Caanoo - The New Gph Console?

Well i think the Caanoo looks bloody brilliant.

With all the recent features, and looking at the games I cancelled my Pandora for a refund to buy one, and have nearly 200 quid spare! (Also openpandora have held my money a good 2 years!! Enough is enough right?)

It's cheaper, (I personally think it looks better) and has the features that I want! Also nearish the specifications of the Pandora.

absolofdoom said:
I think a lot of people are just relieved that they won't have to buy GPH stuff anymore for their emulation fix. GPH, regardless of how you argue it, do not understand what the community wants, and consistently release flawed consoles that the community has to fix (if they can be fixed; hardware stuff usually can't be). (USB net, screen tearing, hardware defects, faulty EXT cables, etc) In general, it feels like you're fighting the device to do anything. Plus, the community has to fix these consoles' problems without the kernel source, as aforementioned, because GPH can't be buggered to follow the rules and release it.

@sbock You keep saying someone needs to ask GPH for the source, but even assuming no one has, it GPH's responsibility to make the source code available; we should not have to ask them to make it available each time they release something. Go look at the GPL if you don't agree, because it's not really an opinion-type thing. They don't even include the license with the product anyway AFAIK, which is violating the GPL to start with.

It's difficult to have a 'Quality Control' (or engineers, or software developers and so on..) like Nintendo or Sony... GPH is a (very?) small company and I'm sure most people working there do it not for passion but for 'having a job'. They are not the most brilliant brains on the planet so I think that, for what they are, they continue to release nice products. I mean if you compare the Caanoo (the worst name in GamePark history probably) to the Dingoo then there are leaps of quality between the two. The Dingoo seems the tipical chinese clone (in everything), the Caanoo seems a far more researched product (better SoC, lot of features, nice shell design, etc.), and cost very little for what it offers. The Nintendo DS Lite costs nearly the same but hardware wise it's seem 'cheaper' (the SoC is prehistoric) and it's made in industrial quantities so probably to Nintendo it costs very little to produce, it's not the same for GPH.

I purchased, long time ago, a GP32 and even at that time the quality was not bad (aside the lag audio problems). They value your opinions but I don't think that they have to cut features like analog controls (that can be used in a variety of emulators and in new games) because old pads were digital. It can act like a dpad, maybe not 'exactly the same' but well enough. Adding a dpad near the analog stick would have increased complexity of the board and cost and ruined the comfort of playing. They are not Nintendo, they must plan carefully what to add and what to remove, they do not benefit from high sales.

I eagerly wait for the Caanoo (not in stock, cannot purchase), I too have some 'perplexities' (for the name, for the button shoulders, for the non-inclusion of the wi-fi capabilities directly on the board, for the 'old' SoC), but I like very much the 'big picture'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back