Can your kids identifi 'old' tech.

Being only 16, I can't speak for my kids, because they don't exist. So I'll talk about my brother instead.

I think he knows what floppy disks and casette tapes are. Anything else is foreign to him.
Yeah, I'm 16 too, so I'll speak for one of my brothers, too. He broke his mp3 player, so I lent him the portable cassette player and blank tape I have just in case something like this would happen. He knew how to use it, but because his mp3 player died, he lost all of his music. (I do not support piracy, but my parents used to.) I got him a new mp3 player for the holidays, and now he listens to the music that came on it by default. :blink:

</offtopic>

They aren't unreasonable in their knowledge of past technology.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matches?

You had things easy, we had to find 2 sticks and rub them together ;)

^ In case anybody doesn't get the above exchange, it's a reference to Monty Python's 'Four Yourkshiremen' sketch.

We had nothing so luxurious! We rubbed our fingers together until they were so hot they ignited our hair!

^ In case anybody doesn't get the above exchange, it's a reference to Monty Python's 'Four Yourkshiremen' sketch.
Or any other of the various "when I was your age" jokes (of the "we had it worse"-variant) :)

Well, nobody ever drove me to school when it was ninety degrees below

We had to walk butt naked through forty miles of snow

Worked in the coal mine twenty two hours a day for just half a cent

Had to sell my internal organs just to pay the rent

When I was your age!

My parents used to be the last people to upgrade certain things. They kept rotary phones way longer than anyone else I know, and at least 2 of my friends didn't know how to dial out until someone showed them what to do.

Well my mom plays LPs and Casettes for the kids of my sis ( 4 and 6 years old) so I'm sure they know their old tech :D (also they have 2 unkles with a lot of vinyl records, me being one of them) I guess they are raised pretty retro :D

Well my mom plays LPs and Casettes for the kids of my sis ( 4 and 6 years old) so I'm sure they know their old tech :D (also they have 2 unkles with a lot of vinyl records, me being one of them) I guess they are raised pretty retro :D
I even have some shellac records.. you know, the ones you played on gramophones before electricity was invented? ;)

I even have some shellac records.. you know, the ones you played on gramophones before electricity was invented? ;)

;) I dont have any shellac records, great band though :p

I know that the noise scene releases quite a bit of shellac.

I know that the noise scene releases quite a bit of shellac.
I diddn't know anyone still does it today - the ones I have are truly antique (not that I would listen to them or anything.. they're just collecting dust in the basement)

I diddn't know anyone still does it today - the ones I have are truly antique (not that I would listen to them or anything.. they're just collecting dust in the basement)

I still buy vinyl...in fact its probably the only form of music I do actually pay for (although the only downloading I do now is radio shows)...but then I am into DJ'ing. I know you can scratch CD's, mp3's (thru Serato) etc, but to me it has to be vinyl.

Then I am old!

Hell, I still buy tapes on occasion. :p I nabbed a little personal stereo for about £1 at a car boot sale* a little while back, and use this with a patch-cable to digitise tapes (tapes can generally be had from 5p to 20p each, or large boxes can often be found for a couple of pounds). The player was made looooooooooong before EU regulations on volume output on devices like this, so it really can deafen you, and its "off" volume can actually be heard VERY loudly if you use high-quality headphones. The sound quality is actually really rather good, so it's a ridiculously cheap way to build up a collection of music. (It's certainly much better value than those £30 USB-powered tape players that otherwise do *exactly* the same thing.)

*For non-UK folks who might not know this term, and who I know sometimes use the term "car boot" for what we would call a wheel-clamp: A car boot sale is equivalent to a yard sale or a garage sale, but held on a public ground such as a field. It's so named because people tend to sell their stuff from the boot (to you, the "trunk") of their car, or from a table set up next to it.

*For non-UK folks who might not know this term, and who I know sometimes use the term "car boot" for what we would call a wheel-clamp: A car boot sale is equivalent to a yard sale or a garage sale, but held on a public ground such as a field. It's so named because people tend to sell their stuff from the boot (to you, the "trunk") of their car, or from a table set up next to it.
Terminology is the same here in Australia, but I guess that's not particularly suprising...

I have no children, but the little six year old cousin, she always found mashing an ipod. On a car trip, I was listening to my hard drive: simply an mp3 player that supported a laptop sized hard drive that could address 128 GB. She saw my player in my lap, pointed and said "Why is that thing bigger then mine?" First I was like: :blink: -> Then I realized that she was talking about my mp3 player ( :huh: ). I then told her, In a way that a six year could understand: It was made bigger to hold more songs. She accepted that.

Back