Bodhi Pandora

But sell it to me: what would that distro provide me that SuperZaxxon or SL4P don't have?
- a nice customisable desktop

- lots of artwork

- repositorys

- package manager

- a lot of tools (fdisk yeaYY xD)

- more drivers! (printers etc.)

Ths distribution is really cool! Gonna move eighter to Slackware or Bodhi as I don't think an embedded distribution is the best choice anymore. I  already "abandoned" the NAND xD

A desktop/server Linux is much more suited for the Pandora because it is not an emulation only device. A lot of people also use it for a wide range of desktop work.

^ I still don't see anything more improved versus Slackware for Pandora.. It has just as much, but working SGX drivers and such.

Not saying more OSs isn't bad, but without the PND system and working SGX drivers I see it as a step backward.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ its definetly not a step backwards. SGX drivers, pnd system and such are just not working yet. Question is why should anyone put effort into fixing these, when there's little interest.

Can't say if their repo is any good but if you're able use the Debian repo its an advantage. Also thier E17 WM seems to be cool

The thing is if your looking for advantages you'll find some. Or there can be other reoson for choseing a particular distribution over another.

I still don't see anything more improved versus Slackware for Pandora.
I enjoy running SL4P, but I would be much more comfortable with debian and the ample apt repositories they have.
SGX and volume control would be greatly wanted, but I don't particularly see why I would need the pnd-system.

(I could always boot to the stock firmware for those)

^
Personally I'm more comfortable with slackware, but that's my own preference.. 

To me It's just a tad bit of convenience to be able to use PNDs if needed... 

Not trying to knock it, but just trying to find a reason I'd use it over other choices.

Note:

The pandora's main volume control (the wheel) is a hardware variable resistor, and will continue to work irrespective of software.

It is software volume control that is missing here.

It is software volume control that is missing here.
Yes, and I want it.
@ TrashyMG: PNDs will probably not work since they are compiled against softfp I think.

On hardfp only the new SGX driver will work, which is only useful on the 1gHz units.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

(I don't mind these things, I have a 1ghz model and don't think I'll need pnds on this)

Mostly i'm just currious to try E17 on a mobile device with touchscreen :)

^ Right, I already knew why they didn't work...

^ oh I'm sorry, I forgot that your knowledge disseminates to all other members of the forum.

Telepathic link and all.

^ It doesn't!?

I don't mean to derail.. I'm sure that this OS has some good merits.. I just don't think it's for me. 

so we have a lot of questions and a lot of "i will try".

but guys srsly: there is not a single "i downloaded and tested it" in this thread. so please hold your questions and actually test it. 

luckily ingo and infinity did so in the german forum (thx to them) so if you want me to sell it to you i simply quote them:

"Alles in allem Suuuuper" (all in all super) and "geht super einfach. Läuft auch super flüssig" (super easy. works smooth )

i made this to have a clone of my desktop system on the pandora and the result is indeed a very good replica of our pc system.

there is no point in expecting "more" from it than the other images offer neither to expect that everything works.

just imagine if every release of every os is stalled till its 100% working, that would be a single release every few years with no testing disks between. 

give me a list, i dont see any questions that are not already answered by reading the first post.

For one, the post after that first one:

"Is it fully compatible with debian repositories?"

Is it? I've never used a debian derivative like this. Is it simply based on debian repositories and redistributed?

Maybe next week I have time to empty one of my sd-cards and have a try with it.

it uses debian.org as repo too, if thats what you mean. so yes.

but bodhi provides also its own repo. sadly the arm branch repo is not as big as the pc repo which is big and very recent.  

just dont expect something like blender 2.67.....

I really want to give it a shot, ELW my friend, but my new sd cards aren't coming until this weekend. -_-  (Bought them for storing my mame romset and music)

Any brave heroes want to taste this brightly coloured crab first?

I like debian.  I've been running slack for half a year now on the pandora but prefer apt-get.  So I loaded bodhi.  Then xfce4.

My keyboard is not completely working.  No colon, and the dollar sign is above the 4 instead of fn-N.  This is in both window managers.  I've tried

# loadkeys .pndXmodmap after copying .pndXmodmap from slack.  But loadkeys complains with "unknown keysym 'NoSymbol'"

Then duckduckgo kept asking if I meant "No Symbol" without allowing me to answer "no".

Hmmm.  Stuck.

But apt-get is nice. :)

it uses debian.org as repo too, if thats what you mean. so yes.
but bodhi provides also its own repo. sadly the arm branch repo is not as big as the pc repo which is big and very recent.

just dont expect something like blender 2.67.....
i will check this out!
thanks for your efforts, mate.

Back