Can your kids identifi 'old' tech.

second exodous

Advanced Member
A few years ago I was at a DI store(kinda like Salvation Army, where people donate old stuff to it and the sell it for charity) with my nephew and he picked up a cassette tape and had no idea what it was. I was shocked at first then I realized something I had predicted for years had happened, it had essentially died, I no longer see them sold in stores anymore. I must have slept in that day. He did know what floppy disks were though(crappy outdated school system) but not knowing what a cassette tape was surprised me.

I found

https://www.youtube.com/embed/gdSHeKfZG7c?feature=oembed and thought it was really cute. My favorite part is when they think a 8-track player is a bomb and then proceed to push the 'plunger'. I don't even know what that was for, what the heck was the plunger for? Or the DJ kid, don't know which.

So have you had any funny moments when going through old stuff with your kids?

I dont know, my niche is now exaxtly 2 Months old (whats a random!!.. :lol: )

So i ditnt think, she can identifi any tech yet, besides of some soft toy animals..

Last edited by a moderator:
Being only 16, I can't speak for my kids, because they don't exist. So I'll talk about my brother instead.

I think he knows what floppy disks and casette tapes are. Anything else is foreign to him.

Being only 16, I can't speak for my kids, because they don't exist. So I'll talk about my brother instead.

I think he knows what floppy disks and casette tapes are. Anything else is foreign to him.
I'm in a similar situation, being born in 1990. I am comfortable with using computers that date back to the BBC Micro B days (~1984), and my knowledge of computer hardware dates back only a little further. In short, ask me to use a cassette or a 5 1/4 inch floppy and I'm fine with that. Hand me an 8 inch, and I have nooooooo idea.

By my recoking, I wouldn't expect my 12 year old sister to use anything older than a CD or a 3 1/2 (Not!)floppy disk

I did LOL, however, when I saw one forum (Stack overflow? I can't remember) that had some Win7 'experienced computer users' that couldn't figure out what their A: and B: drive letters were reserved for.

I'll be sitting down playing some retro games on my Wiz and my 5 year old son will always come and check it out. Here's how it plays out every time!

"What are you playing daddy?"

"A game I played when I was a little boy, wanna see?"

"That's what you played when you were little?"

"Yes, do you want to give it a try?"

"No....... Can you turn my Wii on so I can play LEGO Batman?"

"Sure..... (sigh)"

He's realizing that there were video games prior to his birth, he's definitely not impressed! :rolleyes:

I also just recently moved and decided to chuck all my old VHS tapes. He thought I was throwing away books.

yea but then again, you realize that there are video games after your teen years, and if youre playing your wiz so much, you must not be impressed with them either :|

Huh, I've never seen a kid turn down Super Mario Brothers 1, kids love that. The only games I've seen young kids turn down (besides overly complicated games) are early games, Atari 2600 or earlier. There are a few that kids will play but like me some times I have no idea what the freak is going on.

yea but then again, you realize that there are video games after your teen years, and if youre playing your wiz so much, you must not be impressed with them either :|
Dude I'm 36, I've grown up with most of the consoles since the 2600 including the PS3 and 360. I even seem to have a vague memory of one of those early PONG consoles.... not 100% sure about that though. I love almost all of 'em, I'm an equal opportunity gamer.

Huh, I've never seen a kid turn down Super Mario Brothers 1, kids love that. The only games I've seen young kids turn down (besides overly complicated games) are early games, Atari 2600 or earlier. There are a few that kids will play but like me some times I have no idea what the freak is going on.
Sorry, when I say retro I mean pre 16 bit. Most would probably disagree but I consider 8 bit and earlier as "retro". With the 16 era you start seeing more modern graphics. Also, I no longer own any consoles that came before the SNES so my handhelds fill that gap.

Sorry, when I say retro I mean pre 16 bit. Most would probably disagree but I consider 8 bit and earlier as "retro". With the 16 era you start seeing more modern graphics. Also, I no longer own any consoles that came before the SNES so my handhelds fill that gap.
I wish people would come up with a standard definition of when 'retro' ends (this is not a rant at you, Orion4874). I was shocked when the N64/PSX/GBA was moved to the 'retro' section of IGN, as I think perhaps the best demarcation would be at the leap to 3d.

I wish people would come up with a standard definition of when 'retro' ends (this is not a rant at you, Orion4874). I was shocked when the N64/PSX/GBA was moved to the 'retro' section of IGN, as I think perhaps the best demarcation would be at the leap to 3d.
If you go to retrojunk.com they're always fighting about what is considered 'retro'. I don't get it either. People should stop saying retro and say 70s, 80s, 90s, ect.

I agree that the leap to 3D was the turning point. But all systems are going to be retro sooner or later, I think N64, PSX etc. need to have their own distinctive category of retro now.

I agree that the leap to 3D was the turning point. But all systems are going to be retro sooner or later, I think N64, PSX etc. need to have their own distinctive category of retro now.
I agree. Look at car collectors, for example. At a certain date, a car becomes 'veteran', and after another date, 'vintage'. Likewise, people *could* refer to up to 7th Gen as 'retro' and a new name for early 3D games.

The problem with the car example is that the categories move forward by one year, each year - so it's effectively if you car is >= x years old, then it's vintage. This is what the wesites mentioned above seem to be doing, but it causes confusion (especially when you consider that e.g. Wii and PS3 games will one day be in the same category as Super Mario Bros. and Sonic & Knuckles 3)

Sorry, but I hate vague terminology.

My 3-year old knows what cassette tapes are .. they're things that have the funny tape that you string all over the living room, for fun, because it instantly makes Mummy go 'ooh noooo my one and only high school mix tape, you little dirt ^!%#$' while she runs around trying to pick it all back up again .. heh heh!

My 3-year old knows what cassette tapes are .. they're things that have the funny tape that you string all over the living room, for fun, because it instantly makes Mummy go 'ooh noooo my one and only high school mix tape, you little dirt ^!%#$' while she runs around trying to pick it all back up again .. heh heh!
Lol, that will teach her to digitize her life.

My sister was all into mix tapes but when I got to the age of listening to music, really listening and picking my own music around 16 I saved and bought a CD burner, I don't even want to remember what I paid for that 2x burner, so I made mix CDs and never made a mix tape. The only tapes I have are ones that me and my siblings made our own 'radio station', like going around recording mock interviews and making up our own music and commercials. I have to digitize those, they're priceless. I guess I'm as bad as your wife about it. :p

Retro to me is anything up to the saturn and PS1. It pains me to think that there are a generation of people whose spectrum 48k is an N64, or worse, a PS2.

Retro to me is anything up to the saturn and PS1. It pains me to think that there are a generation of people whose spectrum 48k is an N64, or worse, a PS2.
Maybe retro is relative to how old you are. I don't think there is any set time at all, but to someone young might think every thing older than 5 years is retro but when you have years under your belt you might think it has to be at least 20 years old.

Like I said, at retrojunk.com there are some articles where people debate on this endlessly. I personally don't think 'retro' means anything besides old for whoever is using the word.

I think that a console/computer becomes officially retro when you can't buy it off the shelf any more, and I can fully see how another's definition of retro is relative to their age. It still hurts my delicate sensibilities though!

I remember recently that someone posted a new topic to Reddit 'DAE remember this game?!' and it was jet set radio for the dreamcast...

Back