Bob''s Game

as long as he uses this time to work on the pandora version, I'm perfectly fine with it ^^

I think PoisonedV wins the douche bag of the year award with that post. That was just nice.

I'm personally looking forward to the game. It looks amazing. I've done my part by sending a message to Nintendo and I hope he succeeds in his effort.

Yeah all the videos look cool. I've held onto my ds just incase it comes out for that and not pandora.

bustaballs said:
I think PoisonedV wins the douche bag of the year award with that post. That was just nice.

I'm personally looking forward to the game. It looks amazing. I've done my part by sending a message to Nintendo and I hope he succeeds in his effort.
You think I want the game to fail? I started the topic, you dolt. of course I'm looking forward to it. that doesn't mean I can't recognize and call out what hes doing as stupid and over dramatic.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those joining in on this e-mailing thing: The licensing thing isn't about just "buying a DVD" or whatever. This makes it look as though there possibly may not have been as much contact with Nintendo as is implied. (If I am mistaken, then I apologise - I'm just saying that that's how it ends up looking. :p)

My understanding (thanks to a friend who has been through this process) is that the right way to go about this would be to seek out an already-licensed publisher to bring the product to market (I know that Bob's statement says that he doesn't need a publisher, but read on to see why I raise this). To give an example, this is exactly what happened with the publisher Alten8, and the game GT Racer for the GBA - here's how it started life, for the curious. :p This makes the conspiracy angle look silly - if they didn't like the line being "blurred" and homebrew games being published as retail games, allowing them to be published by licensed publishers is a funny way of showing it. :p

I would have to agree that what he is doing is rather childish, though I have dealt with Nintendo before and know how difficult they can be. Everything is cleared through the Japanese HQ, so a fair bit of things get lost in translation, or they don't even bother trying to pass it along because there is just so many corporate layers it needs to pass through to get to anyone useful.

A friend of mine who is fairly high up in the chain at EA told me once that one of their early DS games took a year and a half to get the proper licensing, even though EA themselves were handling the development and publishing.

DS, being a cartridge system, has to go through a very expensive manufacturing process which, unless the the game is obviously going to be massively successful, can often just not be financially viable. It's very expensive per unit to make small batches. It's just not worth it to Nintendo unless they can have some assurance of it's potential.

For a single person developing a game by himself out of his room it would be exceedingly difficult to convince Nintendo that your idea is a good one. To be honest, I don't see why Nintendo would want this game. It looks awesome to us, but to the average Nintendo customer it probably wouldn't have much appeal at all.

I think the game should just be released for other systems--the PC would be a good choice. When it proves itself Nintendo won't leave him alone.

I was kinda under the impression that this game was going to be a downloaded game that was going to be utilized by Nintendo's new DSi mobile....but Then it seem like the DSi isn't coming out until some time in 2009. Just like the Pandora *sigh*.

How can I show Nintendo I'm serious?
By throwing a hissy-fit for 100 days. Surely there was a better way Bob?

After this Nintendo will just think he is unstable and send his rejection slip.

Get him a dev kit in with his next food parcel though...

CyruzDraxs said:
DS, being a cartridge system, has to go through a very expensive manufacturing process which, unless the the game is obviously going to be massively successful, can often just not be financially viable. It's very expensive per unit to make small batches. It's just not worth it to Nintendo unless they can have some assurance of it's potential.
Well, but Nintendo only LICENSE the game... he wanted to produce it himself, no?
Or do ALL cartridges have to be produced by Nintendo (because of copy protection, etc.)

For a single person developing a game by himself out of his room it would be exceedingly difficult to convince Nintendo that your idea is a good one. To be honest, I don't see why Nintendo would want this game. It looks awesome to us, but to the average Nintendo customer it probably wouldn't have much appeal at all.

Well, the the funny thing is: Nintendo did start with (mostly) ONE PERSON GAMES themselves. It was all Miyamoto who had fresh, weird and new ideas which DID work out, funnily.

They thought the Donkey Kong Arcade would be a failure... and it clearly wasn't.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
CyruzDraxs said:
Well, but Nintendo only LICENSE the game... he wanted to produce it himself, no?
Or do ALL cartridges have to be produced by Nintendo (because of copy protection, etc.)

All games are manufactured by Nintendo and thus have to have a proper manufacturing license and a bunch of other Corporate BS before they even get looked at.
EvilDragon said:

Well, the the funny thing is: Nintendo did start with (mostly) ONE PERSON GAMES themselves. It was all Miyamoto who had fresh, weird and new ideas which DID work out, funnily.

They thought the Donkey Kong Arcade would be a failure... and it clearly wasn't.

That was back when pretty much any game development team was less than 10 people. Now there is multi-million dollar budgets and 1000 person teams spending years to make a game. A one-man-team would just get laughed at in this era of massive production video games.

Sadly, even Nintendo has started to lose interest in the 'low-budget' games. I think the Pandora will mark the rebirth of the game industry, while Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft fight for their majority share, despite losing millions on high-cost, high-risk hardware and software.

I think the pandora will go by unnoticed. just like the GP2X.
nothing stopped when the GP2X was released, and when you think about the pandora- in many ways a natural evolution of what the community was using the gp2x for- you can predict it much the same way. odds are higher than ever against freeware developers and they just keep rising, their only real ability now is to 1. produce innovative ideas that wouldnt get published due to niche audiences or 2. to make free versions of existing games. they have, for the most part, been losing their ability to reach the scope, production, shine and polish of retail games for 12 years and unless developers really step it up to make their stuff user friendly and generic (ugh) the pandora doesn't seem like it will be a big hit. not to mention the much higher price point, the technological know-how that will be required in the beginning and quite possibly intermediate stages, and the keyboard, it won't appeal to gamers. yes, these all make sense but they won't make sense the way they will look at it.

