Case Sneak Peek

If we were to have that Fusion hinge, that would make the PYRA the geekiest toy ever made.  That hinge rivals NASA space shuttle design :D

Not to rain on anyone's parade but the more complex it is, the more likely it is to go wrong, there is a LOT to be said for the kiss principle both in hardware, and in software too!

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I understand it, the two cones represent the actual "lock mechanism" ?

If so, how about having interlocking wafeform patterns on those two surfaces instead of a "positive/negative" hemisphere ? This way hinge would not be bound to only have 2 locking positions.
Yupp, that is where the parts are for but I'm not an "hinge expert", I just made this as an example. I'm sure there are more efficient ways to do the actualy lock pieces but these pieces are separate so everyone could improve them. :D And the 2 hemispheres are locking into actual 3 different positions at the opposite piece. Actualy this would work with only 1 bulb but I made 2 to get the mechaism more rigid. Again, that's not an final tested and actualy design, no clue if this would work at all. ;) This is how the matching counter part (in the lid) looks with it's 3 positions: closed, sloped open, full open:

newhinge6k5jk4.png

If we were to have that Fusion hinge, that would make the PYRA the geekiest toy ever made.  That hinge rivals NASA space shuttle design :D
I hope it's cheaper than a NASA design, more like an Home Depot design. :D
Not to rain on anyone's parade but the more complex it is, the more likely it is to go wrong, there is a LOT to be said for the kiss principle both in hardware, and in software too!
Exactly! It's much harder to make an "simple" design that will work and last forever than making an complex design that may be overengineered and to fragile.I hope my hinge idea is simple enough, it may look like it has to many parts compared to the one piece standard hinge of thePandora but this piece is "closed", has limitations and is also made of alot of parts. ^^"

I actually really like that hinge design; I think thatgui's waveform suggestion would make it spot on. As it doesn't matter which way around you install the hinge, and you'd have a dozen stops, including 90deg

That's personal preference, some people may like the current feeling of the hinge with only a few fix lock positions, others may prefer a "rasterized" hinge that acts more like a ratchet with alot more lock positions. Again, in theory there could be made pieces for each type. :)

Fusion hinge looks interesting. I wonder how much it would cost to prototype?

fusion-ha-o.gif

Quite nice hinge you have made here, Fusion_Power. I would like that in Pyra, although with an additional 90deg locking position. I see only one serious issue with it - the screw will unscrew itself quickly if it's not fastened somehow to the rest (or fits really tight in the nut).

Also, with using any hinge of this size, there is additional problem of wearing the plastic socket where the hinge sits - quickly it becomes loose, like old Dell D600 laptop screen. The sockets on both sides would have to be metal reinforced, or something.

i also prefere some kind of 145 degree'isch laptop like view of my Pandora. I also would like an improved hinge for the pyra.

That hinge design is a nice concept, but you have to understand it's one thing to have a nice design and another to have it manufactured, thoroughly tested and then mass produced. Do you think that can be done in EvilDragon's timeline for the Pyra project?

for a proper and robust hinge - ready to go into a manufactured design could it even be entirely done in a year, testing, compliance, retooling at 90% when you realised you missed something! 

These "simple" things take a lot longer to become reality that they should just looking at them...

That hinge design is a nice concept, but you have to understand it's one thing to have a nice design and another to have it manufactured, thoroughly tested and then mass produced. Do you think that can be done in EvilDragon's timeline for the Pyra project?
I agree with your opinion but in no way should that keep Fusion_Power from presenting his idea to ED for evaluation toward the Pyra(or a future handheld). This goes for anything else from anyone else to defy our public scrutiny here on the board when their suggestion, whether feasible or outlandish, may improve the wares.  :)

I am, like, 99% certain that that's exactly how locking hinges work anyway, the same solution that Nintendo is using now, and exactly what ED would be getting if he paid the money to the hinge company for a "custom" design.

While admirable that you want to help, I don't see what problem you're trying to solve. There's no issue technically getting hinges with multi-positional lock, it's that they cost so much more money because no one sells them off-the-shelf, he'd have to custom order them.

I agree with your opinion but in no way should that keep Fusion_Power from presenting his idea to ED for evaluation toward the Pyra(or a future handheld). This goes for anything else from anyone else to defy our public scrutiny here on the board when their suggestion, whether feasible or outlandish, may improve the wares.  :)
I'm not a gatekeeper of information here on the boards,  did I delete his posts so that EvilDragon couldn't see it? No. 

I have just stated some opinions on the feasibility of the idea. I'm in no way hindering his ideas from reaching ED. 

Quite nice hinge you have made here, Fusion_Power. I would like that in Pyra, although with an additional 90deg locking position. I see only one serious issue with it - the screw will unscrew itself quickly if it's not fastened somehow to the rest (or fits really tight in the nut).
Add as many lock positions as you like, that's the idea. ;)  The screw should not unscrew if tightend enough. And the design is made so that the bolt/axis are "free", they both can rotate 360° because they are not connected to the lock pieces or locked into the case. The entire mechanism is only hold left and right to keep the position and only the lock pieces are slit in the lid/case to rotate with the case itself.

