Catching up (2012-11-09)

cancel your order and demand a refund. Pay or don't, it's your choice.
Some of us have. Some of us have been waiting for two or more months for a refund and aren't getting answers when asking why.

Apparently ED answered over 1000 mails last week. I have no doubt you will get your answer, you just need patience. Maybe a lot of patience, but hey, nobody said this whole OpenPandora project would be easy.

They are different companies. Also, people are getting their pandoras from ED.

If you haven't gotten yours yet its time to make the distinction. :)

I waited a few years to get mine from craig (preorder), i got my second one from ED (2nd batch) in roughly the time it took to ship it from Germany.

ED is trying as best as he can to get things out of the way between you and your pandora. His options are limited to bending over backwards if you dont place the order directly with his company.

Last edited by a moderator:
cancel your order and demand a refund. Pay or don't, it's your choice.
Some of us have. Some of us have been waiting for two or more months for a refund and aren't getting answers when asking why.

Apparently ED answered over 1000 mails last week. I have no doubt you will get your answer, you just need patience. Maybe a lot of patience, but hey, nobody said this whole OpenPandora project would be easy.

I had patience, a lot of patience to wait 4 years and still be frozen in that status even with a refund :\

I had to wait almost four years for my Pandora (a preorder from October 2008). But I trusted the OpenPandora-Team, because I saw that progress was being made all those years and that they worked hard to get things done while keeping us up to date with all the latest information. And they continue to work hard.

This is not Nintendo, Sony, Apple or some other big corporation with thousands of employees and decades of experience, this is a handful of people drowning in work, and they can't do everything at the same time to get it all done. It takes a long time, that's just the way it is.

If they just wanted your money or "milk" anyone of you, there would have been alternatives that involve much less stress and work. Selling ringtones, for example. ;)

I had to wait almost four years for my Pandora (a preorder from October 2008). But I trusted the OpenPandora-Team, because I saw that progress was being made all those years and that they worked hard to get things done while keeping us up to date with all the latest information. And they continue to work hard.

You see - you have got your Pandora, I'm not and both of us preordered at almost same time-frame. In my case there were no explanation why I'm not getting it when others does and when Craig's queue collapsed (imo after massive refund request) I have decided to get a refund as well because OP Ltd ship start to sinking :\

In my case there were no explanation why I'm not getting it when others does and when Craig's queue collapsed (imo after massive refund request)...

Craig's queue hasn't collapsed, it's still there. What date did you order yours on? I'm pretty sure they're still going in order.

In my case there were no explanation why I'm not getting it when others does and when Craig's queue collapsed (imo after massive refund request)...

Craig's queue hasn't collapsed, it's still there. What date did you order yours on? I'm pretty sure they're still going in order.

I was talking about what happen on beginning of the year. No word/email from OP Ltd when I had try to reach them. After that I read here about massive refunds. As far I see Craig is trying to recover from that situation (post from September) but poor communication over the email regarding refund or getting batch1 Pandora (I have no spare cash to get 1GHz unit or "upgrade" queue - spent too much on KS projects including iCP2) pushed me to swing towards a refund.

Now everything is in Craig hands - to make me happy user of Pandora or refund (less happy).

It'll be interesting to hear the next update. It's kind of time sensitive if they are to arrive this year, which is probably my cut off point for me.

I've asked for my refund at this point. My interest in this project has waned after 3 years, and I'm short on money these days. I guess I've had all I can take for now with the ups and downs of the project.

ED: You're superhuman for keeping the Pandora together after all these setbacks.

Maybe if there's an Open Pandora 2 in the future and I have money, I'll come back to the fold. Best of luck with everything, Craig & ED!

Out of curiosity, what was your order date? I have a feeling the only people who cancel are the ones behind me in the queue.

Any good news from the project? I notice a few units in stock at dragonbox.

I've asked for my refund at this point. My interest in this project has waned after 3 years, and I'm short on money these days. I guess I've had all I can take for now with the ups and downs of the project.

ED: You're superhuman for keeping the Pandora together after all these setbacks.

Maybe if there's an Open Pandora 2 in the future and I have money, I'll come back to the fold. Best of luck with everything, Craig & ED!

My older son's interest has shifted elsewhere after 3 years and I bought him a beagle board xM last year to play with. No, its not a Pandora replacement. But he had wanted to do development on the Pandora. Since his interest has moved on and 3 years have passed, I really could not see upgrading. Also from reading the boards it seems to me that a refund will cost these guys less than supplying a unit since I'm not planning on upgrading. Hopefully they will communicate about the refund process. I wish these guys and the pandora project well. I do want my refund, but would like to arrange it so it works with the plan that Ed and Craig have. Lack of communication will be helpful so I don't have to figure ways to push the refund process. So far PMs have not produced results.

pax

dooble

My older son's interest has shifted elsewhere after 3 years and I bought him a beagle board xM last year to play with. No, its not a Pandora replacement. But he had wanted to do development on the Pandora. Since his interest has moved on and 3 years have passed, I really could not see upgrading. Also from reading the boards it seems to me that a refund will cost these guys less than supplying a unit since I'm not planning on upgrading. Hopefully they will communicate about the refund process. I wish these guys and the pandora project well. I do want my refund, but would like to arrange it so it works with the plan that Ed and Craig have. Lack of communication will be helpful so I don't have to figure ways to push the refund process. So far PMs have not produced results.

pax

dooble

That's unfortunate all around. I do think that it is appreciated the folks that are able to be flexible about repayment and are willing to do so. I'm personally helping out by upgrading my order to ED's shop. I just completed the transaction, so hopefully, they'll be able to clear me and somebody else before too long.

