Your Favourite Cartoons..?

Garrett

Advanced Member
I'm entertaining my young Niece & Nephew for a couple of weeks soon and have been stockpiling some of the old Warner Bros/Hanna Barbera classics in preparation.

I was never a great aficionado of cartoons back in the day (loved Battle Of The Planets though) & apart from the aforementioned don't really know the good stuff.. can you guys educate me..?

Thanks.

I recommend any of the 1980's - 1990's Disney cartoons: Darkwing Duck, Duck Tales, Gummi Bears, Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers, Tale Spin. And to a lesser extent Aladdin, Goof Troop, and Gargoyles.

Although I'm sure some will disagree, I put those in best to worst order. :D

The Disney afternoon cartoons were generally good stories wrapped in wholesome entertainment. They weren't watered down much either. They touched on important ideals and moral issues. I still think back on them with fondness.

Depending on their age you might also consider some of the other Saturday morning shows. Muppet Babies is a good example of teaching children the power of imagination, and it had some good stories too. Similarly Rugrats is a decent cartoon that educates and entertains.

Non-Educational adventure cartoons like Pirates Of Darkwater, The Seven Cities of Gold, and Sparticus and the Sun Beneath the Sea were serials that had story arcs that lasted the course of the shows might keep them entertained for days.

For some straight up non-sense try Freakazoid! or Animaniacs. 

Now as far as my favorite cartoons from the Warner Brothers (war) era... It's all gone... All the good stuff is gone... Edited by the evil Warner Brothers Empire to take out any semblance of racial slur or gun violence. Most of the classic episodes have been cut up into completely different cartoons with no real story, just Bugs reminiscing about the old days. I'm sure Road Runner is largely untouched, but Yosimite Sam is a pale shadow of himself and you won't find Speedy Gonzales anywhere - his racial stereotype has been erased from history.

There's so much to choose from, but these are the ones that I remember best.

Looney Tunes + Merry Melodies, Captain Planet, Rockos Modern Life, Tintin, Angry Beavers, My Pet Monster, Madeline, Pingu, Spongebob, Darkwing Duck, Little Lulu, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Rugrats and Buzzy the Crow to name a few. If you want something modern I would suggest A Town Called Panic.

If you're looking for movies.. Disney ones as suggested before (especially the sword in the stone, Robin Hood and Jungle Book), The Land Before Time (<3), There's also a Peter Pan variant that I grew up with and its made in Australia by Burbank Films. IMHO better than the disney version.

Hope this helps :)

Gummi Bears

Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers

Gargoyles

Darkwing Duck

Batman Beyond

and maybe...

Men in Black

Roswell Conspiracies

Extreme Ghostbusters

Aladin

Although I'm sure some will disagree, I put those in best to worst order. :D
Out of that list you consider Gargoyles to be the worst? I'm going to need an explanation for that. :D Yeah, I don't have much to add to these suggestions, Disney through the 80s to the mid 90s was excellent. For some further classics, I think I'd suggest Thundercats as well. ReBoot was also one of my favourites, but definitely geared for an older audience and the CGI may not have held up nearly as well in my head as in real life.

Whatever you do, however, avoid the original He-Man, Transformers, and Voltron. In a recent bout of nostalgia I started watching them (as well as Thundercats) and could not understand for the life of me what I had once found so great about them (except Thundercats which remains awesome). Your niece and nephew may enjoy them but if they were ever part of your own childhood you do not want to attempt to relive them.

Out of that list you consider Gargoyles to be the worst? I'm going to need an explanation for that. :D
It just didn't grab me like other kids of my day. I felt the stories were contrived and not enough emphasis was put on pushing stories along and too much attention was put on the police officer. Every episode seemed to hinge on the fact that the sun was about to come up and they were about to be exposed to the rest of humanity. I'm sure there were some stand out episodes, or series of episodes, but I couldn't stay interested long enough to find them. 

I get it though, it had all the elements of a good cartoon action drama thingy, but it just didn't get to me.

It's okay though because there are shows out there that I think are brilliant that others my age though were garbage. Exo-Squad is a good example. It's slow to start, but one the main story arc becomes apparent it deals with serious cultural issues and has unusually deep character development for a morning serial. To my knowledge it's one (maybe the only) series where one of the main characters dies onscreen. To each their own, I say.

If your looking for something feature length then you could do a lot worse than checking out the studio Ghibli stuff.

Grave of the fireflies & Princess Mononoke are not really suitable for younger viewers but anything else by Hayao Miyazaki is more or less a guaranteed classic.

I've been watching these films with my Daughter since she was 2, she's now 8 and she and I still can't get enough. Try, Whispers of the heart for a touching story about first love, Kiki's delivery service for a tale about a young girl finding her place in the world (as a witch), Spirited away for an amazing fantasy adventure. In fact try any of them for something a little more stimulating / magical than your usual Disney fare.

I loved Droopy, Yogi Bear, the Flintstones, the Jetsons, Wally Gator, … mostly really old Hanna-Barbera & Tex Avery cartoons.

[EDIT] Almost no realistic violence :p

The Animaniacs were really entertaining, Freakzoid! too :D

Last edited by a moderator:
If your looking for something feature length then you could do a lot worse than checking out the studio Ghibli stuff.

Grave of the fireflies & Princess Mononoke are not really suitable for younger viewers but anything else by Hayao Miyazaki is more or less a guaranteed classic.

I've been watching these films with my Daughter since she was 2, she's now 8 and she and I still can't get enough. Try, Whispers of the heart for a touching story about first love, Kiki's delivery service for a tale about a young girl finding her place in the world (as a witch), Spirited away for an amazing fantasy adventure. In fact try any of them for something a little more stimulating / magical than your usual Disney fare.
I've already got those & I'm sure my Niece will be every bit as engrossed as I was.. thanks for the suggestion though

I recently watched Ulysses 31 as an adult for the first time, and it still stands up as well as I remember it from my youth. I don't recall what age I was when I first saw it, and it does contain some dark themes being based on greek myth, though I suspect most kids young enough not to be able to deal with that are likely to be watching it only for the space t'pew-t'pew anyway.

Only problem is it seems to be an absolute swine to get hold of the complete set on DVD. Thankfully, some kind soul has uploaded the complete 26 episodes to youtube, if that's any use to you.

This is maybe too far off, but I like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron:_Uprising . It may be too action oriented, and the body proportions look just awfull, but the plot is usually halfclever (in contrast to what Disney usually churnchs out) and people don't bite the dust by the hundreds (as they usually do in more action oriented cartoons).

I'm an adult, but love cartoons. My favs are as below.

Roco's modern life

Animaniacs

Daria (kids might not like this one)

Ren and Stimpy  (in moderation)

Rupert (Not the new 3d crap though)

Capton planet

Gogs

The Simpsons (of course)

Felix The Cat

I'm sure there's more but i couldn't think of them at the moment. I also like some Anime, but i've excluded that from the list.

The Tick

Some great one liners and great comedy.. It's really a brilliant actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back