Best Acorn BBC MICRO games

- Andriod (my favourite of the bunch, but I can't find any info on it - might have to dig out the old 5 1/4 disk. There are two other games out there called android, but they're not it).
hey, did you have any luck saving that Android game vadsamoht?

OK, I am confused.

I ran Beebem...it did not create an appdata folder.  Where do you put the .img and .ssd files?
ahh! your in the same boat as me regarding the beebem directory in appdata not appearing..

You can put the .ssd`s anywhere.. you can browse to them from within the emulator.

When sswam fixes the appdata dir thing, this will also fix the emulator remembering your games directory ( because a config file is written ) but it`s not sticking because of the appdata\beebem directory not getting created!

Here are some screenshots of some of the best BBC Micro games, which I collected in a fit of insanity:

aviator.gif

bmxonthemoon.png

boffin.gif

bonecruncher.gif

castlequest.gif

cholo.jpg

chuckieegg.gif

citadel.png

clogger.gif

codenamedroid.gif

contraption.png

crazeerider.png

crazypainter.gif

cybertronmission.png

daredevildenis.png

deathstar.png

despatchrider.gif

dinosaurdiscovery.png

dunjunz.gif

elexir.png

elite.png

exile.gif

firetrack.png

frak.gif

freefall.png

futureshock.gif

galaforce.jpg

grannysgarden.gif

holedout.gif

hunchback.gif

imogen.gif

killergorilla.png

knightlore.gif

l.jpg

lordsoftime.png

magicmushrooms.gif

meteors.gif

mree.gif

palaceofmagic.png

pinballarcade.gif

planb.png

planetoid.gif

psycastria.png

qbert.gif

ravenskull.jpg

repton.gif

repton3.gif

revs.png

ricochet.gif

rocketraid.gif

sabrewulf.gif

savagepond.gif

snapper.gif

spacepilot.png

starshipcommand.png

strykersrun.gif

superiorsoccer.jpg

thesentinel.png

thrust.png

thunderstruck.gif

twinkingdomvalley.gif

vortex.gif

winterolympiad.gif

wizadore.png

wizzysmansion.gif

xor.gif

zalaga.gif

Avaitor, BMX On The Moon, Boffin, Bonecruncher, Castle Quest, Cholo, Chuckie Egg, Citadel, Clogger, Codename Droid, Colorspace, Contraption, Crazee Rider, Crazy Painter, Cybertron Mission, Daredevil Dennis, Deathstar, Despatch Rider, Dinosaur Discovery, Dragon World, Dread Dragon Droom, Dunjunz, Elite, Elixir, Exile, Firetrack, Flowers Of Crystal, Frak, Freefall, Future Shock, Galaforce, Grannies Garden, Harvey Headbanger, Holed Out, Hunchback, Imogen, Inertia, Killer Gorilla, Knightlore, L (Mathematical Adventure), Labyrinthe, Lords Of Time, Magic Mushrooms, Meteors, Monsters, Mr EE, Palace Of Magic, Pinball Arcade, Plan B, Planetoid, Powerplay, Psycastria, Q*Bert, Ravenskull, Repton, Repton 3, Revs, Ricochet, Rocket Raid, Sabre Wulf, Savage Pond, Sentinel, Shylock Gnomes, Snapper, Space Pilot, Starship Command, Strykers Run, Summer Olympiad, Superior Soccer, Through The Dragon's Eye, Thrust, Thunderstruck, Twin Kingdom Valley, Winter Olympiad, Vortex, Wizadore, Wizzy's Mansion, Xor, Zalaga

My "hi res" beeb game gallery is here:  https://pandoria.org/gallery/beeb-pix/

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I am confused.

I ran Beebem...it did not create an appdata folder.  Where do you put the .img and .ssd files?
ahh! your in the same boat as me regarding the beebem directory in appdata not appearing..

You can put the .ssd`s anywhere.. you can browse to them from within the emulator.

When sswam fixes the appdata dir thing, this will also fix the emulator remembering your games directory ( because a config file is written ) but it`s not sticking because of the appdata\beebem directory not getting created!
All right...so where do I then put the IMG files??

Are you telling me playing an .ssd game will then create a right folder for me or what?

No it won't create the beebem dir in appdata. DREDD needs to fix that...

Don't think beebem understands .img files

No it won't create the beebem dir in appdata. DREDD needs to fix that... Don't think beebem understands .img files
So how are peeps getting ing files to play then?

