Call for help: Slackware on an ARM Chromebook?

Linux-SWAT

Forum Addict!
It's the call from an eminent guy from the Slackware community.

He helped _a lot_ for the 64bit version.

He's not the Slackware ARM (the one i use for SL4P) maintainer, but thanks to him, he made the openJDK ARM package possible.

Having a second version of Slackware for ARM will be great for numerous reasons, he explains that.

Long story short, SL4P will run with hard float, better optimizations, and it will be easier to even recompile the whole distro with the best optimizations.

Another thing, you can also try to convince him to buy a Pandora with the extra money.

http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/call-for-help-slackware-on-an-arm-chromebook/

he got 3x the needed money in 24h! Samsung's Chromebook is really nice for a portable purpose. If he succeeds, I'll get one

Nice, i didn't check.

It's up to you to spam him, guys, he already knows me and my port (and my spam).

its been said countless times but I'd like to have Slackware as P2s main OS.. Hope there will be a vote or something... and that guy might be a good help.

Its probably makes sense to save some donation money for software development.

by the way Kali Linux (brand new release) is also available for Samsungs Chromebook... 16GB ssd hmh.. a little too narrow for a dual boot though.

http://www.kali.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
If a new device will be produced, Ubuntu (spyware-removed) and Android, at least, should be available from the start if any mass marketing is planned.

Of course more choice will be better.

I don't like the idea of rolling releases OS because self-compiled software will break constantly, and it's mostly what we have on OP.

I'm lazy about porting Kali because almost all security tools can be installed under Slack.

because of its cool touch UI (yesss, I have high hopes for it. But somehow I got the feeling they won't make it open source and restrain other distributions from using it)? or are you referring to Ubuntu One (cloud, music/software store)?

I'm wondering why Ubuntu? well is easy to use and it got a graphical installer but a slick xfce theme and an updater like the one we've got now, together with pnd manager would do just that.. Or do you think Ubuntu One and and the new touch based UI for smartphones would be the deciding factor?

ehh basically my question was why do you think Ubuntu would be a good choice (for the masses)?

well anyway I'll still be able to use whichever Linux I wand, so I doesn't matter that much

I don't like Ubuntu, it's a distro for noobs. Doing advanced things on it is horrible.

But it's the distro du jour, so for a commercial point of view, it's a must-have.

Back