Caanoo - The New Gph Console?

sbock

Chaos is our mode and modus
I found some news about the new GPH console formerly known as N35:
The new device could be called "Caanoo".

caanoo.jpg

caanoo2.jpg

Specifications:

RAM: 128MB
2GB Internally Flash Memory
Display: 3.5 inch LCD 320 × 240
SD / SDHC
G Sensor
Size: 146 (w) × 70 (h) × 18.5 (d) mm
Weight: 136g
Flash: Lite2.1
WiFi via adapter
Colors: Black, White, Red, Silver
Joystick

CPU and SoC seem to be the same as the Wiz.
August 2010 could be the release.
All informations are unofficial and not confirmed by GPH or the distributors!

Source: here and here..

Looks very nice, I wonder what the red bit on the side is? I do mean to get back to the Wiz over summer (so much more of the hardware needs exposing to developers!), maybe this will help :D .

I wonder what the joystick is too. I'm guessing that screen will be the same as the F200 one, which is good: that was a very nice screen indeed.

Orkie said:
Looks very nice, I wonder what the red bit on the side is? I do mean to get back to the Wiz over summer (so much more of the hardware needs exposing to developers!), maybe this will help :D .

I wonder what the joystick is too.

The red bit could be a volume wheel of some sort?

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh and butt ugly to boot.

You'd think they'd try to do something a lot better and a bit different to their other machines, wouldn't you? So it has WI-FI and presumably the G sensor is an accelorometer of some sort. Not exactly anything groundbreaking.

Back to LCD I see. And let's hope the joystick is better than the F100.

PokeParadox said:
red bit on side looks like a loop to put a carry strap through...

That's the power switch, as far as I remember correctly.
The volume slider is on the top.
And that stick is an analogue stick.

That device shouldn't have been revealed until E3 though... wonder who leaked that information this time.

Last edited:
Peter R said:
I'm going to wait until we have more details (and preferably pictures of an actual physical prototype) before I make any sort of judgement on it.

The prototype exists and works. I tried it already. It can be playtested on the E3, I guess.

Last edited:
Peter R said:
How does the analogue stick compare to something such as the nubs on the Pandora?

Hard to say, except for the main menu, I couldn't try out anything yet ;)

Last edited:
iprice said:
Meh and butt ugly to boot.

You'd think they'd try to do something a lot better and a bit different to their other machines, wouldn't you? So it has WI-FI and presumably the G sensor is an accelorometer of some sort. Not exactly anything groundbreaking.

Back to LCD I see. And let's hope the joystick is better than the F100.

Are you saying it has wifi built in? What's the source? Or do you mean the phantom dongle?

I quite like it. It reminds me of the GP32 for some reason.

It really needs to have more power than a Wiz though.

ED, is it the same power as the Wiz or do y ou know something that'd be interesting to us?

That thing looks awesome. I'm surprised GPH can afford to release this with the (apparent) failure of the Wiz. Are they doing well with VocaMaster or something? :)

Edit: 'G Sensor' is not needed.

It seems the Wiz' sister, for those who prefer a larger screen and stick control.
I hope GPH doesn't stop Wiz production to make only Caanoo (some better name ? :p ).

I'm surprised GPH can afford to release this with the (apparent) failure of the Wiz.

I haven't exact numbers, but I am pretty sure the Wiz has sold more than GP2X F100 going to see the same period.

The Wiz is canceled. Only 100 available units are on the way to EvilDragon's shop.

sbock said:
The Wiz is canceled. Only 100 available units are on the way to EvilDragon's shop.
Well I figured as much. GPH is on the track it seems of releasing a new unit almost every year and a half now. While it's nice to see they are working on this new hand held that does look quite nice, it does suck that they haven't even really put much support into something that actually sold fairly well. I love my wiz and it still gets a ton of play time from me. I don't regret the purchase one bit. With this Caanoo they are doing it does look quite nice, but one thing that bothers me is that it's just using an analog nub. No d-pad is kinda silly. However with the build quality of the wiz was really good and this looks be just as good. While it's kind of exciting they're working on something new it kinda sucks that the Wiz isn't having the life the GP2X had, since to me it was a better built machine.

Since it's almost 100% compatible to the WIZ, it's more an upgrade than a new console.
It looks and feels nice.

It doesn't have WiFi built-in - it uses an adaptor.
Not sure if the WIZ WiFi-Adaptor is cancelled - but I don't think so, as the EXT Port is the same, so it can be used on both units :)

Back