N35 - The Next Console From Gph?

Can we go please back to topic? This thread is about informations about the N35 and not complaining about GPH.

@Trooper

Thanks for the info about the GPI. Never heard of it before...

Jan-Nik said:
There are so many other thinks where they didn't listen. It's like making a console which has half a dozen mistakes including two especially stupid. Then you fix those two because everyone is complaining like hell. IMHO that's not good communication. It's just saving their own jobs since who would have bought the Wiz without proper buttons and a 2.5mm headphone jack?

Don't get me wrong, I like Tony Han, he's doing a great job. But I still think people have their point whenever they call GPH shit.

Looking at your join date, I'll be guessing you're new to GPH and their shenanigans. So in a way you're right - to an outsider, or someone who hasn't dealt with them earlier on, GPH can be seen as a bit shit.
But I'm not comparing them to Microsoft or Sony, I'm comparing them to how they were in the past. If you knew how much they got wrong in the gp2x era, you'd appreciate just how great they are now.

Edit: Yeah sorry sbock, I'll keep it to the N35 now :).

Last edited by a moderator:
trooper said:
klikklak said:
Oh I didn't mean to get in to that. It's just that they're not well known for their software prowess. I do think they did a good job with the wiz release and communication. But phonestacks as far as I know (I don't) are complex and highly protected. But maybe that's just the high end, if they're aiming at the low end, maybe they can leverage their existing code for it. But seriously, would you like a wiz with added cellular radio? Imagine texting with it. Web access? I think going the android route and upping the spec generally would create a much more competitive product.

Long before the split (GamePark <--> GPH), Way back in 2002. Gamepark had a prototype device based on the GP32, But had an integrated phone, PIM, Touchscreen, Web browser etc, And was linux based.

gpi5.jpg

More info about the GPI here.

Trooper
I actually really like the design of that. I wish it was released.

Just one quick info: I asked mittens (Member of the Korean and this community) about the N35 and he said he doubt it is a phone.
EvilDragon just wrote a post at the German boards and confirmed this.

Thanks to mittens and ED for this info! :)

Thanks for the update! Keep us posted :).
I'm glad it's not a phone. These rumble controls sound interesting :/.

So anyone know more about these chipsets? The ARM numbers don't mean anything to me, so could someone clarify first of all which one of these is the faster one? :)

I'll do a bit of pasting here, since the other thread is necromancer territory. The SOC's are the ones mentioned under PMP, which I'm guessing is the logical platform for Wiz^2.

CL9000 (the latest if I read correctly)
ARM926E RISC Core
Fully hardwired H.264 Decoder(30fps@CIF)
Fully hardwired MPEG4 Codec(30fps@D1)
Fully hardwired JPEG Codec(5MP)
VT up to 15fps@QCIF
Audio codec : MP3, E-AAC+, WMA, RA, OGG, BSAC, S/W MIDI(64 poly)
Voice codec : G.723.1, AMR, EVRC, QCELP
LCD Signal Bypass Mode
CCIR601, YCbCr 4:2:2 Compliant with 8-bit Interface
12/16/18/24 bit color STN/UFB/TFT/TFD and OLED
TV Out interface(NTSC/PAL format)
USB 2.0 interface
Memory card
NAND flash

CL6100
ARM946E RISC Core
Fully hardwired MPEG4 Codec(30fps@D1)
Fully hardwired JPEG Codec(5MP)
VT up to 15fps@QCIF
Audio codec : MP3, E-AAC+, WMA, RA, OGG, BSAC, MUSICAM, S/W MIDI (128 poly)
Voice codec : G.723.1, AMR, EVRC, QCELP
LCD Signal Bypass Mode CCIR601, YCbCr 4:2:2 Compliant with 8-bit Interface
12/16/18/24 bit color STN/UFB/TFT/TFD and OLED TV Out interface(NTSC/PAL format)
USB 2.0 OTG
Memory card
NAND flash
Bluetooth 2.0 support
DRM supprot
1.8V/2.8V I/O Voltage
1.2V Core Voltage

klikklak said:
Exophase, http://www.corelogic.co.kr/product/handset/pmp.php

The link was posted by sbock on the new console thread.

Yes, but afaik it's pure speculation if GPH will choose a SoC from this company. And I really hope they will not choose ARM9 again as this architecture is outdated imho for a new console... ;)

Oh, right, yeah, I guess I was speculating a bit too far. Or rather, just misunderstood that they'd selected to continue with the MES -successor. Oh, they're all ARM9? Could've figured that one out myself if I could've seen past the numbers. So yes, I agree, I'd rather not see it being ARM9 again.

If they make a new console, I'd like they choose the ARM10 or ARM11 (with floating point coprocessor) and 128 Mb of memory. The average of smartphones today have the ARM11.

ARM10 is not a commercial option. If they choose ARM11 it'd be nice if it has L2 cache, but I doubt it would.

Back