Bob''s Game

I sent Bob a message too, It only takes a min and shows the dev(s) that we will support them, because for them that is the biggest question.

Hi Bob,

I've watched the video for Bob's game, and I must congratulate you on your ingenious work. It's breathtaking and fantastic that you can create something so professional. It does look like an intriguing game and very fun, but the problem is I don't have a DS, and, no I don't want you to send me one ! ;) :p
I have heard that there are rumblings that it may appear for a new console called the Pandora. I just want to lend my thanks that you're even considering it. Though there is only 4000 consoles in the first batch (one of which is hopefully mine) I assure you that you have my support in the matter (I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing, but I am a humble consumer), and that if you do decide to port it, I 100% will purchase a copy.

I wish you all the best in your commercial venture with the DS version. I appreciate that you are probably very busy at the moment.
Best regards,

and got a reply:

Yes, I'm going to port to Pandora. I'd like to have as many people play it as possible, since I spent so much time on it. :)
It looks like a really cool console, so as soon as the development tools are available I'll get right to work on it!
Thanks, David!

B)

GET THIS MAN SOME DEV TOOLS ASAP!!! :angry: :huh: :lol: :p :D

javaJake said:
Gilrad said:
UUUUUPPPPDAAAAATTEEEE!
<snip>

Looks like we're going to be treated to something special! Sweet!
Wow! I can't believe it! A DS game getting ported to the Pandora. :D

I'm excited that it's getting ported, but I don't understand why it's so amazing that we're getting a DS game ported to the Pandora. On the GP2X, we got Payback, which was a port of a GBA game.

I mean, sure, THIS game being ported is awesome, but I don't understand why the fact that it is a DS game that is getting ported (as opposed to an Indie or PC title or somesuch) is so amazing.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
javaJake said:
Gilrad said:
UUUUUPPPPDAAAAATTEEEE!
<snip>

I'm excited that it's getting ported, but I don't understand why it's so amazing that we're getting a DS game ported to the Pandora. On the GP2X, we got Payback, which was a port of a GBA game.

I mean, sure, THIS game being ported is awesome, but I don't understand why the fact that it is a DS game that is getting ported (as opposed to an Indie or PC title or somesuch) is so amazing.

-God Ginrai

I think it is because payback was a lame GTA rip off, and bob's game is an original (or at least close to it) that people think will actually be good. No offense to any one who likes payback.

TeaJunky said:
God Ginrai said:
javaJake said:
Gilrad said:
UUUUUPPPPDAAAAATTEEEE!
<snip>

-God Ginrai

I think it is because payback was a lame GTA rip off, and bob's game is an original (or at least close to it) that people think will actually be good. No offense to any one who likes payback.

Whoa, I think you misunderstood me there. I wasn't trying to make any conjectures about the quality of EITHER game. (Payback or Bob's game)

Javajake seemed genuinely excited that a DS game was being ported, and I was just asking why a DS game being ported was any more exciting than a GBA game getting ported. It's essentially the same thing that's going on that allows for this to happen.

I personally think Payback was a good game, and you shouldn't insult the game, because it took a lot of convincing to get that company to port it to the GP2X.

-God Ginrai

Awesome news - I really really hope this comes off :).

That said, does anyone else find it odd that the two most recent emails from Bob were signed "Brian" and "David" respectively?

It's probably just that more people are getting involved now that everything is taking off, but the cynic in me can't help but wonder whether the reality of Bob's Game is that it was made by more than the one person claimed, but is being marketted virally as being a one-man job because people would be more likely to buy it.

Not that that would stop me buying it, of course, as long as the game were good, but still...

Tobriand said:
That said, does anyone else find it odd that the two most recent emails from Bob were signed "Brian" and "David" respectively?
That is odd, but notice the exclamation point at the end? I think that Brian and David are the respective Pandora enthusiasts who sent the emails. He is thanking them for there inquiry. It just looks odd because it is normally where one would expect to see the signature...

