Citadel: Mmo Platform Game Concept

Flash Example of Character Animation

It's pretty basic, I didn't spend much time on the artwork. (Game sprites will be much nicer)
Flash deciding to crash halfway through, taking all the animation keys with it didn't help... the original looked better than this, but oh well. :(

oh wow, that looks pretty good!
seems like it wouldn't be that hard to implement either

randomly, since vector art is easier to adjust to different resolutions, what if the char/levels were drawn with vector art but LOOK like pixel art? (i happen to like the way pixel art looks :] ) it would look good, and be easily transferrable between pandora, pc resolution etc....

Tastie said:
randomly, since vector art is easier to adjust to different resolutions, what if the char/levels were drawn with vector art but LOOK like pixel art? (i happen to like the way pixel art looks :] ) it would look good, and be easily transferrable between pandora, pc resolution etc....
It'd have to be done as a filter at the end of the rendering process, otherwise you'd end up with rotated pixels which wouldn't look so great...

Last edited by a moderator:
Kagato said:
Tastie said:
It'd have to be done as a filter at the end of the rendering process, otherwise you'd end up with rotated pixels which wouldn't look so great...

I'm sure a pixel shader of some sort could do this. However, making one global pixel shader for it would probably look pretty bad, and then you're getting into the territory of making some sort of palette for every sprite and tile and attaching that to the pixel shader so it knows how to make it look good, which might be a lot of extra work.

The character demo is pretty cool, but *please* don't make the slash animation as long... the guy pulls back the sword waay too far, which will only annoy players ;)

It was only a quick demo, partly as some Flash practice for me. Not representative of final artwork in any way.

Probably not much in the way of updates this week, I just started a new job.

Well.
It's been 2 months and I haven't touched any of my hobby projects, let alone something this expansive. I was deluding myself to think I had enough time to work on a project of this scope.

As I said earlier in the thread:
Kagato said:
If it later turns out I can't follow through, I'd hand over the reins rather than let the project die, of course.

So I'm doing exactly that. I'm throwing Citadel open if anyone wants to dive in.
I've set the wiki to public access. (I hope the vandals don't move in.)

Feel free to take it wherever you like... if no-one's done anything with it by the time I get some time (hahahaha) I'll jump back into it, otherwise do with it what you will.

I still plan on developing, but in the meantime I'll be sticking to more manageable projects.

Back