Xgp Kids Specifications

OMars

Website
Visit site
What do you think the xgp kids specs should be? Changing the specs can raise the price of the kids, just so you know... I know a lot more programmers would develop for it if they changed the specs, so I have contacted them and asked if our opinion would affect their choices on the xgp kids. I want to know what the specs should be from a dev's perspective, as they would attract people to this system. Have fun, and keep it on topic. :)

P.S. Do you think they should keep the name or change it to something else? Tell me you suggestions for names.

They should change nothing that bumps the price up to over $100. Otherwise if they add a dpad and a 320x240 screen at such a price, you might as well get the XGP Mini. So I would ask them if it would be cheaper to use a dpad/digital joystick instead of the analog.

Edit: They should change the name to Extreme Ultra Mega Hardcore Death Game Player Kids :p

I think it would be perfectly fine if they make it $100. $50 is a difference you know. ;) I think they should call it something other than xgp, maybe gpc(gamepark casual). I dunno just a thought.

Pricing has a large psychological effect on consumers. Making the price over $100 just sounds very intimidating. Now $75 sounds like such a bargain, even though it's only $25 less. Anyway, I don't think these casual gamers that GP is trying to target would pay that much for a handheld.

JaqMs posted on Sep 2 2006 at 10:15 PM said:
Pricing has a large psychological effect on consumers. Making the price over $100 just sounds very intimidating. Now $75 sounds like such a bargain, even though it's only $25 less. Anyway, I don't think these casual gamers that GP is trying to target would pay that much for a handheld.
They pay that much for a DS or PSP. I think the problem is that casual gamers will never hear of or, if they do hear about it, won't "get it."

I love the specs--with the extreme exception of the screen. It should be 320x240. I don't think analog control's necessary, but I don't think it's the devil like some people here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure whatever "casual gamers" are out there will get it as long as GP has some games available for it. And if they do "get it", there will be a better chance of them buying it because of its price.

The most important thing is the screen, for god's sake GP don't be stupid, make it backward compatible with the GP32!

I guess they should release it with a fully functional MP3 player, the best use for a portable device is a rich MP3 player, that's software side, from the hardware point view, a remote control headphones, I wont like it if they bundled the head phones (each of us has his favourite ones) but they should at least bundle the wire that ends with the remote control. More additions that wont cost much are voice recorder and radio FM, come on, many cheap thumb disks have them and they work well.

JaqMs posted on Sep 3 2006 at 12:57 AM said:
I'm sure whatever "casual gamers" are out there will get it as long as GP has some games available for it. And if they do "get it", there will be a better chance of them buying it because of its price.

If I were a 'casual' gamer I'd never have heard of, much less buy, a weird console from a company in Korea I never heard of.

To be a useful machine the XGP Kids should have:
- At least a rudimentary 2D Blitter
- 16+ MB of RAM
- a 320x240 color LCD
- A simple, common D-Pad.

After a second thought, guess the thing that will make a major point to attract casual gamers is designing XGP Kids with GBA in mind, it should be able to emulate GBA, if it did, I grant it's going to be a hit, it will be cheaper than a GBA + SD to Cart that has MP3 player and NES emulation.

You're unlikely to get away with decent GBA Emulation speeds with just one ARM940T at 140 MHz, a mere 4K/4K cache, no apparent 2D accelerator or FPU... also it has extremely little RAM.

Epicenter posted on Sep 3 2006 at 12:10 PM said:
You're unlikely to get away with decent GBA Emulation speeds with just one ARM940T at 140 MHz, a mere 4K/4K cache, no apparent 2D accelerator or FPU... also it has extremely little RAM.

I am not saying whether is it possible with the current specifications or not (although it seems impossible), but am just suggesting a change that might benifit GamePark since they are still developing/haven't yet released their XGPs.

My suggestion would be to remove one or two products from their line up. I don't see the point. They have a VERY small consumer base, especially when compared to the PSP or DS, and yet they want to target it with the XGP, XGP mini, and XGP kids? I don't see the point at all. Do they want to maybe sell 5k units of each and thats it? Hell, the people that would normally buy one of the varoius XGP's already have GP2X's and GP32's.

Epicenter posted on Sep 3 2006 at 02:59 AM said:
JaqMs posted on Sep 3 2006 at 12:57 AM said:

If I were a 'casual' gamer I'd never have heard of, much less buy, a weird console from a company in Korea I never heard of.

To be a useful machine the XGP Kids should have:
- At least a rudimentary 2D Blitter
- 16+ MB of RAM
- a 320x240 color LCD
- A simple, common D-Pad.
Epicenter, adding those specs would just make an XGP Mini Mini. I'd guess the 320x240 would be the most useful (and dpad if it is cheaper). But think of it, the GP32 was selling at $180 even at the end of it's life. This thing has almost the same specs, but is less than half the price. And another thing, like someone else said on the forum: limitations breed creativity. That is why GP32 emulators like for SNES were able to be created even though GP32 is 4 times less powerful than the GP2X.

JaqMs posted on Sep 3 2006 at 12:08 PM said:
GP32 is 4 times less powerful than the GP2X.
It is?

- Alex

I really think that they should just create a gp32 with x & y buttons and slightly better specs. They should forget all this nonsense. ;)

JaqMs posted on Sep 3 2006 at 12:08 PM said:
GP32 is 4 times less powerful than the GP2X.
I doubt this. Personally, i'd rate the GP2X at about twice as powerful as the GP32 and perhaps not even that much.
That's my own opinion at the way it is currently being utilized. If developers could harness the extra CPU, maybe more.

OMars posted on Sep 4 2006 at 11:41 AM said:
I really think that they should just create a gp32 with x & y buttons and slightly better specs. They should forget all this nonsense. ;)
Totally agree - perhaps make it as small as the GPKiDS or something to make it "different" enough from the GP2X. But even then, it's pretty similar to the GP2X. So, who is going to buy it?

Perhaps the best bet is simply a D-Pad, SD-card, four button version of the GP32 BLU with 16MB of RAM. Surely that would be cheap to produce?
Of course it should be software compatible with the current GP32.

That would be a worthy upgrade and something I'd buy - especially if it was under US$100.

slaanesh posted on Sep 3 2006 at 09:43 PM said:
Totally agree - perhaps make it as small as the GPKiDS or something to make it "different" enough from the GP2X. But even then, it's pretty similar to the GP2X. So, who is going to buy it?

Perhaps the best bet is simply a D-Pad, SD-card, four button version of the GP32 BLU with 16MB of RAM. Surely that would be cheap to produce?
Of course it should be software compatible with the current GP32.

That would be a worthy upgrade and something I'd buy - especially if it was under US$100.
Too bad it's probably too late for them to change their plans. :(

I got this reply from them today:
Dear **********,

Thank you for contacting GAMEPARK Inc.

I see that you have already started the thread regarding the spec of our device. It really doesn't matter whether you start a poll or not. We closely moniter gp32x.de and consider the changes we could make based on the opinions in the forums. However, if you would start a poll, than it would be easier for us to notify the needs of our customers.

I would like to let you know that your advices, concerns and interests about our product means alot to us and hope to satisfy your needs as much as we can.

Many thanks

Nathan
Somebody start a poll as I am not used to this kind of poll creation method... There is a chance they could change it! :D

Back