This looks really cool. I wish him all the best.

BackAssward said:
PoisonedV said:
teh_programerer said:
Very cool. I always thought he really wanted to get a publisher interested in his five year journey of a game?
he did. this is a commercial venture and the pandora version will be no exception.

As much as you like to insult and assume... you shouldn't make claims that you have no factual info on. It might (and likely will) be a cost or commercial game for the pandora, but to say it like an existing fact... you are nothing but a pontificator (and insulting douchbag for the most part). You post a lot, but provide no value (yes, I see the irony here, so don't bother pointing that out in your douchy ways).

Jeez, what's with the over-blown hostility toward a pretty innocuous comment that was proven to be correct?

God Ginrai said:
Whoa, I think you misunderstood me there. I wasn't trying to make any conjectures about the quality of EITHER game. (Payback or Bob's game)

Javajake seemed genuinely excited that a DS game was being ported, and I was just asking why a DS game being ported was any more exciting than a GBA game getting ported. It's essentially the same thing that's going on that allows for this to happen.

I personally think Payback was a good game, and you shouldn't insult the game, because it took a lot of convincing to get that company to port it to the GP2X.

-God Ginrai
I guess I should have also added "no offense to any one that worked on getting it ported."

My point is more along the lines that this seems like a unique game. I didn't want to make any conjecture on how good the game is (mainly because I don't play GTA or 'similar' games). I was just trying to say that it was lame that it was a shameless GTA copy, and the part about "...actually be good" was just in reference to how much Javajake and you seem to be hoping it will be really good. Still most of the critical opinions of Payback were mediocre. I will say it does look like a good 3d recreation tho.

Now that I really think about it your right there really is no difference, both are games on THE current hand held consoles of their time.

EDIT: removed ginormous quote pyramid - Chip

Tobriand said:
Awesome news - I really really hope this comes off :).

It's probably just that more people are getting involved now that everything is taking off, but the cynic in me can't help but wonder whether the reality of Bob's Game is that it was made by more than the one person claimed, but is being marketted virally as being a one-man job because people would be more likely to buy it.

Not that that would stop me buying it, of course, as long as the game were good, but still...

ingrin said:
Tobriand said:
That is odd, but notice the exclamation point at the end? I think that Brian and David are the respective Pandora enthusiasts who sent the emails. He is thanking them for there inquiry. It just looks odd because it is normally where one would expect to see the signature...

Hey guys, Yep I'm David, I sent him the email in my previous post because I really want to show Bob that I want to support his game. It's a double-edged sword if the dev doesn't get any interest in porting a game over to a new system; because I would hazard a guess that they won't want to put the time and effort in if there's no real payback or interest generated from the game, which is a perfectly valid reason.
Likewise the gamers want devs to support their new platform and want the devs to make a move, it's well worth shooting a quick email to your favourite devs if you want them to make games you like on the Pandora because what's the worse that could happen ? Even if they say 'no' at least they know of the system and the lengths that the fan-base is willing to go to get the game they like on their new system. There's no real loss at sending an email, even a short, quick to the point one because at least then they know of the interest :D

I do feel that it is time for fans to start contacting devs, and say 'hey guys I really want you to support this platform!' because it sends out a signal that we are enthusiastic and we want to encourage them and experience their games on the system, and who knows, we may get some real surprises~ :eek:

And yeah, for the record, I am Brian. Kindof funny how we all have real names, isn't it? :)

Gilrad said:
And yeah, for the record, I am Brian. Kindof funny how we all have real names, isn't it? :)
You have real names?!

God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai

Well I don't know the details, but how many GP2Xs had been sold by the time that Payback had been confirmed for release? Was it once the GP2X was a well established machine, or was it announced before GP2X was actually released?

If it was announced before the actual release of the GP2X then it's equally impressive. If it there was already an established userbase of 20-30 thousand units by the time Payback was announced, then I feel that the Bob's game announcement is worth getting a bit more excited over.

