Release Cannonball - The Enhanced C++ Outrun Engine

maybe that's the file I'm missing, I'll have to have another look! Thanks for the info :)

Adding the files from rev A (and refownloading the PND just to be sure!) seems to have solved my problem, that's a mighty fine game of Outrun!

Yes, the author of Cannonball has done a really good job. Outrun is really good on the Pandora. Can't wait the next version with menu settings :p   !

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried this on 60fps mode and it looks soo sexy compared to the standard emulator version, silky smooth roadside obstacles.

May be coincidence but it seems to make my driving a bit better.

May be coincidence but it seems to make my driving a bit better.
Indeed. I found that I managed to cut my journey home from work by a whole minute (give or take a few secs) after playing this.

D.

There is some inertia in the direction, so it's more sensitive.

Played at full 60 + sound @1198MHz, almost perfect, there's only two or three slowdowns on the left path with arches.

Very nice!

Runs very smooth, I only encountered 2 strange glitches:

selecting the music is a bit weird. Pressing left or right is not "sticky", it switches back as soon as I lift off the DPad. (There are more than 3 music tracks, right? This way I can only select 3 ...)

Second glitch is the Highscore table ... I can't change the letters, and confirming ... not sure which button is supposed to confirm, sine only wild, random button pushing managed to get me past this screen. Doesn't matter that much, since scores seem not to be saved anyway.

Is there a specific reason why one of the rom files has got to be from rev. A and not rev. B, or could this be a typo in the code (file name is the same except for the a/b)?

Very nice!

Runs very smooth, I only encountered 2 strange glitches:

selecting the music is a bit weird. Pressing left or right is not "sticky", it switches back as soon as I lift off the DPad. (There are more than 3 music tracks, right? This way I can only select 3 ...)
Thats how the original works in the arcade, it's the steering wheel re-centering.

There are only 3 audio tracks.

About the Music selection, it is like that in the arcade game, and there are only 3 musics.

On the Name entry Hiscore, I agree, it is a bit strange, it looks like it doesn't work at first, and then left/right can change the letter, accelerate to validate the letter.

Unfortunately, it doesn't save the hiscore for now... But it will latter.

Oh... to slow  :ph34r:

As the controls are smoothed, you have to press right/left longer to select the letters.

New version on the repo !

121230-201551.png

• menu screen !
  • Hiscores are saved now !
  • keys, sound, video and difficulty can now be setup via menu screen.
  • no files from Rom Rev.A required (but you can your old rom also).
  • remove no_sound version

Can I use the roms from mame4all??
I suppose you can. Launch the PND the first time, so it will create the right folder in appdata/cannonball.

Here, you'll find a "roms" folder with a txt inside describing the roms required.

Basically, if you unzip your OurtunB.zip romset, it should run...

All I did was run the PND as ptitSeb said above, this created the roms folder and a document with the rom names.

I then unzipped all my outrun roms from mame4all and copied the required files into the rom folder.

The game ran 1st time.

Nice update by he way :)

For me personally Lotus 2 and 3 are still the best games when it comes to this kind of racing-game, but I never enjoyed playing Outrun as much as with this port.

Need release on the repo.

In synch with the 0.1.4.

The roms needed for the Japanese Tracks are:

epr-10380.133
epr-10382.118
epr-10381.132
epr-10383.117
epr-10327.76
epr-10329.58
epr-10328.75
epr-10330.57

This version is also able to do Scanlines. But the scanlines are not really here, because rendering is done at *1, and then scales to *2 with the Notaz's SDL driver. You need *2 for scanlines, but that will damage performances...

• Optional Japanese Tracks. see the roms/roms.txt (after first launch) to see the needed roms files.

Works, but got an error when saving settings.

Deleted home/*, same error.

Back