Caanoo - The New Gph Console?

Hardyx said:
sbock said:
The Wiz is canceled. Only 100 available units are on the way to EvilDragon's shop.
Are you sure of this? Could be a punctual out of stock.
If were true GPH or distributors would have announced it.

Well, that shouldn't have been revealed until the E3 in a few weeks, but yes, the WIZ will not be produced anymore. I stocked the last 100 and will have them in my shop soon.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Hardyx said:
sbock said:
The Wiz is canceled. Only 100 available units are on the way to EvilDragon's shop.

Well, that shouldn't have been revealed until the E3 in a few weeks, but yes, the WIZ will not be produced anymore. I stocked the last 100 and will have them in my shop soon.

To those that can't make it

IMGP1626.jpg

I am at your service...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sigh...if GPH can only stick to a platform for a year, then what hope is there for Chinese PMPs?

I guess they addressed the nasty buttons on the Wiz, and they made the screen larger. But, they sacrificed the OLED, and a lot of people loved that. And no D-Pad...that's already been explained.

If Dingoo was ever shining, it's now. GPH has lost touch...but then again, Dingoo Digital did "revise" their handheld to a generic PSP clone...

Why oh Why a analogue joystick, a D Pad and it would have been perfect :angry:

maybe this is just a new try to get the attention of new developers - because lots of the 'old' devs were already heading over to the pandora... and i think i will do that, too with the second batch ;)

i've always wanted a handheld with 3d capability with reasonable prizing - and the wiz offered that. it's good that they keep the same chip, but the missing d-pad is such a bad point that i'm not going to buy it. i'd better grab another wiz from the last stock to have replacement parts if mine dies :)

EvilDragon said:
Hardyx said:
sbock said:

Will these last 100 be sold at a reduced price or remain at the existing one? I'd definately be interested if they are cheaper.

Hirolaser said:
Will these last 100 be sold at a reduced price or remain at the existing one? I'd definately be interested if they are cheaper.

would be nice - since the koreans got some special pricing lately, too!

crow_riot said:
Hirolaser said:

would be nice - since the koreans got some special pricing lately, too!

Spanish Hardcore gamer are doing them at 99.95EUR which seems a more reasonable price. ED?

Do you reckon the Wiz will become a collector's item? I wonder how many were produced in total.

Come on guys, let's just let GPH die the death they so greatly deserve! :lol:

Looks like I sold my Wiz just in a nick of time. ;)

Chris

You do have to admit that this is pretty spectacularly mundane after all Tony Han went on about how revolutionary it'll be. This is about as far removed from "revolutionary" as things get. People were saying that it was probably just going to be an accelerometer but even I didn't think GPH would put that much hype behind such a thing.

People here seem to be forgetting that something can not be a Pandora (or simply a carbon copy of its feature set) and still be good. Also it is important to note that this won't be an absolutely massive beast like the Pandora in terms of size so I don't think it would really have room for both a D-pad and an analogue stick (or two as Sony suggested).

Personally, I don't care whether they lose the D-pad or not but I would have preferred that they stay with an OLED display but supply problems cannot always be helped.

You really have to admire their ability to design a product and bring it to market. Not having a go at the OP team as relative n00bs in the field they haven't done badly for their first time out. Just makes me wonder if OP and GPH had a better relationship and collaborated maybe the Pandora could've made it to market a lot sooner.

Peter R said:
People here seem to be forgetting that something can not be a Pandora (or simply a carbon copy of its feature set) and still be good. Also it is important to note that this won't be an absolutely massive beast like the Pandora in terms of size so I don't think it would really have room for both a D-pad and an analogue stick (or two as Sony suggested).

Personally, I don't care whether they lose the D-pad or not but I would have preferred that they stay with an OLED display but supply problems cannot always be helped.

No one is comparing it to Pandora, you'd do well not to speak for others. It could be that they think this is unimpressive all on its own, given that they've listed several legitimate complaints. People don't really like it when new harder comes out that seems to take away more than it adds, and sticking with an SoC that was dated in 2008 is not bound to get them a lot of sales.

Having a d-pad and an analog stick (even two) wouldn't make it an "absolutely massive beast" anyway. It might make it slightly larger, but it'd mostly just push those other buttons to the bottom of the unit.

The way I see it, if GPH goes forward with this it's only a small matter of time before they're superseded in performance, features, and controls by other handhelds from Korea and even China, that may very well be cheaper as well. I won't be at all surprised if this debuts for substantially more than Wiz goes for now, even though the BOM price is probably no more than a few dollars more for the accelerometer and analog stick circuitry (the extra memory is probably a wash).

Iorgy77 said:
You really have to admire their ability to design a product and bring it to market. Not having a go at the OP team as relative n00bs in the field they haven't done badly for their first time out. Just makes me wonder if OP and GPH had a better relationship and collaborated maybe the Pandora could've made it to market a lot sooner.

I don't disagree, but it's worth noting that this handheld has been in production for quite a while, probably over a year. GPH just hasn't been saying much about it. And it's quite a simpler design than Pandora, both mechanically and electrically. But maybe OP would have done better using the same case manufacturer GPH does.

SONY said:
I HATE YOU GamePark HOLDINGS!!!

I'm almost that close to hating them aswell, they really did to make a similar device to the Pandora or they'll lose out on the open source market.

Exophase said:
Because this screen is 320x240 and Wiz is 240x320. Programs running in 320x240 mode on Wiz may work but the ones that are using 240x320 directly in order to avoid tearing won't.
Yeah, all of those 240x320 apps... You know, the ones pretty much nobody did, and you threw a temper tantrum about when it was suggested this might be a solution to the tearing?

Exophase said:
No one is comparing it to Pandora, you'd do well not to speak for others.
jumpman said:
I was hopig for some competition for the Pandora
SONY said:
If it stays that way, it's a FAIL alright! Haven't they studied Pandora?

Exophase said:
If new software IS required then don't expect any from me.
Thank the lord. Ta ta, you shan't be missed!

Exophase said:
No one is comparing it to Pandora, you'd do well not to speak for others. It could be that they think this is unimpressive all on its own, given that they've listed several legitimate complaints. People don't really like it when new harder comes out that seems to take away more than it adds, and sticking with an SoC that was dated in 2008 is not bound to get them a lot of sales.

Having a d-pad and an analog stick (even two) wouldn't make it an "absolutely massive beast" anyway. It might make it slightly larger, but it'd mostly just push those other buttons to the bottom of the unit.

The way I see it, if GPH goes forward with this it's only a small matter of time before they're superseded in performance, features, and controls by other handhelds from Korea and even China, that may very well be cheaper as well. I won't be at all surprised if this debuts for substantially more than Wiz goes for now, even though the BOM price is probably no more than a few dollars more for the accelerometer and analog stick circuitry (the extra memory is probably a wash).

There are numerous references to the Pandora, and how GPH should learn from them, throughout this topic which are what I was referring to. Maybe they are just a few very noisy Pandora zealets repeatedly posting and I have mistaken their views for a concensus?

As far as the size if modifications were made goes I would rather have just an analogue stick and the device be as small as possible. I like that the Wiz has an extremely compact formfactor and would like the new system to follow in its footsteps in that regard.

Obviously the Pollux based hardware isn't going to be as computationally powerful as something along the lines of the Pandora and that will in turn limit emulator performance. However, I've never been one of these people who has wanted PSX or N64 emulation on the Wiz and when it comes to the types of native Wiz games I like to play it doesn't seem like the hardware has been a limiting factor at all. Additionally, how are we to know if GPH are already working on another system even further down the line that is substantially more powerful and would stand to replace these two as their successor?

Back