[Cancelled] Aluminium cases are NOT being made!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 weeks.. nice :) Can hardly wait.

I hope the hinge redesign will be good, my lid is getting more "flappy" each day of usage. Somehow my CC Pandora's lid hinge was much stiffer than that of the GHz I have now.

I will post fotos
Yes, finally! Thanks for all your hard work, and of course all the rest of the team. I am eager, and pacing up and down...

Last edited by a moderator:
2 weeks is the new 2 months
And it sounds way better and harmless.... though...

twoweeks.png

2 weeks.. nice Can hardly wait.
 Hate to kill everyone's joy here, but I'll believe this when I see the pictures. there's been a lot of broken promises regarding to timings on these boards, and you should all be prudent before rejoicing :)
I have nothing invested in this, so I can afford to take joy in even potentially good news. ;)

- Neelix

I still have a working gp2x and 2 Wiz,s all perfect. What were these cases made of and why could the Pandora not have been made

of same material.

We would not be even looking for Aluminium?

I am playing Mazogs on gp2x as we speak  (zx81)

I still have a working gp2x and 2 Wiz,s all perfect. What were these cases made of and why could the Pandora not have been made

of same material.

We would not be even looking for Aluminium?

I am playing Mazogs on gp2x as we speak  (zx81)
The GP2X and the Wiz have a much less complicated design, there for has less that could potentially break. There are most likely weak spots either caused by variations in manufacturing of the cases or there are weaknesses in the design itself.. I doubt the plastic alone is the cause of the cracking issues.

Edit: Aluminum cases were brought forward by a community member not officially from OpenPandora... EvilDragon, just supports the idea of them and invested in them.

Good Points but I think the general build of the fore mentioned machines were of a much more durable material.

My Pandoras are all doing great, and I've put them through more abuse than they deserve. Holding up much better than my old DS did at any rate.

After two+ years of use, all 3 of my pandoras have cracks. That's pretty good, but they have been used/handled very gingerly like an egg.  I've been tossing my DSes around like crazy but no cracks there.  With the Alumium case, I would finally be able to show my friends that I can, for real this time, toss it in my pants' pocket and walk around like a man (can't walk like a man now with the plastic case) ;)

I agree, my pandora case is in way worst state than any of my DSes... and I handle it more carefully, but the cracks seems stable they don't seems to get worst... it looks more like a default due to internal stress and such than damage due to rough handling and it doesn't seems to get worst, beside losing some paint in the corners which also happens with my old grey DS...

I've been tossing my DSes around like crazy but no cracks there
That's where you see the difference between work done by real engineers and work done by amateurs (I don't mean to sound harsh to the initial pandora team, but years of knowledge in materials and manufacturing does make a difference in the end in quality). 

I thought the Pandora is just made of the cheepest plastic, and that's the main reason for these cracks.

I thought the Pandora is just made of the cheepest plastic, and that's the main reason for these cracks.
Well, the choice of the material is a part of the design. And I don't find the plastic too bad, there just seem to be several 'stress points' where most cracks happen (top lid corners, anyone?)

there's no "cheap plastic". I mean there are polymers which are cheaper to manufacture than others, but what's used for the pandora is fairly standard. The problem is that it's poorly designed on terms of structure and there are many weak points that should have been identified before making the injection mold.

Well, there are hundreds of different plastics available. Some softer, some more brittle.

And the cheapest ones are very brittle, as they're mixtures of different kinds of plastic (probably whatever is left), they break easily.

My Pandoras are all doing great, and I've put them through more abuse than they deserve. Holding up much better than my old DS did at any rate.
Me too. Which, I guess, points to there being rather big variations in the durability of the Pandoras.

Or, possibly, that I'm such a gentle flower that my idea of "tossing around and generally abusing" is too nice :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back