PoisonedV said:
I think the pandora will go by unnoticed. just like the GP2X.
nothing stopped when the GP2X was released, and when you think about the pandora- in many ways a natural evolution of what the community was using the gp2x for- you can predict it much the same way. odds are higher than ever against freeware developers and they just keep rising, their only real ability now is to 1. produce innovative ideas that wouldnt get published due to niche audiences or 2. to make free versions of existing games. they have, for the most part, been losing their ability to reach the scope, production, shine and polish of retail games for 12 years and unless developers really step it up to make their stuff user friendly and generic (ugh) the pandora doesn't seem like it will be a big hit. not to mention the much higher price point, the technological know-how that will be required in the beginning and quite possibly intermediate stages, and the keyboard, it won't appeal to gamers. yes, these all make sense but they won't make sense the way they will look at it.
World of goo has been a success and is made by I think 2 people! for me bob should be copying their system of create publish and sell to markets you can hit yourself via websites E.g PC and MAC get it fine tuned and at the major games shows get lots of press for having a great game and then go for XBLA or the Wii version(cant remember its name) then IF its succesful maybe an actual production for DS or PSP etc

Nintendo where happy to allow World of Goo out on Wii so dont think they have anything against small dev teams! maybe they have something against bad games? I havent played Bobs game and no one has as far as i know maybe it isnt actually that profesionally put together?

TaG said:
Username said:
A donation system would be interesting... but if he made it freeware it might attract more customers to the pandora.

jakewastaken said:
WizardStan said:
I hate to point out, but he probably doesn't really care if the Pandora is a success or not. In fact, if someone asked me to donate 5 years of my time so someone else's product could be a bigger hit, I might feel exceptionally insulted.
I somehow doubt he'll need to spend an additional 5 years porting this to the Pandora. No one is asking him to donate anything at all. He developed his own game by himself for commercial profit. If he chooses to port it to the Pandora then a bunch of us will pay him for that as well. If not, oh well. I'd be flattered if a group of people showed interest in my game rather than insulted. We're not trying to get him to ditch his DS version...
If you read the post two up from yours, someone was suggesting that he could make his game freeware, to attract customers to Pandora. So the point is whywould he spend five years of his life and then help someone else's hardware? He may want to in order to maximise the number of people that play his game but if so why start with a freeware port to Pandora?
Same for me here... why after 5 years of development suddenly discredit Nintendo (what about lisence?).

What's his motivation?

He updated it. Tone is even worse, lol. It's like hes always had his way in life and is just now for the first time facing an opposition. He sounds like an arrogant, pampered, whiny bitch.

image here, incase he puts his pride away and realizes what a fool of himself he has made and removes it:
sym5o1.jpg

Really, Bob?
How many more temper tantrums is he going to have? He's like a child.

edit: theres another update before that, apparently, and its almost as bad. also loling at him claiming 2 different 'hacker for hire' groups are trying to DDoS him (lol, paranoia)

favorite quotes:

"bob's game" is a game by ONE PERSON, and it's one of the GREATEST GAMES EVER MADE- if not THE BEST.
I stand alone on a mountain no other has even dared to climb. I have swam across the ocean only cruise ships could cross.
I have walked through the desert of no return. I have stepped in the footprints of none, a path never taken.
I have MADE HISTORY, and history cannot be undone. It's too late, Nintendo.

No man has ever accomplished what I have accomplished at 25 years old- it's no wonder you fear accepting this truth!
My work has humiliated your teams of engineers. One young man- singlehandedly- has made their lifetime of work seem like child's play.
How can they possibly compete with such overwhelming skill? It's not even fair, is it? That's too bad, Nintendo. I'm real, and I'm here.
You can't ignore me forever. I AM RIGHT, AND IT WILL WORK.
"

one of the greatest games ever made- thats why it can't find a publisher, isn't appealing to a large portion of people, has gameplay that, simple or complex, lacks any real depth or strategy, and has only been played by a few people.
No ones dared to climb this mountain- oh, except for pixel, who released cave story at the age of 24, or the thousands of independent developers who released games just as large for free or self published, and yes: sometimes 1 man teams.
He made history: of what? like i've said, this has all been done before. the only history you have made has been throwing the largest internet temper tantrum that even I cannot surpass.

"There is nobody like me. I have created the entire game, start to finish.
I am far better than Miyamoto, Itoi, Kojima, Carmack, and Wright COMBINED."
ahahah no need to refute this
"NONE of these "designers" could create the entire thing if their lives depended on it!"
What does distributing work to to make them less great? you took 5 years to code a relatively simple looking game. really, if someone has multiple programmers, it shows intelligence and capability, and success in business, not lack of game design skill.
"They rely on the assistance of others- and take all the credit. They don't even deserve their titles! I have bested them all by far."

They don't take all the credit- that's just stupid. You haven't bested them: no one has played your game, and so to most people, you don't HAVE a game, and don't deserve a title.

the rest is even worse. I love how this guy manages to ridicule and insult all professional, independent, and amateur game developers and designers, along with all professional, independent, and amateur games in just a few paragraphs.

Don't dismiss the possibility that this is all intentional marketing just yet.

Alex. said:
Don't dismiss the possibility that this is all intentional marketing just yet.
I sort of realize that this is a ploy for attention, but it's just as inexcusable.

(and now that I think about it- if it is just to get outraged attention, will that really get more people to play his game? he was doing far better as an 'underdog' than an 'asshole')

I must admit after reading his previous "updates" and now this one I am in stitches. I must agree with PoisonedV, he is acting like a completely ego-driven idiot. I believe most homebrewers are out to make something people will enjoy, but to me this guy seems out for fame and glory.

Back