A lot of the stuff on the BBC page, that peeps say they have working...are freaking .img files!

Yup...it only recognizes my .ssd files.

What's up with the .img files?

I`ve never had any luck with them.. maybe the more polished windows emu plays them..

I think .img files can be converted to single sided disk images, but I never had any luck with them..

I got a few working, is there any way to change the key mapping on some of these games??

One wants you to use CAPS LOCK for moving left...just TRY and do that one on a Pandy!!

Yes, press "start" then choose the menu item about configure buttons, you can rebind the Pandora D-pad and A B X Y buttons

Beebem only works with SSD, DSD and ROM files (I have not tested ROMs yet).

It does not work with IMG files.

There are like more than 1500 SSD and DSD files online, for just about every game you can think of.  Also there are one or more happy Things on the internet (Google is your friend)  Also I am a famous pirate.  Yaar!

Thanks, DREDD.

I modded your post up above a bit, just because I knew what you were getting at, and didn't want to have you get modded by someone else on this one.

How the heck do I get it to go to the D-Pad though?!?!?  It only lets you pick characters on the darn keyboard...doesn't let you select the D-Pad!!

Thanks, DREDD.

I modded your post up above a bit, just because I knew what you were getting at, and didn't want to have you get modded by someone else on this one.

How the heck do I get it to go to the D-Pad though?!?!?  It only lets you pick characters on the darn keyboard...doesn't let you select the D-Pad!!
Huh?

right... 

Load your game.

See what keys do what ( ie Z-left X-right SPACE-fire )

Press start and click on 'Configure game buttons'

You see the Pandora controls ( Dpad left right up and down, and X Y A and B , also L, R and Select ) 

Click just under where it says LEFT and choose a key on the BBC keyboard ( that pops up ) 

In our example we click on Z

etc etc..

Not that hard...   :)

Thanks, DREDD.

Huh?
 right... 

Load your game.

See what keys do what ( ie Z-left X-right SPACE-fire )

Press start and click on 'Configure game buttons'

You see the Pandora controls ( Dpad left right up and down, and X Y A and B , also L, R and Select ) 

Click just under where it says LEFT and choose a key on the BBC keyboard ( that pops up ) 

In our example we click on Z

etc etc..

Not that hard...   :)
no I GOT THAT!!!

What I want is to set the god damn controls to the D-PAD!!

All I can do is set them to other characters on the goddamn keyboard!!

I want to make LEFT be a push to the left on the D-PAD...now can THAT be done, and HOW!!!

SOME games work right with the damn D-Pad...others have totally horrible, crappy controls and don't work WITH THE D-PAD...WHICH IS WHAT I AM WANTING.

Understand now?

Calm down there...

I`ve pm`d you with an explicit explanation. If you can`t follow that, don`t back in there with your shouty shouty!

It works, it`s easy to figure out..

OK, I'll look and try it...this is just really annoying me....because when I click on the "LEFT" directional choice, it just brings up a virtual keyboard....and the D-Pad moves you around on that keyboard to select something...it does NOT give you a choice to JUST USE THE D-PAD for the control.

At least not in any way readily easily seen.

OK....I got it working now.  The game-button-mapping is NOT quite clear on how you do it...not quite user-friendly in this way:

What I was getting...I thought that, by, for example, pressing "Z" on the virtual Keyboard...would make the Z key the key that moves left...when in fact the "LEFT" that was being mapped was the left press on the D-Pad...mapping it to that key...so that the emu would interpret the left press of the D-Pad to be that key....so that the game now works with the D-Pad...this was NOT very clear!!

Congratulations on figuring it out, it's part of the fun!  (glad it wasn't a bug, anyway)

What game/s are you playing?

Well, right now I am trying out all different ones, and then I will decide which ones I want to actually keep.

I got a mess of .ssd files, I won't say how.

Arrrrrrrr!!!

I am enjoying this.  This definitely has the feel of something like Atari 2600 - where you really had to use your imagination and stuff...the really old old old type stuff.

OK, admittedly, some of them are not so good...for example, "Digger" which is their excuse for DigDug....you can only "pump" left or right, but not up or down....so you have to be across from what you want to blow up....you can only pump your air pump in a horizontal direction, not vertical....which kinda makes the game unplayable.

And it's not a problem with the controls...it's the game, the graphic just won't orient itself to allow vertical pumping. (oh, god, just realized what that sounded like...)

Back