Bob''s Game

did this guy forget the pandora has a 3d gpu? a powerful one?

haha kidding ^^. i personally dislike the lack of 3D titles on the DS, and this may happen to Pandora / Wiz aswell... anyway looks awesome, will look forward to playing.

I hate to point out, but he probably doesn't really care if the Pandora is a success or not. In fact, if someone asked me to donate 5 years of my time so someone else's product could be a bigger hit, I might feel exceptionally insulted.

WizardStan said:
I hate to point out, but he probably doesn't really care if the Pandora is a success or not. In fact, if someone asked me to donate 5 years of my time so someone else's product could be a bigger hit, I might feel exceptionally insulted.
I somehow doubt he'll need to spend an additional 5 years porting this to the Pandora. No one is asking him to donate anything at all. He developed his own game by himself for commercial profit. If he chooses to port it to the Pandora then a bunch of us will pay him for that as well. If not, oh well. I'd be flattered if a group of people showed interest in my game rather than insulted. We're not trying to get him to ditch his DS version...

Last edited by a moderator:
Username said:
A donation system would be interesting... but if he made it freeware it might attract more customers to the pandora.

jakewastaken said:
WizardStan said:
I somehow doubt he'll need to spend an additional 5 years porting this to the Pandora. No one is asking him to donate anything at all. He developed his own game by himself for commercial profit. If he chooses to port it to the Pandora then a bunch of us will pay him for that as well. If not, oh well. I'd be flattered if a group of people showed interest in my game rather than insulted. We're not trying to get him to ditch his DS version...
If you read the post two up from yours, someone was suggesting that he could make his game freeware, to attract customers to Pandora. So the point is whywould he spend five years of his life and then help someone else's hardware? He may want to in order to maximise the number of people that play his game but if so why start with a freeware port to Pandora?

Well I definately want to play it, and as I am selling my ds to justify getting a pandora I'd love him to port it. I also think he deserves to be able to ask money for his game without being judged.

cosurgi said:
javaJake said:
Anyone who plays this and enjoys it should pay the standard DS game price, in my opinion. He pretty much deserves it.
And what is the Ds price? :)
$40 for a good, solid game. :)

Prometheus said:
EDIT: And stuff like Brain Training and so on tends to start at £19.99. Forgot that.

This game is definitely not Brain Training. :D

Most DS games are $30, with some Nintendo Stalwart titles around $35 USD. The 'Budget' price is $15-$20. There are very few $40 titles that don't come with some other peripheral.

FWIW, I'm willing to pay $30 max for a truly retail quality game that is in a genre I like (and Bob's game looks awesome, but not really my cup of tea, though I may pick it up to support his efforts and the Pandora).

UUUUUPPPPDAAAAATTEEEE!

Sorry for the delay, it's been crazy on this side as well. :)
I'll be working on a Pandora port as soon as the tools are widely available, I'd like to do downloadable content or shareware.
Since the resolution is higher on the Pandora screen and the hardware capabilities are more powerful, I'll be able to render "bob's game" with a zoomable camera system, to allow the player to zoom out and see more of the game world. I'm also going to implement the option to smooth the sprites and tiles, and possibly have the ability to update the software with more features and content. The touch controls will port over nicely, as well as the wireless features. Once the nature of "bob's game" is fully revealed, it'll make a lot more sense how I'm going to use some of these features. :) The Pandora really is the ideal platform for this type of thing, I'm excited to work on it!
I'll be checking on this project and awaiting access to development tools, keep me updated for sure.
Thanks, Brian!

Looks like we're going to be treated to something special! Sweet!

Gilrad said:
UUUUUPPPPDAAAAATTEEEE!

Sorry for the delay, it's been crazy on this side as well. :)
I'll be working on a Pandora port as soon as the tools are widely available, I'd like to do downloadable content or shareware.
Since the resolution is higher on the Pandora screen and the hardware capabilities are more powerful, I'll be able to render "bob's game" with a zoomable camera system, to allow the player to zoom out and see more of the game world. I'm also going to implement the option to smooth the sprites and tiles, and possibly have the ability to update the software with more features and content. The touch controls will port over nicely, as well as the wireless features. Once the nature of "bob's game" is fully revealed, it'll make a lot more sense how I'm going to use some of these features. :) The Pandora really is the ideal platform for this type of thing, I'm excited to work on it!
I'll be checking on this project and awaiting access to development tools, keep me updated for sure.
Thanks, Brian!
Looks like we're going to be treated to something special! Sweet!

This is awesome news! Looks like he is excited about the Pandora after all :)

I agree with the above comments.
I'll pony up $25 or $30 USD just to support his efforts.
I'd much rather my money went more directly to the designer, such as the Bob writer.
Kinda like the Pandora, itself, actually.

I'd buy Bob's game for pandora in a heartbeat. I hope the port gets done and he won't stumble across any legal issues or anything.

B-ZaR said:
I hope the port gets done and he won't stumble across any legal issues or anything.
Huh? :huh: What sort of legal could stop someone porting a game that is entirely his own work?

Good news that he is interested. Now what happened to those 100 developer units mentioned? ;)

Okay, this is the coolest thing ever.
Really, i'll buy this game and I don't even like adventures. But he deserves it, it seems to be good and he is thrilled about he pandora.
I'll gladly pay 30 Euro for that. (=40 USD)

hey

Maybe they should be sent a free Pandora to help get it ported quicker, otherwise if they have to wait for the second batch then it might be a while before they even start to bring "bob's game" to the pandora :).

Hmm, although it might not matter if they gonna be busy throughout this time and not get a chance to work on the pandora port. So it might be best to contact them about such things, I would leave this to craig, maybe such things have already been discussed.

Anyhows I really look forward to "bob's game", and hope we see more of it's kind on the Pandora :).

Gilrad: Would you care to say where that quote came from? is that an email or something?

cyas

TaG said:
B-ZaR said:
I hope the port gets done and he won't stumble across any legal issues or anything.
Huh? :huh: What sort of legal could stop someone porting a game that is entirely his own work?

Good news that he is interested. Now what happened to those 100 developer units mentioned? ;)

Well, he already has a publisher contract for the DS version (afaik), and sometimes those contracts may restrain the distribution rights of the author. I don't know if this is the case, hence hoping for the best. :)

B-ZaR said:
Well, he already has a publisher contract for the DS version (afaik)
I thought he was still in discussions, hence my comment. If anyone knows any different...

TaG said:
B-ZaR said:
Well, he already has a publisher contract for the DS version (afaik)
I thought he was still in discussions, hence my comment. If anyone knows any different...

I might remember incorrectly. However, I still wish there will be no problems, legal or otherwise :)

Back