Best SNES games

Sure, but the more people add titles, the more a "glance" won't be enough.

My "problem" with the duplicates is that from what I understood these forums were supposed to be the entry level for people willing to discover the Pandora and its whereabouts.

What a chore to dig through a "list" of the same titles.

Yes that means said games are really the best, but then maybe we need a "best of the best games" ? :rolleyes:

While I agree that opinions are important, I'm still pondering on the interest of making a thread (or post) that would gather the "must play" titles...

Of course, one could argue that there was so many titles that it may quicker to list the crappy games... not sure about that though :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

My "problem" with the duplicates is that from what I understood these forums were supposed to be the entry level for people willing to discover the Pandora and its whereabouts.

Yes that means said games are really the best, but then maybe we need a "best of the best games" ? :rolleyes:

While I agree that opinions are important, I'm still pondering on the interest of making a thread (or post) that would gather the "must play" titles...

Of course, one could argue that there was so many titles that it may quicker to list the crappy games... not sure about that though :lol:
I'm all for people putting "WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT TOUCH THE FOLLOWING GAME because..." at the start of their post :p

In general, I would think that the best of the best would get mentioned within the first page of posts anyway. After that it's likely to be hidden gems, and with those it's probably better for them to be backed up or dismissed by others. After all, one man's trash is another man's treasure :)

I have a new one to add, which I've discovered in the time since I wrote the recommendations that I pasted in at the start of this thread.

Shin Nekketsu Kouha: Kunio-tachi no Banka - Brawler - Scrap-happy Kunio-kun (who many outside of Japan might better know as "Alex" from River City Ransom on the NES) has been framed for a hit-and-run motorcycle accident that he didn't commit, and sent to jail! In this follow-up to the arcade game Nekketsu Kouha - Kunio-kun (which is believed to be the originator of the side-scrolling brawler genre, and which was overhauled into something completely different and released in the West as Renegade), Kunio has to escape from prison, track down the imposter who's sullied his name, bring him to justice, and set the world to rights again. This game is quite text-heavy, so if you can't read Japanese, AGTP's English translation patch will make the game far more enjoyable.

Wild guns

Wildguns4.png

Awesome shooter similar to Cabal but with a mecha-western theme.

If from now on everyone posted his/her games in a specific layout, we could simply collect the upcoming games using an automated script, semi-automatically cleaning out duplicates. Like so (you may copy this):

Code:
[list]
[*][b]Game Title[/b] Description goes here, along with pictures, videos

or whatever you feel like putting here.

[*][b]Game number two[/b]

With another description, this time below the game's title (which

doesn't matter for automatic extraction via scripts). The game title

can be automatically found by a script using the [ b ]/[ / b ]-tags

behind a [ * ] (which will translate to retrievable elements in

the post's HTML).

[*][b]A Third Example Game - PAL Edition[/b] Also, this would give all

posts a cleaner look, since their layout would be based on a base

structure shared by all posts.

[/list]

Which would translate to (manual line breaks removed from example, I put them in so you don't have to scroll horizontally within the code box):

• Game Title Description goes here, along with pictures, videos or whatever you feel like putting here.
  • Game number two
    With another description, this time below the game's title (which doesn't matter for automatic extraction via scripts). The game title can be automatically found by a script using the [ b ]/[ / b ]-tags behind a [ * ] (which will translate to retrievable elements in the post's HTML).
  • A Third Example Game - PAL Edition Also, this would give all posts a cleaner look, since their layout would be based on a base structure shared by all posts.

Ideally, the ones who already posted would edit their posts accordingly. This way, we'd still have the game discussions, but automatically also have a nice and short list to go with them.

Just a thought.

edit-03aug2010-0133GMT+2: Maybe a mod should put the posts around this conversation into "The system specific game recommendation thread list.", I think they'd be more useful there.

Wishful thinking Christoph.Krn, but there's loads of people on the net that don't like to follow "rules", even if it's for helping people like them.

Or they don't care.

Or just don't notice.

Regarding the formatting you propose, and since we're still in a daydreaming state, using the spoiler tags (which I don't see as I'm editing... did I miss something ?) might be a better (read: cleaner) idea for embedding videos and maybe long description, as the result would be one-liners (which improve readability).

