Best SNES games

What a great title to spend your first post on! :D (Welcome, by the way.)

Unirally is sadly lesser-known than it deserves to be, partly because of a lawsuit from Pixar, which halted the production of the game. Apparently they thought that they owned the rights to all CGI unicycles - and won. As a result, the game was limited to a production run of only 300,000, and no more. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great title to spend your first post on! :D (Welcome, by the way.)

Unirally is sadly lesser-known than it deserves to be, partly because of a lawsuit from Pixar, which halted the production of the game. Apparently they thought that they owned the rights to all CGI unicycles - and won. As a result, the game was limited to a production run of only 300,000, and no more. :(
Wait, what?! So... If it's a CGI unicycle, it belongs to Pixar 0_o!? Oh crap, I need to go smash my hard drives, I've created CGI coffee mugs, I've seen CGI coffee mugs in Pixar films!!!

EDIT: Also, this:

Uniracers_boxart.png

vs. this:

RedPixar.jpg

Right now I'm hooked on Breath of Fire and planning to play through the whole series! Love the first one!

OMG - How did i not mention Harvest Moon

harvestmoonsnes.jpg

tumblr_l4631g6fXm1qb4p5po1_500.jpg

harvest-moon-virtual-console-20080210090410096_640w.jpg

Probably the game most directly responsible for face-books' farm-ville, Harvest Moon is one seriously addictive game. Based on min/maxing efficiency and taking advantage of certain aspects of game design (while also tuning some of the local ladies), this game is ideal for the perfectionist/OCD within everyone. I think Harvest moon is now on at least 4 platforms.

I can't believe no one mentioned these this game:

Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World: Includes the original Super Mario All-Stars AND an IMPROVED version of Super Mario World (namely, Luigi actually has his own graphics).

Star Fox is great, but a certain other SNES game that has the number "2" in its title is even better. It was supposed to be a sequel to another great SNES game that was released before, but it had quite significant gameplay differences that end up being very fun. Now what is that game I'm thinking of? Hm...

What a great title to spend your first post on!
biggrin.gif
(Welcome, by the way.)

Unirally is sadly lesser-known than it deserves to be, partly because of a lawsuit from Pixar, which halted the production of the game. Apparently they thought that they owned the rights to all CGI unicycles - and won. As a result, the game was limited to a production run of only 300,000, and no more.
sad.gif
Wait, what?! So... If it's a CGI unicycle, it belongs to Pixar 0_o!? Oh crap, I need to go smash my hard drives, I've created CGI coffee mugs, I've seen CGI coffee mugs in Pixar films!!!

EDIT: Also, this:

Uniracers_boxart.png

vs. this:

RedPixar.jpg
I have never had more blisters on my thumbs than when playing Uniracers.

And I can add NHL 94. I don't think I've played any simulation sports game more since that game.

hmm, i had a uniracers cart. 300k you say? whats the price on these rarites? i never knew this story, thx for bringing it up, i will have to fire it up on pandora, completely forgot that i owned that game, now i wonder why i had it anyway....what made me buy that game?

My list of ones that i thought were really good but haven't been said include

Bubsy - kind of the answer to sonic on the snes

Lost vikings - Puzzle Platform game on genesis too but worked way better on snes (shoulder Buttons What up)

Fifa 95 I think the one with 5 a side

Cannon Fodder - Army game haven't tried it on the pandora yet but used to love it

Earthworm Jim - was an awesome cow launching platformer

The NHL games - Mostly because you could throw down in them isn't that the reason American's & Canadians like hockey

Shaq Fu - Jokes that game sucks worse than a dyson

Super Punch out - C'mon gotta love this game

Zero the Kamakaze Squirrel - was a pretty cool platformer from what I remember have't played since I was a kid(I spent some pocket money on hiring this one out)

hmm, i had a uniracers cart. 300k you say? whats the price on these rarites? i never knew this story, thx for bringing it up, i will have to fire it up on pandora, completely forgot that i owned that game, now i wonder why i had it anyway....what made me buy that game?
0_o

Fate, that's what.

shoot'em up :

- super aleste

- axelay (but a bit too easy and short)

- super r-type

but for shmups, i would say the queen console was the neo-geo with view point (hard) and last resort !

maaaaaan, i'm dying to get this pandora...
smile.gif

Mac
Yeah my type of gamer take it super aleste was space megaforce axelay brill game axelay 2 konami? rtype3 nightmare difficulty and you are right neogeo all the way for shmups ghost pilots pulstar blazing star i could go on.

Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World: Includes the original Super Mario All-Stars AND an IMPROVED version of Super Mario World (namely, Luigi actually has his own graphics).

Star Fox is great, but a certain other SNES game that has the number "2" in its title is even better. It was supposed to be a sequel to another great SNES game that was released before, but it had quite significant gameplay differences that end up being very fun. Now what is that game I'm thinking of? Hm...

Ah, of course! Now I remember! It was right in my face, too! I mentioned the game that came before it right before I brought up the game I was talking about!

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. Yup, the game I was thinking of was Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and NOT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pda2jBcUBWg, which I've never played in my life as it's impossible to play that game legally, having never had an official release. It's illegal to download Star Fox 2 and you should NOT search the internet for ROM images and then apply this patch to it in order to have a fully playable version in English.

Ah, of course! Now I remember! It was right in my face, too! I mentioned the game that came before it right before I brought up the game I was talking about!

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. Yup, the game I was thinking of was Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and NOT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pda2jBcUBWg, which I've never played in my life as it's impossible to play that game legally, having never had an official release. It's illegal to download Star Fox 2 and you should NOT search the internet for ROM images and then apply this patch to it in order to have a fully playable version in English.
Wow, I will certainly be playing that game soon. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, that is.

^ There are some competition carts that sell for tens of thousands. (because you could count the number produced on one hand). I've forgotten what the most expensive one was, though.

for my snes I had killer instinct, donkey kong country 1 and 3 they were my RARE games, dont know how "rare" they are now though.

I only have 2 "actual" snes games to my name right now they are:

zelda: a link to the past

super probotector (contr3 but with robots)

both boxed and complete :) in great condition.

I will try to add more to my collection by the end of the year.

^ There are some competition carts that sell for tens of thousands. (because you could count the number produced on one hand). I've forgotten what the most expensive one was, though.
I've found what would have to be the rarest SNES game (assuming that the website is correct) simply because there is only one in existence -several more were made, but all others were destroyed here.

As for the rarest retail game, I have no idea.

Back