Case Sneak Peek

I'm ready to buy FIVE of these.  My F5 key is gonna get stomped.

ED, can you confirm also one very important aspect ? One of the reasons why the Pandora looked "cheap" in a way was that when you closed the lid, it was never perfectly closed (the left side is always slightly more opened than the right side) and this is probably due to the imbalance caused by the hinge. How do you plan to address this issue with the Pyra to ensure it looks better ?
 That was actualy by warping of the lid due bad injection molding if I remember correctly. If not done right, the plastic will warp and this caused the gap. One cause of this may also be the fact that there are many spots in the pandora case that are thicker than others, which is generaly bad when you want to cool down plastic equal and even to avoid warping. Look at the Pandora lid, thats alot of different thickness in there, very bad imho:

lid_thickness5jst1.jpg

If you want a perfect, non warped plastic product, make sure that the thickness of the material is always the same.

ED, can you confirm also one very important aspect ? One of the reasons why the Pandora looked "cheap" in a way was that when you closed the lid, it was never perfectly closed (the left side is always slightly more opened than the right side) and this is probably due to the imbalance caused by the hinge. How do you plan to address this issue with the Pyra to ensure it looks better ?

That was actualy by warping of the lid due bad injection molding if I remember correctly. If not done right, the plastic will warp and this caused the gap. One cause of this may also be the fact that there are many spots in the pandora case that are thicker than others, which is generaly bad when you want to cool down plastic equal and even to avoid warping. Look at the Pandora lid, thats alot of different thickness in there, very bad imho:

lid_thickness5jst1.jpg
If you want a perfect, non warped plastic product, make sure that the thickness of the material is always the same.
As some have voiced their concerns, I think it wise(if even possible at this stage) the entire outer "fence" of raised plastic surrounding the already sunken keyboard, speakers, and game controls should uniformly be moved up to the lid's overlap(which should be gradually raised outwardly to it's edges rather than one thin plastic border outline as was done with the Pandora's lid).

The other thing that comes to mind is a groove or knurling could be hollowed at the lid's top edge center(or perceptively at the base's bottom center edge too below where the V and B are on the Pandora) to make it a little easier for a thumb to open the clamshell from the closed position. My Macbook Pro has this at the front edge. 

Last edited by a moderator:
i like the double space bar of my pandora. Pls keep it also as double space in the pyra. :D

Is there any definate reason the Pandora keyboard layout is specifically wanting? If there are only minor disadvantages nothing can be perfect and as such why "fix" something that's been in use (and presumably working) for years...

Hi ED,

So it looks like you have decided to have the spacebar in the same location. I'm sorry to ask the question here but just wanted to clarify since you didn't answer the question that was asked about this in the proper forum.

A groove in the lid ala macbook would interfere with the sun-visor capabilites of the screen. Instead a thinkpad method could be applied. See the top one here http://blog.lenovo.com/uploads/general/ThinkPad_Stack_1.jpgAll that is needed is some knurling for easier opening and closing.

Why does anything that has only remotely to do with keyboards turn into a keymat thread...? Hasn't this been discussed and said like 100 times already?
 Because if you spend the time to research it, it presents itself as a very valid concern. It takes a while before everyone realizes.

Meanwhile, locking treads, autosaging, and hiding posts, doesnt really help. Nor does unconstructive participation in said threads.

Nobody has answered those questions. Nobody has made more reasonable arguments as to why doublewide space still seems to be ok.

Saber having made a doublespace layout, points to ED. The temporary official mockup solution points to the pandora, which is a legacy option.

I cant for the life of me understand why making that decision before having a layout ready is a reasonable line of events. Or is there already a layout hammered down?

I asked a few questions before beginning, seeing that 64 keys would be a possibility, and i ask some questions now.

Community effort on par with the logo treads and the wiki, has been put into making layouts, wasting most of it doesn't seem ideal.

Its EDs word in the end anyhow, just wanted to know what that was, rather than speculation and interpretation. Which is what leads to a lot of back and forth and no substance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Looks really neat. I am really looking forward to this. The red color is excellent for the model.

A groove in the lid ala macbook would interfere with the sun-visor capabilites of the screen. Instead a thinkpad method could be applied. See the top one here http://blog.lenovo.com/uploads/general/ThinkPad_Stack_1.jpgAll that is needed is some knurling for easier opening and closing.

Why does anything that has only remotely to do with keyboards turn into a keymat thread...? Hasn't this been discussed and said like 100 times already?

Because if you spend the time to research it, it presents itself as a very valid concern. It takes a while before everyone realizes.

Meanwhile, locking treads, autosaging, and hiding posts, doesnt really help. Nor does unconstructive participation in said threads.

Nobody has answered those questions. Nobody has made more reasonable arguments as to why doublewide space still seems to be ok.

Saber having made a doublespace layout, points to ED. The temporary official mockup solution points to the pandora, which is a legacy option.

I cant for the life of me understand why making that decision before having a layout ready is a reasonable line of events. Or is there already a layout hammered down?

I asked a few questions before beginning, seeing that 64 keys would be a possibility, and i ask some questions now.

Community effort on par with the logo treads and the wiki, has been put into making layouts, wasting most of it doesn't seem ideal.

Its EDs word in the end anyhow, just wanted to know what that was, rather than speculation and interpretation. Which is what leads to a lot of back and forth and no substance.
I wouldn't worry about any of that. This is ED in the end capably directing the operation with the generosity of funds provided by private investors. I've never deluded myself into thinking too serious about swaying the direction they've decided to head. All which can be offered ever is our support mixed with some agree to disagree feedback. Let's just enjoy the ride while it lasts.  

Honestly I tired of the eternal kemat layout debate months ago.

I just quit reading posts/threads about it.

A layout will be decided upon, most will like it, some won't...such is life.

And everbody knows the pyra will be red...ahem!

I already explained twice (or more?) when asked at various threads why I want a double-width space.

As far as I know, we even had two polls with a few months inbetween and both showed that most people want a double-width space key as well.

What's left to discuss here?

The layout is not fixed and it doesn't need to be fixed until the keymat design is finished.

The PCB design is fixed already for months, so there's no way to change the amount or layout of buttons.

The current keys are as cramped as possible - there's no way to add any more.

Back