world anyway.

Gee, if people really wanted to play Android games, everyday would have got an Ouya by now. Seems like nobody is interested in it anymore.

I'm getting mine in the anticipation that one time, in the not too distant future, there will be a nice emu front end for Android, better than Gamesome, which I'll use within Console-OS.

I know there's a number of these already available as options on Windows, but some are a pain to configure.

Plus there are a few Android games I quite enjoy still, casual games mainly, like Stickman Golf which is still a great game to play for five mins or an hour

honestly the vast majority of the android game are made to play with two thumbs on a touchscreen... and these games completely suck on a PC... this feel utterly useless as a user... for dev I could imagine it will be useful trough...

what else could this statement apply to... hmm?
Not sure what you are referring to here.

anyway, I don't speak to you, feel free to continue your ignorant cherry picked arguments.
Yeah, so you're the one who knows everything, and everyone else who doesn't agree with your narrow viewpoint of reality is an ignorant. I got your point.  

Not sure what you are referring to here.
The Pandora ??? At least the games on it fit the criteria you gave...

Yeah, so you're the one who knows everything, and everyone else who doesn't agree with your narrow viewpoint of reality is an ignorant. I got your point.
I disagree, alle you did was ranting about Android games and completely missed the point people, that backed the project, see in it. Why is it so hard to accept that Android is a prospering platform, gameing wise ? You may not like it, and I certainly don't like it, but more and more games that are produced for Android now have already outgrown the initial "casual lowcost rippof" scheme and evolving into something that isn't meant to keep you busy for "the ten minutes inbetween".

You may not like it, and I certainly don't like it, but more and more games that are produced for Android now have already outgrown the initial "casual lowcost rippof" scheme and evolving into something that isn't meant to keep you busy for "the ten minutes inbetween".
I still fail to see good games on Android. That was my whole point. Tell me what games I am missing out by not enjoying gaming on Android. Do they have anything as good as Chrono Trigger? As interesting as The Witcher ? Any car simulations worthy of my time ? Please, impress me.  

The Pandora ??? At least the games on it fit the criteria you gave...
THe Pandora certainly does not fit the same criteria. With emulators on Pandora you can have access to games that may be depreciated in terms of graphics, but which are great in terms of contents, mechanics and so on. Try playing DosBox games with on screen controls on Android for a good laugh. 

Emulated games are far superior to any of the shiny recent Android games ever made available. That's why people still love retro. It's not just nostalgia, it's the fact that some of the best games are not the most recent ones. 

I still fail to see good games on Android. That was my whole point. Tell me what games I am missing out by not enjoying gaming on Android. Do they have anything as good as Chrono Trigger? As interesting as The Witcher ? Any car simulations worthy of my time ? Please, impress me.
Why do I need to do this ? Aren't you able to use a search engine of your choice ? I don't know if they have anything as "good" as Chrono Trigger, as "interesting" as The Witcher or any car simulation, as these games are as interesting to me as the wall I currently look at. There are all kinds of games available like :
- Simon the Sorcerer 1+2

- Broken Sword 1+2

- The Cave

- Trine 1+2

- GTA 3

- GTA San Andreas

- R-type(s)

- Metal Slug

- Little Big Adventure

- Portal

- Half Life 2

and thats just a few, out of my head. If you really insist I can go on about it, but why should I do that as you obviously have your mind already set about the "crap" game plattform

Edit:

THe Pandora certainly does not fit the same criteria. With emulators on Pandora you can have access to games that may be depreciated in terms of graphics, but which are great in terms of contents, mechanics and so on. Try playing DosBox games with on screen controls on Android for a good laugh.

Emulated games are far superior to any of the shiny recent Android games ever made available. That's why people still love retro. It's not just nostalgia, it's the fact that some of the best games are not the most recent ones.
Of course it does:

"most of the catalog is so bad, so outdated in graphics or mechanism" was the description you gave, can't see were it does not apply.

- Simon the Sorcerer 1+2

- Broken Sword 1+2

- The Cave

- Trine 1+2

- GTA 3

- GTA San Andreas

- R-type(s)

- Metal Slug

- Little Big Adventure

- Portal

- Half Life 2
which are all also available for the PC... I've yet to find some android only game that are good for something else than a quick game session in public transports...

Back