Community Mmo

SharQueDo said:
Although I believe Viking does have a point (about that it needs games), Pandora does already have a succesful concept (and the developers behind it already set up two similiar handhelds), plus a strong community behind it.
I'm not that smart. ;)

SharQueDo said:
My idea is, why not utulize the 'new' Wi-Fi and 3d functionality? Lets start concepting a MMO game (like, an RPG) for Pandora together (everyone plotting ideas in this/a new thread, and then everyone voting), and set up a strong community-driven team to build it? Like, a 'mascotte game' for Pandora (like Mario is for Nintendo, Sonic is for Sega, etc). A good game is also good reputation, which in turn can attract more people to buy a Pandora. Plus it can be shipped with the actual thing once it's playable.
While this is all well and good, you need to find the developers who are willing to do this in the first place. We can all sit here and debate whether it's a good idea, but first you'd need to find out if there's enough hands in the first place.

If you are serious about this, the first thing to do would be to create a more specific thread about the game you want to work on, describing all the details you know so far, and ask if there's others out there who'd like to join in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Java jake, maybe a poll to see what would draw most users?

I wouldn't be sad if there where some changes to how it worked compared to for ex. WoW, GW, DDO, EQ etc but for ex. even while I don't really like it I would for ex. use a target based system for combat like WoW as apposed to a line based one like DDO since the screen is small and controls analog etc making it easier to have fast battles but still feel like you can actually hit your enemy.
If you're going for that sort of combat, otherwise FF7 style combat is nice but would kill the PvP element.

Also I would make it more craftable / experienced based items instead of WoWs random free for all loot feast where a Flower drops one of the best weapons in the game while a Lava giant gives you dust ;)

And putting more effort in to creating quests and the world then to make a cool over detailed 3D model and so on :)

Personally, I would prefer an RPG that allows me to play with a couple of friends through the internet or local WiFi over an MMO type affair. I also want lots of depth. I want a sandbox world in which I can do whatever the hell I want, like Morrowind/Oblivion/GTA.

Furthermore, I'd prefer a Science Fiction or cyberpunk setting over a fantasy one. And remember, giant robots make any game better...

I'm a reasonably talented programmer, but I have virtually no experience writing game engines. I could at least help out writing some of the simpler subroutines, I guess.

atomicthumbs said:
quasist said:
no. see many many previous anti-wine debunkings.

Yes wine wont' work on Pandora since it's not an emulator for a x86 enviroment but a simple API layer that gives linux ability to handle windows calls

and I think a project like this should be native and open source to have the best chance of survival

Dutch_Cap said:
But what about the wine+qemu rebuttal that inevitably comes up?

Then the current rebuttal is: currently qemu doesn't support anymore host emulation on ARM.
It has to be added back. Any taker? ;)

This is a very cool idea. Something like Graal would work nicely, provided it was neater, more entertaining, had better graphics, and was free.

if we wanted to do an mmo, I suggest a zombie apocalypse with controls like gta. think about, if we have a small user base having all our people be survivors in one place makes sense.

It could be centered around one building. poeple will have to defend it and raid the nearby town for supplies. if anyone likes this contact me as I have ideas about how to make it fair and balanched

Hiroe said:
if we wanted to do an mmo, I suggest a zombie apocalypse with controls like gta. think about, if we have a small user base having all our people be survivors in one place makes sense.

It could be centered around one building. poeple will have to defend it and raid the nearby town for supplies. if anyone likes this contact me as I have ideas about how to make it fair and balanched
Where's the PvP element? I think a typical RPG with levels, quests, dragons, swords, etc. would work nicely

well it wouldn't be PvP, it would be PvZ. it might make sense to have more then 1 base, and people can raid other bases for supplies. I'd have to see about balanching this.

I like your idea, I just think that having an MMO where you can't attack anyone, at any time, kindof defeats the purpose

PlopperZ said:
Where's the PvP element?
Simple: when you die, you resurrect as a zombie, intent on eating everyone else's brains. Possibly only if you set an option at the start.

You could probably find some tongue-in-cheek reason to have a zombier machine in the base as well, for those that don't want to have to die before being able to eat their compatriots' brains. Something like abandoned lab, weird chamber, and a "I wonder what this button does?" moment.

Hiroe said:

You had me at "zombie apocalypse". I've been wanting to make a game like that, actually.

Being the sandbox lover I am, though, I think players should be able to move to any part of the game world, and see how long they can survive there. Barracading oneself inside a building would be an obvious strategy, though. But joining a biker gang sounds equally enjoyable. A friend of mine once seduced another man in Fallout, and then proceeded to sell his lover to a slave trader. I think that's the kind of possibilities one should aim for in an RPG.

Dutch_Cap said:
Hiroe said:

You had me at "zombie apocalypse". I've been wanting to make a game like that, actually.

Being the sandbox lover I am, though, I think players should be able to move to any part of the game world, and see how long they can survive there. Barracading oneself inside a building would be an obvious strategy, though. But joining a biker gang sounds equally enjoyable. A friend of mine once seduced another man in Fallout, and then proceeded to sell his lover to a slave trader. I think that's the kind of possibilities one should aim for in an RPG.

...and being the obsessed PvP gamer that I am (see above). Each roll should be played by an actual player (Zombies are players, Humans are players). There should be no NPC's or bots (except for those that say 'OMG Zombies!!' and such)

hmmm... I think I'm actually warming up to this idea.
PM me the rest of your ideas Hiroe.

I think that would be great but hard to code. if anyone wants me to make area maps I will. I can't code for shit but I can do some graphic design.

Hiroe said:
I think that would be great but hard to code. if anyone wants me to make area maps I will. I can't code for shit but I can do some graphic design.
I'm no coder, but it might not be so difficult to code if we based it off of some existing game, rather than if we did it from scratch.

I think players shouldn't play as zombies. they should play as groups of 5 or 10 zombies with an rts like interface.
as for my ideas several new concepts here have mad them defunct. the best plan is to openly discuss it.

I think I have a town hall blueprint somewhere...

Back