Can't Hold It Much Longer

I just added a new video link to YouTube to the first post of this topic. This time you can see a whole level from the beginning.

2. Video on YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nice, can't wait to get the Pandora! It will be an amazing machine! All that power in a small device like this. I hope MESS will work on the Pandora so we can use all those old computers :)

Wow this is very impressive!
Will gloost need to be ported over to the Pandora to get this to work though? I haven't taken a look at the sources yet.

EDIT:
Sorry for bumping an aged thread. But this looked quite awesome. Wondering what happened to the game's development now. :(

Well done!
ZodTTD

zodttd said:
Sorry for bumping an aged thread. But this looked quite awesome. Wondering what happened to the game's development now. :(
Oh, you gravedigger, you. Notty notty! ;)
Yeah, it definitely looks cool. Exciting times, these are.

I just uploaded a new video to YouTube. The video shows the latest improvements of the graphic and the A.I.

intergalactic%202008-12-07%2004-02-30-75.jpg

Link to the YouTube Video (3)
The YouTube video in openPandoras native resolution (137 MB)
A much longer video containing the scene shown in the YouTube video (235 MB)

All new media of the games development you can find here

Also checkout some concept (very) related to the game :D

@zodttd
Will gloost need to be ported over to the Pandora to get this to work though?

Yes, there will be a new branch of gloost for ES 2.0 but we hope we can be source compatible with it. For a quick port and/or speedtests I can use another graphics output like SDL with Sprites or something like that. All non openGL components of the game/gloost should compile out of the box.

It's awesome and I can't wait to see it on my computer :D (hint, hint)

I hope it will have a multi-player function :)

I don't like those tiny particles flying around however. When a planet is conquered make the particles go as far as the smoke. On the spaceships they seems to go a bit fast. Try to slow them down, replace them with smoke or fade them a bit. They might end up less intrusive on the Pandora screen however. You could also try to remove the glow on the abandoned planets.

Zoxc said:
I hope it will have a multi-player function :)
Yes it will, but not with the first release. The plan is to support up to 5 players...

Zoxc said:
I don't like those tiny particles flying around however. When a planet is conquered make the particles go as far as the smoke. On the spaceships they seems to go a bit fast. Try to slow them down, replace them with smoke or fade them a bit. They might end up less intrusive on the Pandora screen however. You could also try to remove the glow on the abandoned planets.
Nice idea. I just removed all pixel particles.

Big Explosion Stress test

The big explosions are not final. At this point they consists of many cloud sprites, but I will use one big quad with a texture to save some gpu time and have better control.

otaco said:
Zoxc said:
Nice idea. I just removed all pixel particles.

Big Explosion Stress test

The big explosions are not final. At this point they consists of many cloud sprites, but I will use one big quad with a texture to save some gpu time and have better control.

Maybe make these particles an option ? I personally preferred with the particles, looks like fireworks effect.
Really nice game btw, looking forward to play it on the P :) In the meantime thanks for pointing to galcon, I play it to fill the gap with yours on the P ^^

Yeah, I kinda liked those particles too. I'd say options for particle level would work best.

Otaco love your work i cant wait to get this going on my panda.

Btw, you said you are making "your" version of the iphone galcon game so apart from features that you have come up with, i was wondering if you could implement some stuff from StarBaron. I think it would make the game more interesting :p

drD20 said:
Someone made a flash version of this game http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/470088.
Altough the look is not comparable it has a cool feature: different planet types.
That would be cool for the pandora version too ;)

Ryuu said:

Btw, you said you are making "your" version of the iphone galcon game so apart from features that you have come up with, i was wondering if you could implement some stuff from StarBaron. I think it would make the game more interesting

I thought long about shields for the planets, they could appear if some player holds a planet for a particular time. I also thought about some kind of turret guns for the planets, so you need a a big fleet to overcome a planet, or you have to attack from different sides at the same time.

But all these elements would change the gameplay. Any suggestions ???

Yeah, I kinda liked those particles too. I'd say options for particle level would work best.

I think I can do that. It woukd be nice to have a power-save render configuration to choose to save some battery time, since the game will eat up you gpu.

In the meantime thanks for pointing to galcon, I play it to fill the gap with yours on the P ^^

I hope nobody will be disappointed because the game is so "not like galcon". It's of course galcon in a way but its a lot slower (ships are slower and a match can last for up to 20 min).

Because the game itself is very simple a different A.I. can change the whole "experience". Its not so all about getting planets fast but to strike in the right moment and to know what your opponents do.
For example you can distract the A.I. by attacking a planet far from your actual target to force it to send backup. If the backup is in space you can now attack the unprotected planets where the backup comes from :) .

Also you can remove all ships from one planet so your enemies will see the low protected planet and attack. If you are lucky more than one enemy will see your trap and two or more enemies will fight about the planet, wasting lots of their ships (its not a bug, its a feature :lol: )

I try to enforce such strategies but A.I. is very difficult thing to do and I have no experience so far...

otaco said:
Ryuu said:

Btw, you said you are making "your" version of the iphone galcon game so apart from features that you have come up with, i was wondering if you could implement some stuff from StarBaron. I think it would make the game more interesting

I thought long about shields for the planets, they could appear if some player holds a planet for a particular time. I also thought about some kind of turret guns for the planets, so you need a a big fleet to overcome a planet, or you have to attack from different sides at the same time.

how about all planets have resources and the higher the population the faster you harvest these resources, offcourse bigger planets have higher resources. These resources could be used for "Powerups" which could include Turrets which shoot down some ships,a shield which uses resources fast when its on and can stop masses but not if attacked from all sides (overload :p),etc.. i can only come up with 2 atm.

One fairly simple thing to implement would be making larger planets produce ships faster. This would add an interesting element to the game mechanics.

Vorporeal said:
One fairly simple thing to implement would be making larger planets produce ships faster. This would add an interesting element to the game mechanics.
I guess that's already the case... Try to play galcon to get an idea of the mechanics of the game..

otaco said:

Maybe you could have this optional too, a classic mode, and a mode with shields and turrets and stuff.

Olexxy said:
Vorporeal said:
I guess that's already the case... Try to play galcon to get an idea of the mechanics of the game..

Whoops, didn't realize. Good work on the part of the developer of galcon then. :D

Back