Commercial Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
'OrR' said:
I've been sending out emails for about a year now... Also, I don't think you get the point of an open system. Nobody forces you to buy commercial games or give money to the dev fund. Also, I'm pretty sure that the dev fund is still supposed to fund free and open source development.
What success have you had for your year's worth of effort? As for the developers fund, its purpose remains a mystery since its conception last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I may as well chime with my thoughts.

Although I like the idea of commercial games on the pandora, and I would buy many of the suggested titles. I would much rather the time and money be invested in setting up a dedicated set of video and/or written tutorials for pandora development.

I work as a C programmer for a UK company that make fruit machines (slot machines), so I can program, in C and C++ but I only have a little experience programming in a windows environment, and the rest of my experience is coding for real-time computing on our own custom fruit machine technologies. I have absolutely no experience with Linux at all.

I have pre-ordered the pandora and am looking for to gaming, browsing, listening to music and watching videos on it etc. But I would really like to get into development but I don't know where to start.

I know it's quite a lot to ask but some top quality tutorials from experience programmers with this type of device would really help give people like me a great start.

No we don't need to pay twice for all the commercial games, just for a few. After some ports the platform will look more interesting to other developers. They will start developing without asking for some money first.

Also when the CNC is done and deliverd , pics are up on the web, craig will be looking at topics. And he will chose some commercial games.

About the delays:

They happen at nintendo , sony and microsoft too (well not at microsoft, they only care about the release date ,not at fixing bugs (lucky I didnt had a RRoD yet)) only those don't mention it, they dont tell us anything about a project until it is 3/4rd finished. So stop crying and be realistic

'DisgruntleElf' said:
'OrR' said:
I've been sending out emails for about a year now... Also, I don't think you get the point of an open system. Nobody forces you to buy commercial games or give money to the dev fund. Also, I'm pretty sure that the dev fund is still supposed to fund free and open source development.
What success have you had for your year's worth of effort? As for the developers fund, its purpose remains a mystery since its conception last year.

he has contacted many commercial games developers, there's a topic around here with a nice list and description of the status (lazy to search)
I hope the dev fund goes towards coding competitions, or give to famous projects (ie: psx emulator, snes emulator, etc)

The point of the thread is to get opinions. Not to tell people to go out and harrass companies for games. Craig is suggesting a possible effort to make the Pandora look more appealing once they make it out of "start up" mode.

It's a community project he's just asking for ideas fromthe community, and of course generate conversation in a forum where most people are salivating for something new. I meanthe thread is like what a week and a half old? with 17 or 18 pages already? People want something to talk about while they wait other wise topics start to drift aimlessly.

True, and I think there have been some very interesting comments and conclusions in this thread so far.

'DisgruntleElf' said:
What success have you had for your year's worth of effort?
I have gotten some of my favorite developers on the hook. Of course, as the device isn't out yet, it remains to be seen how successful I was but I am quite optimistic. Also, I've been doing it slowly because there isn't that much to talk about as long as there is no device to develop on. The response has generally been pretty positive, often more positive than I'd have suspected.

'Mithrildor' said:
About the delays:

They happen at nintendo , sony and microsoft too only those don't mention it, they dont tell us anything about a project until it is 3/4rd finished. So stop crying and be realistic
Not a very realistic comparison...

'OrR' said:
Orly?

You're da man, rly.
@topic:
I say yes, invest in a commercial game port for the pandora.

There are some people asking important questions:

1. Does it have to be a multiplayer game? And does mutliplayer only include local (via wifi/bt
or additional USB controller) or even online gameplay? In most (console) cases, additional netcode
would have to be written.

2. Considering Console games: Are they already (easily) availible via emulation? Then the answer
should be thought over twice.

3. Considering selection criteria:
-gameplay exclusiveness
-storyline quality
-abundance and excellence in graphical content (preferrably pushing pandora hw to its limits)
-multiplayer? (see above)

4. How likely is the cooperation between openPandora and a major(?) game developer/rights owner?

All I can do now is list my console/PC favourites:

pc:
--------------------------------------
Gothic (PART ONE OR TWO! FU FOR RUINING PART 3!)
Aquanox 1 (PART ONE! FU WHO EVER RUINED THE SEQUEL!)
Mafia (GTA for adults)
Baldur's Gate or maybe Neverwinter Nights (You've got to have some D&D)
Operation Flashpoint (highly moddable and absolutely awesome, may well be impossible)
(Quake 1 - already there)
(Eve Online - adorable but alas impossible)

dc:
Panzer Dragoon Zwei & Saga
Shen Mue
Soul Calibur
Headhunter
Power Stone
Phantasy Star Online

saturn:
Three Dirty Dwarves
Dragon Force
ManxTT
Guardian Heroes
Burning Rangers
Die Hard Arcade

I'm bound to have forgotten stuff... consider post incomplete.
Greetings from Germany ,o/

'Mithrildor' said:
This is what the 2D engine requires:
Doesnt seem very possible to me.
I'll just reply with a link:
CODE

http://www.garagegames.com/products/tge/iphone

I'd say torque for Pandora would be very much possible. ;)

'kuru' said:
(Eve Online - adorable but alas impossible)

Haven't you heard? It's already coming...
CODE
http://tinyurl.com/pandeve

also lol'd at the 'gta for adults comment'. prick.

hwo abot fallout 3????? i think tha tcould work fine or maebe grand thet auto ok maybe not 4 but wat about san andreas????? vice city????? they should pay to port th egrand theft aut.o enine. that woudl be great

Please, use a smaller image for your signature and at least try to make your posts readable. No need for more then 1 "?", you regularly switch letters inside of words and your spaces don't distinct the words...

'Username' said:
hwo abot fallout 3????? i think tha tcould work fine or maebe grand thet auto ok maybe not 4 but wat about san andreas????? vice city????? they should pay to port th egrand theft aut.o enine. that woudl be great
Because people who play Valve games are on such a high level of intellect than those of the GTA series.
(that was sarcasm, please see exhibit 1a. facepunch studios forums)

Lol Fallout 3, my favorite game.

Anyway that isnt possible , but still a great joke.

PEOPLE WE LOOK AT WHAT GAMES REQUIRE A XBOX 360 GAME ISNT POSSIBLE
ALSO
WHEN A GAME IS QUITE NEW AND IS MADE BY A LARGE PROFFESIONAL DEVELOPER DONT EXPECT IT TO BE PORTED

now everyone is going to make only posts with games that are realistic to be ported to the pandora else I come to your house to kick your ass off this planet.

www.Interplay.com
has many different Games that could work on the Pandora.

Jens

I find some new really addictive game that would be great on Pandora from the Arkedo studio. Small studio (4 persons) with some really inventive games
Nervous brickdown or Big bang mini

www.arkedo.com
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACP8GRPjWWI
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VeZ_dHVWqM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back