Caanoo - The New Gph Console?

Looks very nice. Glad they did go back to LCD, because the OLED is apparently sensitive to the burn-in of images on the screen.

Also, the joystick seems to be back. Hope it's more like the Neo Geo Pocket than the old F-100 though. Bigger display is nice, but I'd like to see a higher resolution. More memory is also nice, but I hope it isn't all used for an unoptimized 2GB operating system. WiFi is a big plus, but without a somewhat higher resolution display it can't be used very efficiently for web browsing. Also hope they completely ditch this glossy finish. Always looks very nice in the showroom, but after using it for a few minutes it looks like a sweating fatty.

The G sensor could be a nice gimmick for some games. But if I would have to pay for the design of this thing then I would've scrapped the sensor.

Basically this is something like the follow-up from the F-100 to the F-200.

EvilDragon said:
Since it's almost 100% compatible to the WIZ, it's more an upgrade than a new console.
It looks and feels nice.

It doesn't have WiFi built-in - it uses an adaptor.
Not sure if the WIZ WiFi-Adaptor is cancelled - but I don't think so, as the EXT Port is the same, so it can be used on both units :)
So it's basically like the F300 but with a different case and a G-sensor?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, this KaanGoo :p (Caanoo) is a Wiz upgrade, but... I suppose it will be need a port/recompilation for almost every app/game/emu because to the different display and controls (not to mention the changes made for to the tearing problem).

And has it touchscreen or not ?

I don't see why the different screen would force everything to be recompiled. It is abstracted in hardware: the display controller in the Pollux is separate from what they call the 'Multi Layer Controller' which generates the final image to be shown on the screen. Controls may be more of an issue for things which read the GPIO stuff directly rather than going through the kernel interface.

craigix said:
So they are rushing a new device out probably using another SOC. They of course won't bother to research it in advance, it's probably just MES's latest offering.
Yep :)

Mr 2X said:
Yes, this KaanGoo :p (Caanoo) is a Wiz upgrade, but... I suppose it will be need a port/recompilation for almost every app/game/emu because to the different display and controls (not to mention the changes made for to the tearing problem).

And has it touchscreen or not ?

oh well i had the same thoughts. it's odd because it took some time to get tearing-free apps and there went quite a lot of effort into that by several people here on the forum. at least i need to add auto-detection for wiz and it's successor to differently initialize the 3d engine. GPH, do i get a free caanoo to test? :p

i hope it has touchscreen, if not, several games will not be compatible anymore (warehouse panic comes to my mind...) - and that with these little original titles released for the wiz.

it's an odd step, really. i don't understand it. but probably thats the way it goes for GPH? release a new console, make devs and some users buy, drop support and then get a new almost compatible one out so that it starts from the beginning?

what's the third button for? above the select button. Why is the menu button on the other side of the console? Are there two off switches (on the left and on the right)? And why does the render have different "super" button(first looks like the select or menu button, second looks rounded)

Ari64 said:
craigix said:
So they are rushing a new device out probably using another SOC. They of course won't bother to research it in advance, it's probably just MES's latest offering.

No. Not even close. They obviously use the same SoC (Pollux). And MES is sold long time ago...

Looks pretty nice! What's wrong with it then? Screen tearing, or a poor joystick and controls, or both?

I'm very excited to see that GPH has already started work on another console and have completely abandoned the Wiz. I'm excited to see all the hardware faults in this one.

craigix said:
An analogue stick. Seriously? They never cease to amaze me.
When did you start hating GPH and stop helping them?

quote said:
craigix said:
An analogue stick. Seriously? They never cease to amaze me.
When did you start hating GPH and stop helping them?
Well, I can't speak for Craig, but this looks like a complete waste of time. Really, what is the point? A single anolog stick, with Wiz's processing power?

This is going to debut at E3 along side the DS3 & PSP2? Yeah, good luck there!

I'm all for those who like the wiz, and support GPH handhelds, but these guys really have no clue. I saw this thread and got excited. I was hopig for some competition for the Pandora, and the handheld market in general, but I don't think I could have been more disappointed. These guys really need to throw in the towel.

They should have named this device the "Oohnoo" :lol:

Chris

No D-Pad equals complete waste of time for emulatuion.

It looks like a reskin of the GP2X F100 complete with the same dodgy ex-satnav/pda analogue thumbstick.

I forsee this caanoo sinking very quickly

x68000 said:

It looks like a reskin of the GP2X F100 complete with the same dodgy ex-satnav/pda analogue thumbstick.

The F100's joystick was digital, this one's analogue.
Also (I never owned one), I heard that worked quite well on the zodiak, no?
But yeah, DPad would be better.

quote said:
I had a Zodiac. It blowed goats.

A F100 reskin with an analogue stick is much worse.

It seems that GPH are turning into generating the same market as the chinese MP4 player rip-offs. The ones I get a steady stream of at work (Here's another chinese gadget - have a play with it and see what you think). I always reply with the same "It works, but thats about it. Looks crap, software is crap. Touchscreen is horrible!".

quote said:
x68000 said:

The F100's joystick was digital, this one's analogue.
But yeah, DPad would be better.
It may as well of been an analogue stick as it was clearly better suited to that task.

I'm not buying anymore GPH garbage. Been stung 3 times now hoping they make something GP32-like, but this is obviously never going to happen.

sbock said:
Ari64 said:
craigix said:

No. Not even close. They obviously use the same SoC (Pollux). And MES is sold long time ago...
Craig was pretty close. They used MES's latest offering... the same one. :)

What happened to MES anyway?

Mithrildor said:
Caanoo? The pics says wiz.

Theyre just hiding the real name: gp2x Wiz F200

The prototypes have a Wiz sign. The later units will have the Caanoo tag.

Back