Release FreeOrion

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is FreeOrion, an open source tactical space trading and conquest game.
preview1.png

The game use glshim and the speed is ok (for turn by turn game), and also use Python so the wxPython.pnd must be present too.

The relatively low res screen of the Pandora make it quite difficult to play. By default, the game will be on 800x480, so some field may be out of screen. If you use "fake-screen-res" (on by default for Gigahertz and Rebirth), you can also choose 800x600 or 1024x600 virtual resolution. All dialog will fit the screen then, but some text will be more difficult to read.

At least but not least, this game use quite some memory, so a Swapfile is mandatory for CC user, and probably a good idea for Rebirth/Gigahertz.

The game as many parameters to tweak, so maybe the GUI can be adapted...

History log
========

Build 04
-----------

• Uptade to 0.4.6 sources
  • Update libs
  • Switch to Tremor instead of Vorbis for ogg
Build 03
-----------

• Falled back to 0.4.5 sources
  • Removed lto (so "New Game" actually work)
Build 02
-----------

• Latest sources
  • New build, with lto (may be slightly faster)
  • wxPython should unmount correctly now at exit
Build 01
-----------

• Initial build
  • Some Pandora adaptations (screen size / res)

Last edited:
Master of Orion was one of my fav pc games back in the day... will definitely check this out in a couple of weeks (no time for games right now).

Thanks for your superb effort... as always.

New build on repo, to fix the intermitent unmount issue (thanks to nobgu) and with a newer build, cross-compiled with LTO for more speed.

Build 02
-----------

• Latest sources
  • New build, with lto (may be slightly faster)
  • wxPython should unmount correctly now at exit

New build. I removed LTO optim, as it seems to prevent a new galaxy to be created.

Build 03
-----------

• Falled back to 0.4.5 sources
  • Removed lto (so "New Game" actually work)

Some UI patches (against git version) to better adapt it to a smaller screen. Not yet tested on Pandora. I haven't touched the fleet window yet.

View attachment Patches.zip

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Mostly looking fine, but some things don't work as expected (e.g. no sidepanel system display). I probably did something wrong when preparing the patch set. I'll double check (will unfortunately have to wait until next weekend).

Ok, I was too stupid to use git format-patch. The very first patch was missing. Attached.

View attachment 0001-Tweak-side-panel-display-for-small-displays.patch

I'm not sure, why the label to the newly added toolbar size option is missing, but that is just cosmetic. Also note, that (in current freeorion git) the SitRep font size configuration is not available in the options dialog, but requires manual editing of config.xml.

It seems that current git fixed the 'Monsters have weapon strength 0' problem a couple of days ago.

Ok, I was too stupid to use git format-patch. The very first patch was missing. Attached.

View attachment 12701

I'm not sure, why the label to the newly added toolbar size option is missing, but that is just cosmetic. Also note, that (in current freeorion git) the SitRep font size configuration is not available in the options dialog, but requires manual editing of config.xml.

It seems that current git fixed the 'Monsters have weapon strength 0' problem a couple of days ago.

Ok, I'll integrate that, refresh source, and make a new build & package.

All changes working fine now (including the option label text). But there are still frequent crashes on new turn computation (nearly reproducible within the first 5 turns). Maybe my patches are to blame, but I cannot see why.

All changes working fine now (including the option label text). But there are still frequent crashes on new turn computation (nearly reproducible within the first 5 turns). Maybe my patches are to blame, but I cannot see why.

Is it a segfault? I yes, I can try to reproduce on my side and debug it (but I still don't know how to play this game, only going to next turn is enough to have the crash?).

It is a segfault in the freeorion executable (not freeoriond or freeorionca), but with a fresh appdata it is happening less often. It seems to be within libGG, so my changes may be to blame. Can you provide a build with symbols? I think I'll find the problem.

It is a segfault in the freeorion executable (not freeoriond or freeorionca), but with a fresh appdata it is happening less often. It seems to be within libGG, so my changes may be to blame. Can you provide a build with symbols? I think I'll find the problem.

Sure :)

The build is uploaded. It's much bigger (more than 340Mb), still at the same place.

Thanks!

I've found a way to reproduce it: open the planet suitability report (by right clicking on one of the planets in the right panel and choosing the suitability report; notice the invalid image at the top of the report) and then end the turn. It will crash (with high probability) when refreshing the encyclopedia entry at the start of the next turn because somehow an invalid texture is returned from the texture cache.

Unfortunately I don't understand why that happens and I cannot reproduce it in my build on 32bit X86 (using gcc 4.9.2 and standard options used by freeorion's cmake file). I have no clue of C++, but perhaps the code somehow violates the aliasing constraints causing the optimizer to emit wrong code.

The attached patch should work around the problem by removing the invalid image from the suitability report. While it doesn't fix the real cause it is a good idea, because the image takes too much space anyway:)

View attachment 0001-Remove-image-from-top-of-suitability-report.patch

@nobgu: I have updated the PND (same link) with your patch, and I left the debug info for now. Can you try it?

Didn't yet have time to download the new version, but on a train ride yesterday I found the reason for the broken images in the suitability report: case sensitivity. The game is looking for .../art/encyclopedia/planet_environments/PT_OCEAN.png but the file is named .../art/encyclopedia/planet_environments/pr_ocean.png. The other planet types have the same problem. Fixing this (either by changing the file name or fixing the code to reference the correct spelling) would also work around the crash and look better then the 'broken image' image, but removing the image altogether is probably still the best solution for the Pandora's small screen. (And this still doesn't explain the crash.)

Back