Also, with using any hinge of this size, there is additional problem of wearing the plastic socket where the hinge sits - quickly it becomes loose, like old Dell D600 laptop screen. The sockets on both sides would have to be metal reinforced, or something.
Size is basicly 1:1 to the old Hinge and the plastic can be made thicker there to withstand the force. If the Pandora hinge did not break the case, I doubt this design would. But needs testing of course. Again, some parts of the lock pieces could be also made out of plastic.
I just drop in some ideas, I know there is a big step from idea to final product. But there is nothing, chinese companies can't do within a week. :D And it's basicly just a spring, a bolt and a nut, nothing that has to be re-invented. Existing sizes could be used if they fit in, just the case has to be slightly adjusted to hold the hinge. Custom parts would be the lock-bolts of course. But we know a guy with an big CNC machine, right? ;)
I am, like, 99% certain that that's exactly how locking hinges work anyway, the same solution that Nintendo is using now, and exactly what ED would be getting if he paid the money to the hinge company for a "custom" design.

While admirable that you want to help, I don't see what problem you're trying to solve. There's no issue technically getting hinges with multi-positional lock, it's that they cost so much more money because no one sells them off-the-shelf, he'd have to custom order them.
I only did this for fun, for myself (if I have ideas, they must get out in the wild! ) and maybe to inspire some more talented guys to find a better solution for a good Pyra hinge. ;) Of course this is basicly how hinges may work, why re-invent the wheel. :D The only difference is, this one here would be "our" hinge, it's literally "open", can be easily modded and can be disassembled/fixed by every person.

I have just stated some opinions on the feasibility of the idea. I'm in no way hindering his ideas from reaching ED.
I will not bother ED directly, if he want to comment this, than he can do here of course but it's not like I want to force ED to seriously think about this concept, he has enough to do right now.

maybe to inspire some more talented guys to find a better solution for a good Pyra hinge.
Well that's the thing, the solution isn't a "better" hinge, the solution is finding someone who will make it, or is already making it, for cheap. :p I like your solution, I don't like people trying to suggest ED should go with it because that misses the reason ED is going with the same hinge he already has: money money money.

I will not bother ED directly, if he want to comment this, than he can do here of course but it's not like I want to force ED to seriously think about this concept, he has enough to do right now.
I doubt ED would be "bothered" by well-thought out ideas as he's an adult who can either embrace them or skip them as he's always done. Imagine if the naysayers had their day, as they almost did, with both pairs of shoulder buttons(there's no room, it's too late in production to modify them, can't place them at the corners), but time, research, and some chosen Nintendo DS ifixit.com pics did permit changes from those "rice grain" triggers we almost got.  ;)

maybe to inspire some more talented guys to find a better solution for a good Pyra hinge.
Well that's the thing, the solution isn't a "better" hinge, the solution is finding someone who will make it, or is already making it, for cheap. :p
That's the actual trick, right? "Better" can also mean "better solution for the same price or less". :D Someone has to make it of course, I know. That's a job for Super... uh, for someone who knows how, where, and when this stuff can be made. Wasn't Fatih the guy with the "connections"?
I doubt ED would be "bothered" by well-thought out ideas as he's an adult who can either embrace them or skip them as he's always done. Imagine if the naysayers had their day, as they almost did, with both pairs of shoulder buttons(there's no room, it's too late in production to modify them, can't place them at the corners), but time, research, and some chosen Nintendo DS ifixit.com pics did permit changes from those "rice grain" triggers we almost got.  ;)
We still don't know how good the new triggers will work in practice but let's hope for the best. And I'm 99% sure they are at least the better solution than these first "rice grain" trigger ideas. :D I'm personaly still prefer the new Nintendo 3DS solution (same as the NeoGeo X ) but we know there is just no space for.

The screw should not unscrew if tightend enough. And the design is made so that the bolt/axis are "free", they both can rotate 360° because they are not connected to the lock pieces or locked into the case.
What you want is a lock nut. If the screw/bolt is tightened highly, it'll increase friction between the bolt and screwhead and the plastic part they touch, and make it more likely that they'll follow the part as the hinge is opened and unscrew. Normally you'd add washers and grease, but I'm not sure how applicable or necessary that is here.

I'm already try a design without a screw at all. ^^" So you save one part and can use a very simple bolt and you can't "screw it up". The mechanism is hold entirely through the case to make it even more simple bue more precise.

The lock part from the lid gets an full ring shape at the end to be fixed in the hole of the lid at that side, so it's perfectly in line with the seam between case and lid at the other side :

The bezel part of the new designed Pyra lid (not visible in the sketch) has an notched piece that will slide over the bolt and additionaly holds everything in place when the lid is fully assembled. Imagine the transparent piece is part of the bezel (the black screen cover inside the lid as seen here in ED's sketch 
post-1-0-73353800-1424023774_thumb.png
) :

Also not visible, the bolt is held in place to the right side within the case of course. The "spring-stop" simply collides with an stop inside the case part so it can only pulled out to the left when the lid is opened. ^^

Back