I especially recommend the previously mentioned

Chrono Trigger

Rockman & Forte (english only through fan-translation)

Seiken Densetsu 3 (english only through fan-translation)

PS. Regarding the Mana series:

Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden == Final Fantasy Adventure / Mystic Quest (GB)

Seiken Densetsu 2 == Secret of Mana (SNES)

Seiken Densetsu 3 == unofficially "Secret of Mana 2" (SNES)

Seiken Densetsu 4 == Dawn of Mana (PS2)

There are three (plus one mobile phone game?) Seiken Densetsu games between SD3 and SD4, but they weren't given a number.

And don't confuse Mystic Quest (GB) with Final Fantasy Mystic Quest / Mystic Quest Legend (SNES).

PSS. Regarding the dublicates: it helps to comprehend what games most people like. Otherwise every game would get only one recommendation. But it could help to separately list games already mentioned and games not yet mentioned. And bolding the game name helps a lot on readability.

animaniacs-fun warner bros game

tiny toons adventures-read above

super punch out-a sequel to a classic, the best fight night can never beat punch out series

lion king-surprisingly fun game

battle toads & double dragons-not many better multiplayer beatemups

and how the hell did everyone forget killer instinct?

of course all the mega man, all the mortal kombat, street fighters, contras, and mario games dont even need mention

My turn :)

I will avoid the obvious choices as they have already been mentioned.

Olympic Summer Games - I think only Athlete Kings on the Saturn beats this. By far the best athletics game on any of the 16bit systems.

Olympic%20Summer%20Games%20Atlanta%2096-2.png
Olympic_Summer_Games_SNES_ScreenShot3.jpg
Olympic_Summer_Games_SNES_ScreenShot4.jpg

Kikikaikai Ninja aka Pocky & Rocky

pockysfc-1.png

Great & despite appearances quite difficult shooter.

Contra 3 - shoot em' up platformer that has a lot of varying gameplay, such as taking control of a tank, hopping over fire pits, killing giant wall scaling robots, riding on a motor cycle while gunning down a spaceship, view changes (3rd person, overhead, first person), etc. An amazing game.

Mortal Kombat 3 Ultimate - fighting packed with a lot of characters, violent fatality moves, and combo attacks :D

I wont even say megaman, you must know.

Street Fighter 2 Ultimate/Super Street Fighter 2 - Similar style to mortal kombat. Minus the brutal fatalities and blood, great game none the less!

Fzero - amazing racing game, reaching up to max speed of 500mph i think it is.

Super Mario Land - does it even need an explanation?

Game Genie - allows you to cheat with games. Not sure if that will work however.

I've got another one: Mystical Ninja very funny action game that alternates between isometric view in-town levels and sidescrolling jump'n'run levels as you play along. Love the design, music and sound effects. Features simultaneous two-player coop action for even more fun.

MysticalNinja1.jpg
legend%20of%20the%20mystical%20ninja,%20the.jpg

Most have been mentioned already, such as:

Super Mario Allstars (for all the classic Mario goodness you can shake a pipe at)

Yoshi's Island (brilliant, and much better visually than the reiterations on later platforms)

Chrono Trigger (still the best console RPG ever, on any platform, IMHO)

Rock'n'Roll Racing and The Lost Vikings (to remember that Blizzard did make great games even before Warcraft)

Donkey Kong Country series (for outstanding graphics and humour)

but also being a classic-era LucasArts fan, I'll go ahead and throw in a few rarely mentioned ones:

Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Ghoul Patrol, Metal Warriors

Apart from the greats e.g Super Mario (most iterations), SF2 Turbo, Super Metroid, here's a few of my faves.

• Plok! A platformer with great characters and limb throwing action, looks are terrific.
  • R-Type3 A sideways shoot-em-up, great weapons and smooth action.
  • Super SWIV An upwards shoot-em-up with choice of either tank or helicopter.
  • Zoop An action puzzle game by zapping colour encroaching blobs, but zapper changes colour too depending on the following colour blob, fun for quick blasts. Should have warning "long play may cause brain-haemorrhaging".
  • Hebereke's Popoon A puzzle game similar to super puyo puyo but with better characters and sounds too.

Back