Console OS: Dual-Boot Android, Remastered for The PC

The interface is my main attraction for the touchscreen device though. I use my finger to navigate on a touchscreen, I don't need or use a stylus for anything but writing notes. With the windows tab, the "metro UI" tries to fix this and give you a much better UI in which to open/run programs, but it still fails to hit areas like program menus and stuff like that. It doesn't feel as natural, is it capable? Yea. Does it try? Sure, but is it good? No. Android's framework and all menus get the full screen real estate and options are large and going back and forth between options is about at quick as can be and still not be cumbersome. System notifications for when you get new emails, or texts, music, facebook shit, and all the other stuff, you can see updates when it happens rather than checking to see if it happened and switch focus to that app in 2 gestures. It's a lot more natural and faster than on a desktop focused UI. It feels more "mobile" and you want more "mobile" on a mobile device is the point.
There is one program that I have purchased for use on Android, and that is currently the only thing I want or need Android for.  I also have a much more expensive version of it that is for a completely different type of device that has physical controls, amongst other things, that I like much more, and yet it is far more limited.  It just works better for me.  The guy who made both did an awesome job of carrying over the layout from the original version to work with the touchscreen for Android, and I do use it for some things, but for general purpose use I personally prefer things other than Android.

I do see the value of Android, and like some things about it.  I have pushed the use of Android in my family to help sway them away from Apple and Microsoft based mobile devices*.  What I hope we get with Pyra is stuff that will allow me quick access to the information I will need on the go, such as text messages and being able to answer calls or look at missed calls, and email, by just flipping it open and seeing everything there.  Music is a plus, but social networking is a more of a distraction, and if I want to bother with that I will do it when I am at home.  The UI of Android is great for what it was designed for, so we fully agree on that.  I was under the assumption that Console OS was intended for desktops or traditional laptops, but I do see the value of it for those using 2 in 1 tablets.  They are just not my thing, and are a big part of what pushed me back toward my interest in the Pandora, resulting in my long overdue purchase.

We do have some tablets, but none were purchased for me.  The closest I have for myself is an older ebook reader that I still see no reason to replace.  One thing that would get me interested in a tablet, or possibly a phablet, is a specific well designed UI.  I have wanted LCARS for decades.  People are still working at it, as they have been for a long time, and many improvements in functionality seem to be coming along, but for the most part it is just eye candy.  That is why I want it, but I want it to be fully functional also.  I was looking at something of the sort on Android, but have yet to purchase it since I don't currently use Android much and it isn't yet up to the level I think it needs to be, although it seems the woman behind it is devoted to it being good.  So, yeah, give me Android, or anything, that functions like LCARS as it was originally shown, with all the benefits and notifications of Android on a tablet...THAT I am very interested in.  A real PADD!

*I think we still have an ipod touch floating around, and there is at least one windows laptop that was needed "for school and minecraft" even though I insisted that these were not at all valid excuses, as I have used Linux for both.  My family is fairly familiar with Linux since it is what I have installed on most of our computers for about the last 10 years, and they know their way around using KDE and GNOME, and also how to do everything required for day to day activity, or do a search for things beyond that.  I still don't know why the Windows laptop was wanted or "needed" but since it wasn't for my use I agreed with the caveat that if I am required to "fix it" it may not be returned with Windows intact.  This is actually how they were first exposed to Linux.

So bottom line, why should I care about a project that would enable me to use something I could not care less on a device class I also have no interest in? Of course there is always a point in increasing usefulness/versatility, but that applies to a whole lot of other projects out there too.
 you're right, you shouldn't. Just like I have no interest in running OSX, but I at least respect the utility it has for the people that would want to use it. I have never really bashed it's existence or whatever limited utility I would (wrongfully) presume it had either other than the occasional poke or prod at their general user base. (isheep etc) But it sounds like you get the concept of what it's trying to accomplish, you just won't have any legitimate use for it. But nobody's saying you need to buy into it.

I guess what gets under my skin, the mentality some people have when looking at any project (not any specific one) with extreme distaste rather than just ignoring it's existence because it doesn't interest them. Lots of work goes into these kinds of things. And it becomes obvious all those people are trying to do is dissuade others from supporting it. I get even more frustrated when it's something I get great utility out of though. I bet it's the same feeling people around here get when people start bashing the pandora project, people getting overly defensive because they care so much about it. Mainly when the person doing the critical judgments isn't informed of all the capabilities. I've seen those kinda threads really stir up the hornets nest in the past.

While I'm a minority here with my strong android support. I'm just like the supporters of the pandora, extremely well versed in it's capabilities, and when someone comes along and spouts uninformed critical opinions, I feel it's my duty to jump in and try to educate. That old "hold on, someone's wrong on the internet" picture. I find myself relating to that a lot when anything android related comes along.

The real problem is when those that have been informed in great length and with citations whenever possible still choose to ignore those corrections and continue to spew the same ignorance over and over all over the place like as if they hadn't heard it. It becomes rather frustrating. One of the reasons I try not to respond to certain individuals on here, but they always seem to want to put their 2 cents into any android related thread.
duty_calls.png
Hahaha, I love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Android is particularly well served for emulators & has some fantastic ones amongst all the crap.. the ability to play those with more screen real estate, added graphical bells/whistles, control options etc is very appealing indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer Android over iOS and Windows, any day.

Also, I prefer GNU/Linux over Android.

My preference relation is transitive.
I prefer everything with a real UI (except Apple) over Smartphone UI.

If Android had XFCE I' like it a lot more.

Back