Best SNES games

shoot'em up :

- super aleste

- axelay (but a bit too easy and short)

- super r-type

but for shmups, i would say the queen console was the neo-geo with view point (hard) and last resort !

maaaaaan, i'm dying to get this pandora... :)

Mac

no love for Super Metroid? loved that game sooo hard!

just completed legend of zelda a link to the past which was also fantastic and i'm probably a little over half way through chrono trigger which is also awesome!

Only the version with the players' guide included did. :p There's also a giant-box version of at least Donkey Kong Country 2, as well.

Smash TV - Great arcade conversion of a hectic top down shooter

Due to its button layout, the SNES was the first home version that could really translate this game well. Amiga and C64 were good, but really not the same IMHO.

Due to its button layout, the SNES was the first home version that could really translate this game well. Amiga and C64 were good, but really not the same IMHO.
Absolutely. It's being able to shoot in any direction while you run in any direction that makes it great. That and the game show host voice: "BIG money, BIG prizes, I LOVE IT!" :D

Super Turrican, which I recently discovered, is the SNES version of the Amiga game 'Turrican 2' only with a different first level. It's very good and interesting to try if you like the Amiga version as if anything they have made it harder.

Sorry, but that's just wrong. Surely the SNES version is inspired by Turrican 1 & 2, but Super Turrican doesn't contain any level of Turrican 2.

Sanrio World Smash Ball.

Dont be fooled by the childish "hello kitty" graphics, simple controls and lack of save function. This is one of the best tennis/pong games on any 16-bit system!

Cameltry AKA on the Ball.

Your marble is stuck in a maze. By rotating the maze left or right, your marble falls toward its goal. Frantic music, fast gameplay, no storyline. Its a gravity racing game with mode7 graphics. A must-have.

Oh, and i have the word F-ZERO tattooed on both my arms. 'Nuff said.

• Area 88 / U.N. Squadron (Shoot'em up): You choose between three pilots with different abilities and fly your jet fighter and beat the bad guys. You get money from shooting down enemies and finishing missions then use it to buy more weapons/new aircraft. Excellent music too.
  • Metal Warriors (Platforming/action game): Pilot your mech and complete single player mission, possibly getting off it and climbing into other mechs that are "parked" around. Very interesting gameplay, each mech is different, from humanoid to one spider-like. Then theres the 2 player versus mode, I can remember countless hour of fun battling my friends/brother in it.
  • Super Double Dragon (Beat'em up): One very cool example of this game genre. Plenty of different techniques to punish your enemies. For instance, blocking their punches, grabbing their arm in the process, then kick them in the face ... repeatedly. Wide variety of scenarios and great music.
  • Top Gear 3000 (Racing): The pinnacle of this racing series. Large number of upgrades available for purchase for your car (they unlock as you progress thru the races). From electric to fusion engines, from nitro to teleporters. Very, very, very fast gameplay. Specially once you get those upgraded nitro systems.

That's what I can remember for now.

• F-Zero - Racing in hovercrafts, what's not to love?

• Super Mario Kart - Probably one of the better racing games in the history of the 2-D console

• Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island - Probably the best looking and one of the most fun games on the SNES

• Super Metroid - Puzzles, shooting things, what's not to like?

• Super Turrican - Very difficult side-scroller shooter.

• The Donkey kong country games - These were some of the better looking games on the SNES, and are pretty fun.

• Final Fantasy 6 - My all-time favorite final fantasy game. One of my all-time favorite games period. The story is engaging, there are TONS of characters. They all have their own unique back story, personal flaws, and personality - Making this game one of the best games I've encountered on any system, ever.

• Final Fantasy 5 - While not as good as Final Fantasy 6, Final fantasy 5 is more directed at those players that like to grind to gain levels and skills. It's more about combat and less about story, though the story itself is still rather good.

• Chrono Trigger - It has a great story, the battle system works well, and it reminds me of Final Fantasy 6 - What's not to like?