Pleng said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai

Well I don't know the details, but how many GP2Xs had been sold by the time that Payback had been confirmed for release? Was it once the GP2X was a well established machine, or was it announced before GP2X was actually released?

If it was announced before the actual release of the GP2X then it's equally impressive. If it there was already an established userbase of 20-30 thousand units by the time Payback was announced, then I feel that the Bob's game announcement is worth getting a bit more excited over.

It was announced several months after the GP2x release, but who knows how long they had been working on it in prior to the announcement. As I recall there was a video of EvilDragon at a trade show/interview and he was showing off the Gp2x, everyone noticed that he appeared to be playing a port of Payback.

I will add, the Playback released on the GP2x was superior to the one released on GBA, it wasn't just a quick port. I would say it was an overall well regarded game within the community. I regret not purchasing while I had my GP2x, because I played the heck out of the demo...

God Ginrai said:
Maybe it isn't really that exciting to you, but something about the fact that the Pandora hasn't even shipped yet and more than a few developers have confirmed ports of commercial games to an open-source console is exciting to me. :p

TeaJunky said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai

I hate to burst your bubble but both the Nintendo and GP2X versions of Payback were ports of the original Amiga version as can be found in the original press release. (Also, if it is a clone of GTA, keep in mind that it was never intended to be run on the same platforms that GTA ran on. I remember that there was a fun little game for the Commodore 64 years ago called the Great Gianna Sisters and it didn't bother me one bit that it was a Mario rip-off because I never owned an NES in my whole life.)

javaJake said:
God Ginrai said:
Maybe it isn't really that exciting to you, but something about the fact that the Pandora hasn't even shipped yet and more than a few developers have confirmed ports of commercial games to an open-source console is exciting to me. :p

No one seems to understand what I'm saying. I'm excited that a commercial game is coming, and I'm excited that that game is Bob's game. What I don't understand is why it matters that it is a DS commercial game instead of a commercial game in general. You seemed so excited that it was specifically a DS commercial game.

-God Ginrai

I understand, god Ginrai, and I don't really know. either way, bobs game has kind of made me re enthustiastic about the pandora, after i preordered i got kind of not excited

God Ginrai said:
No one seems to understand what I'm saying. I'm excited that a commercial game is coming, and I'm excited that that game is Bob's game. What I don't understand is why it matters that it is a DS commercial game instead of a commercial game in general. You seemed so excited that it was specifically a DS commercial game.
Because it's something different, something new. It's not every day you see a console-specific game suddenly jump up out of its original shell and enter a new case. To have a DS developer re-release a game, and then re-release with optimizations specifically for the Pandora, is pretty awesome in my opinion.

Then again, maybe I haven't been around long enough, and you guys see that sort of thing all the time. ;)

javaJake said:
God Ginrai said:
Because it's something different, something new. It's not every day you see a console-specific game suddenly jump up out of its original shell and enter a new case. To have a DS developer re-release a game, and then re-release with optimizations specifically for the Pandora, is pretty awesome in my opinion.

Then again, maybe I haven't been around long enough, and you guys see that sort of thing all the time. ;)

Take a look at the Payback GP2X report, it's a great read and it'll show you that this was definitely not a straight-from-GBA port.

I don't understand what TeaJunky has against it - I think it's safe to say that there is such a thing as a 'GTA genre', just as there are the 'Doom', 'Dune 2', and 'Bejeweled' genres, if you get my drift. The only bad thing is that I suspect Payback did not enjoy the sales numbers it actually deserved, though that can probably be said about most commercial GP2X games too.

Alex. said:
I don't understand what TeaJunky has against it - I think it's safe to say that there is such a thing as a 'GTA genre', just as there are the 'Doom', 'Dune 2', and 'Bejeweled' genres, if you get my drift. The only bad thing is that I suspect Payback did not enjoy the sales numbers it actually deserved, though that can probably be said about most commercial GP2X games too.

how do you think that Pandora games will fare? Good? Bad?

Back