projectQ Motherboard - Run Any OS

hum, what is the point? I don't really understand...

Can it run Tandy OS-9?, how about VAX/VMS? HP-UX or no sale.

I can't say I've ever had a problem running my operating systems of choice (except that one time I tried to install FreeDOS on a PC with a SATA drive, that was weird). Clearly when it says "any operating system" it's referring to x86 architecture systems, but exactly what problem is it trying to solve?

allowing you to boot OSX without having to play with EFI maybe? but that wouldn't change a single thing since you would still have no right to install it on that computer...

I can't say I've ever had a problem running my operating systems of choice (except that one time I tried to install FreeDOS on a PC with a SATA drive, that was weird). Clearly when it says "any operating system" it's referring to x86 architecture systems, but exactly what problem is it trying to solve?
maybe an open source firmware?

who knows... their kickstarter page is not very specific...

They are known for producing systems that can run OSX, so I'd imagine by any OS they are including it.  Look at the ports.

Still sounds very far from "any". Silly thing.

Piece of garbage, i can't believe ppl invest in this.

Probably a PC pre-loaded with a Linux, and using Qemu-kvm (or not kvm) to boot "all OSes".

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just a motherboard right? this is an interesting way to get some PR.

maybe an open source firmware?

who knows... their kickstarter page is not very specific...
unless it's running coreboot.. I doubt that.

The motherboard is created by a very reputable company, Gigabyte USA as an exclusive OEM project.
So... it's a gigabyte Z77 motherboard (but customised) with firewire, thunderbolt and usb3.

But unless I'm missing some link, there's no real specs on it. How many sata2 and sata3 ports, and using which controllers? How about usb ports? I could look at the pic and guess at the sockets (such as 4 black sata sockets and 2 white, which are probably 4 sata2 and 2 sata3).

There's no way I'd buy a motherboard where I have to guess it's features based on a photo of a prototype.

Some more details

ALC892 Audio Codec

Intel 82574L LAN

2 Cactus Ridge thunderbolt ports

1 PCIE x16 @ x16 slot

1 PCIE x16 @ x8 slot

2 PCIE x1 slots

4 SATA II ports

2 SATA III ports

1 FireWire 400 port

2 USB 3.0 ports

4 USB 2.0 ports

UEFI instead of BIOS

Basically this is a motherboard that will let you run OSX (thus the supporting ports) . Quo came about after Apple sued Psystar who made Mac Pro clones a few years back. Quo started making mac clones without OSX preloaded to stay out of Apples legal radar. However it has been said that would be the next company Apple would sue, it never happened.

The KS page is short on details like namely OS supported deliberately. They don't want to get sued, in fact the creators have asked people not to mention OS support in the comments.

So basically this is a reasonably priced board which can run standard OS plus and specifically OSX. it provides a cheap way to make your own Mac Pro basically.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, since it's illegal to install mac OSX on that you have others solutions to install OSX on other cheaper hardware, don't you?

well, since it's illegal to install mac OSX on that you have others solutions to install OSX on other cheaper hardware, don't you?
What cheaper HW, this is a custom board that provides the necessary ports etc that you need to get OSX running properly. IMO it's reasonably priced. It's pretty much the only option you have , other boards don't provide all the necessary bits.

As far as legal is concerned , it's a tricky one. They are not doing anything wrong by providing just the board, and you wouldn't be doing anything wrong loading your paid for OSX on it. This is how I imagine they are not getting sued

you can't install your paid OSX as it's against the eula you accepted when buying OSX... but I guess that depends on the country and previous judgments...

you can't install your paid OSX as it's against the eula you accepted when buying OSX... but I guess that depends on the country and previous judgments...
Not sure on whether the OSX terms limit you from loading it on other HW. Have you read that in the terms?

In any event , they are not breaking any laws by providing the board, and it's really the only board that you can create a hackintosh with properly (ie it includes the necessary ports etc). These guys were previously known for developing quality hackintoshs minus OSX preloaded which is what got Psystar sued.

Isn't thunderbolt propitery ? Also I like how in every article on the video it says Mac clone . I'd buy one just to anger apple if they were cheap enough .

Back