Best Spectrum Games

Tickles

I loved my Spectrum(s). Here's a few I remember off the top of my head:

Batman The Movie

A good movie conversion, a bit of a rarity.

batman_themovie-11.gif

Robocop

Ok maybe not that rare

robocop1.png

The Dizzy Games

Fantastic platform puzzlers

dizzy_3_small.gif

Jetset Willy

Platformer

JetSetWilly.png

Edit: added screenshots

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooh 3D Death Chase :D

3D_Deathchase_screen.gif

Operation Wolf

Shooting gallery style game, best played with the lightgun

OperationWolf.png

Green Beret

Side scrolling beat 'em up

sinclair_spectrum_greenberet.jpg

Spy Hunter

Driving game, James Bond style

spyhunter.jpg

Edit: added screenshots

Target Renegade, Wizball, Hydrofool, Where time stood still, (sorry for the oddness but...) jet set willy 2!, chuckie egg 2, gunship, starglider, zub, championship sprint, kickstart 2 and last but never least.. Ghostbusters

Barbarian

One on one fighting game, includes decapitation move!

barbarian2.gif

Spy Vs Spy

One on one trap setting, great in 2 player

spy_vs_spy_spectrum.gif

Ikari Warriors

Top down shoot 'em up

Ikari_Warriors.gif

Howard The Duck

I know lots will disagree, but I loved the movie and the game

I used to like some of the old budget games on labels such as Firebird and Mastertronic. I had started work by the time I bought a speccy and a little newsagent on the way back from the tram (electric not horse-drawn..I'm not that old!) started to sell the cheap speccy games for £2.99. I ended up with quite a collection as I used to pop in and buy maybe 2 or 3 a week. I should still have most of them.

I used to be addicted to this trading game which I can't for the life of me remember what it was. It was very simple, you had a ship, bought different goods and sailed from port to port very much like DrugWars. Every so often you would either hit a storm or attacked by pirates.

Anyway - Ghostbusters. Big tick there Mosschops. Panik - Bombjack a definite. My list - one of my all time faves - Flying Shark. Fruit Machine Simulator and also BMX Simulator. [edit] How can I forget ATV Simulator and Joe Blade :-0

Batman was pretty decent, as was Robocop. I had the CPC versions. The Untouchables was also a nice movie tie in for its day with lots of varied gameplay styles. Target Renegade was the Final Fight of yesteryear.

I always liked the Heavy on the Magik game too, which I was under the impression was the first animated adventure game. Nice dark storyline.

Chaos

herbert's dummy run

pyjamarama

Finders keepers

Knight tyme

Spellbound

Dr what

Jack the nipper

Saboteur

Sweevo's world

Knight lore

Lords of chaos

Rebelstar 2

What is wrong with you people???

Skool daze - Cause havok in school by shooting teachers with your peashooter, setting off fire alarms, writing swearwords on the blackboards and skipping class :)

yr12_27a.gif

Back 2 Skool - More of the same, only this time i think you could cross to the girls school...

backtoskool.gif

Park Patrol - Can't remember what you need to do, I just remember playing it for days...

parkpatrol.png

Jetpac - Build your space shuttle and fuel it up again while shooting the crap out of everything with your multi colour lasers :)

Jetpac.gif

Rockstar ate my Hamster - Create a band, make a single and try to make it to number one in the charts.

RSAMH_Spec.png

Emlyn Hughes International Soccer - The best football game on the Speccy bar NONE. Fantastic in two player mode :)

spectrum_goal(thumb).png

Striker - Can't find a screenshot of this, but it was a football management game where you also controlled only the striker in the team. One of my all time favorites.

Chase HQ - I spent many many hours on this. Not as good as the arcade or other versions, but a great port anyway :)

ZX_Spectrum_Chase_HQ.png

The Great Escape - Play as a POW in a nazi prison camp. Try to escape by sneeking out at night and avoiding the searchlights, finding hidden tunnels, and stealing objects without the guards catching you. Don't forget to turn up for rollcall every morning ;)

great+escape.png
great2_t.png
the_great_escape.png
gescape-02.gif

I used to be addicted to this trading game which I can't for the life of me remember what it was. It was very simple, you had a ship, bought different goods and sailed from port to port very much like DrugWars. Every so often you would either hit a storm or attacked by pirates.

That would probably be "Tai-Pan", which had very nice music on the 128k and whose tape loader was a bugger to emulate correctly - caused me no end of headaches, that one - until I found a decent dump of it and realised that it had been "dumped" by the old RamSoft tool (MakeTZX) which cut out pause blocks and decryption tones because their emulator didn't need them...

D.

^ Was there even a Spectrum version of Park Patrol? I was of the impression it was a C64-only title (and the screenshot here is from that). :blink:

(And don't forget about rescuing swimmers and repelling snakes... And you had to be really good if you could manage to go log-rolling.)

Worse things happen at sea.

Unbelievably addictive strategy/puzzle game where you play a robot plugging holes aboard a ship that mustn't sink :lol:

Awesome game - one of my fave speccy titles B)

Kokotoni Wilf - I saw a screen shot of this in Retro Gamer (I think) a couple of months back and it looked very familiar. I just tried it out on the Pandora and the memories came flooding back - I used to love this game! It seems a lot easier than I remember, but that's probably due to being able to use the Pandora's mighty fine controls rather than the Speccy's keyboard :p

Basically you fly around collecting stars (one per screen) while avoiding dinosaurs and loads of other things out to kill you. IIRC each level takes you to a different period in history. Very simple but a lot of fun.

Thumb_Kokotoni_Wilf_-_1984_-_Elite_Systems_Ltd..jpg

Back