• Sim City 2000 - It's not as smooth as the PC version of the game, but it was still fun to play. Building a city, watching it flourish, making political decisions, and then pressing a button and having the whole thing destroyed.

• Front Mission - Amazing strategy game. Build your own mechs, replace body parts, arms, legs, jetpacks, onboard computers. A great game with a great story. A must for strategy Fans.

• The fire emblem games - Another set of games that didn't get released outside of japan. These games are probably some of the best strategy games you can get your hands on.

• Super Street fighter II turbo - The arcade classic. The SNES was really the only place it felt at home and it's controller feels like it was designed for this game.

• Secret of Mana - An action RPG - It's good. Play it.

• Metal Warriors - This game sort of reminds me in some small way of blaster master.

• The Legend of Zelda: A link to the past - Top-down action-adventure game with RPG elements. If you haven't played a zelda game, stop what you're doing and go play one. This game has tons to do, an open world, and interesting story, and great graphics. Although I've never figured out why link sports pink hair in this installment in the series.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Castlevania Dracula X/Vampire's kiss - not as good as Rondo of blood, the PC-Engine game it was a remake (or shabby port?) of.
  • Zombies Ate my Neighbors - Best concept and music ever, tons of levels, totally goofy.

Time for my SNES Recommendation list! (Lifted from the ol' GP32x Boards)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/AGQLFSnAeZQ?feature=oembed - RPG/Adventure - The other game I'm going to talk about that I don't own, (Mostly because I've been too lazy to just get up and make the money to get it) This game was created by Square and is the predecessor to the popular Paper Mario series. This game is a bit different in that it uses an isometric view rather than a top-down one, but this doesn't hinder the story or gameplay, which is good. It begins with Mario actually nearing the end of his journey. He saves peach - but than, something falls from the sky and destroys Bowser's castle. What is it? Well, you'll have to play to find out. If you like this one, you'll also like The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naD6mNeHIsE - Platformer - Also known as Super Mario Bros. 4, this is THE Mario game for the Super Nintendo. Like Donkey Kong Country, this game contains a lot of secrets and levels that will really keep you busy. Heck, it's even got a percent value, driving you to madness until you finally give in and push to reach that seemingly impossible goal. If you like this, you'll also like Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKf3sX9mGq0 - Platformer - This one really tries to make itself something new without imposing something against the Mario formula, and it works. In this one, Mario is a Baby which Yoshi takes responsibility for to return him to his home. Too bad that, even at an extremely young age, Bowser is still as much of an annoying, selfish brat as ever. The game uses a type of clock as health - When your hit, Mario falls off and floats around in a bubble, waiting to be freed by you. Every second he's in that bubble, one second is taken from the timer. It starts at 10 and will replenish if the timer gets lower than that, but it can go up to 30. This makes the game interesting, because if you want 100%, you have to go without damage. Like the Man and Ape before it, there's a lot of secrets hidden that need to be found. Another really good platformer. :)

Oh, and if you like this one you might also like the Donkey Kong Country series! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if there's a particular goal for those topics, but even if the OP is not updated with the titles given, it might be a good idea to check if the title(s) you plan on adding hasn't be listed already.

I should probably help readability a bit...

That goes for other similar threads as well, but I can only try to change the world one thread at a time.

Some other good games that weren't released in America (most not released in English) but are available in English now:

- Rudra no Hihou

- Live a Live

- Emerald Dragon

- Star Ocean

- Romancing SaGa 1-3

- Terranigma

And some that were:

- Lufia 1-2

- The 4 Super Bomberman games after the first one

I don't know if there's a particular goal for those topics, but even if the OP is not updated with the titles given, it might be a good idea to check if the title(s) you plan on adding hasn't be listed already.

I should probably help readability a bit...

That goes for other similar threads as well, but I can only try to change the world one thread at a time.
The way I see it is these threads are great when you want to try some new games on a system and get some personal recommendations. As long as you can tell at a glance which title is being talked about I have no problem with duplicates: I like hearing peoples opinions and memories of games :)

Back