1. I feel milked. This is same feeling we share as a "community of pre-ordered". We always got brand new ways to be milked, or to wait...

I'm sorry, just respect it. I had to pay more, and wait more, and is expected to pay more, no meter is it LCD cable, pre-order, extra order, Pandora 2, quick delivery...

THIS IS THE FACT.

While I can sympathize with some of your other points, I have to strongly disagree with this one. Nobody is getting milked, nobody has put a gun to your head and told you to keep buying every single upgrade. If the whole thing gets too expensive for you, you should do the only right thing: give up, cancel your order and demand a refund. Pay or don't, it's your choice.

Wow, your reply just reeks of arrogance and a lack of knowledge around what is happening here. The problem is anyone can cancel their order, but they are NOT getting their money refunded. There are promises to refund eventually, but as of right now, I don't think any refunds are being given out as Craig's company is shipping out stuff (extremely slowly) as money trickles in. Some folks that have paid for upgraded 1GHz machines have also not received their units from Craig either. He is working and promising to solve this situation, but Craig's bi-polar (nice/nasty) communication style does not exactly build confidence.

So here are the options for an early supporter of this project with an outstanding Pandora pre-order

1) Cancel their order

Problem: Not really an option. Refunds are not being given right now. And many feel refunds will never come.

2) Wait for their order.

Problem: How long should someone have to wait that is reasonable? I ordered on Dec 1, 2009. As of last week I have not received my original Pandora order (more on this later.) So for most folks waiting with no clear communication is not a solution.

3) Upgrade to 1GHz.

Problem: Craig has not shipped 1GHz units to some folks that ordered them. So sending him more money seems like a black hole with no assurance the item will actually ship. Ed wisely will not send any Pandora's to Craig until he receives payment - which means Ed has units in stock while folks that ordered from Craig are not getting anything delivered.

So options 1 and 2 are not looking viable at all. And before you go and say they are think a bit and remember that folks have been receiving promises for three years waiting for their order. So don't denigrate someone for not exactly having an endless supply of trust.

So the only option that looks remotely viable is Option 3 - which certainly looks like you are getting milked for more money in the hope that you get a Pandora. (Ante up the money or never get a Pandora is what it looks like to a lot of pre-orderers.) Maybe you don't like the word "milked" being used? I think that was a polite substitute for "extortion" - which also is entirely appropriate to use when the only viable option you see involves paying more money.

I am in the fortunate position to be able to afford upgrading my order to a 1GHz unit. But for a lot of people the money they already spent on a pre-order is a LOT of money for them. And they are not in the position to be able to merely upgrade their order - so I can completely understand their frustration with the situation right now. They paid for their Pandora and have received nothing.

Despite having the funds to upgrade to 1GHz I have absolutely no intention of giving more money to Craig as I don't trust that my money will actually be used to pay for MY order. Rather I fear my money will go to fund another person's order that has not yet been fulfilled. This looks awfully like a pyramid funding scheme where eventually folks get stuck with nothing.

For me, I just kept waiting and waiting stuck in a perpetual loop where there were no viable options that I could trust. Option 1 - Nope. Option 2 - Nope. Option 3 - Nope. Finally I noticed that I could order a 1GHz upgrade from Ed's shop directly and he even has units in stock! The moment I found this Option 4 I ordered and my Pandora is now actually in the mail on the way.

For those interested here is the link to Ed's store for pre-orders. https://www.dragonbo...ndora-1ghz.html

So I have a solution for myself, but for many that is not an option and I can totally respect their frustration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Option 3 usually works via my ship. You get a voucher from Craig which you can use with my shop to get the 1GHz Pandora for a massively reduced price and free shipping.

So you don't send any money to Craig, you send it directly to my account and the unit will ship.

That was his Option 4, which he went for. Don't worry I missed it at first too :)

Yeah, I got on a very long-winded ramble there. Hopefully some of my points came across.

Option 4 - Order upgrade from Ed directly. That is the way to go in my opinion.

It removed me from Craig's queue, gave money to Ed and I get a Pandora soon... not sure what I will do with it after all this waiting, but it should be fun to tinker with it over the holidays!

That was his Option 4, which he went for. Don't worry I missed it at first too :)

Yeah, I got on a very long-winded ramble there. Hopefully some of my points came across.

Option 4 - Order upgrade from Ed directly. That is the way to go in my opinion.

It removed me from Craig's queue, gave money to Ed and I get a Pandora soon... not sure what I will do with it after all this waiting, but it should be fun to tinker with it over the holidays!

Oh, don't let the fun stop there, you can always hand it off to the neighbors in the still sealed box and let them go on a road trip with it. Perhaps taking photos of it in front of famous landmarks. :p

Seriously though, I'm in the same basic position, I upgraded my order yesterday, so I could have it in about a month. Mostly because I'm having it shipped to my parents before they ship it out to me. Getting packages in China can be a bit of a challenge sometimes.

I wish we could upgrade/update the original pre-orders to the 600MHz Rebirth Editions, for a lesser sum than the the 1GHz model ... which I cannot afford.

I'll have to continue the wait, patiently, and enjoy the GCW Zero and iCP2 in the meanwhile.

Back