Bbc Micro: Your Top 5

rooster

Website
Visit site
With the release of Beebem2x I'm getting back into a lot of the old BBC titles on my GP2X naturally..
What I want to know is... If you had an BBC/Electron back in the day,

What are your top 5 BBC/Electron games of all time???

If I may start the ball rolling:

1. Drain Mania (Icon)
2. Chuckie Egg (A&F)
3. Imogen (Micro Power/Superior)
4. Citadel (Superior)
5. The Cube Of Zoth (Disk User)

god that was difficult to compile! how can I choose between my loved ones like this?

Controversial choices? - no Elite, Exile or Revs there!? Tell me how this chart should look! I based mine on hours played over a lifetime!

Hopefully this thread will lead to the discovery of some buried ancient treasures ;)

Oooo - tricky...

1) Freefall (Acornsoft) - way ahead of it's time
2) Chuckie Egg (A & F) - oh so playable
3) Exile (Superior) - simply awesome
4) Revs (Acornsoft) - leaps ahead of everything else when it came out
5) Cholo (Firebird) - very atmospheric considering the graphics
6) Dunjunz (Bug Byte) - played it with a friend for months, but never completed it

Sorry - couldn't limit it to 5. I could go on and on though...

Based on how long I played them:

Drain Mania too (and not just because you reminded me of it - I played it the other day)
Thrust
Codename: Droid
Ghouls
Starship Command

Every time I think of a list like this it has different stuff on it, though. So many games I found awe-inspiring, so short a childhood....

I never had one myself (they were for posh kids) but a friend of mine brought hers to to my place in the 90's and we got really into:
1) Chuckie Egg
2) Monopoly
3) Hyper Sports

I have played Elite since which is obviously brilliant, but the Spectrum and GBA versions are still my favourates.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Mar 8 2007 at 08:13 PM said:
halo9 posted on Mar 8 2007 at 07:35 PM said:
Gotta love Frak!
:D
Agreed, I loved playing Frak :)

I could I have forgotten Frak (especially the rude version :)) ? The graphics were incredible.

I liked Contraption too

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just about to mention the same game. Those spiders terrified me!

I'll put Exile at the very top, although the Repton games kept me at my keyboard the longest. Crazee Rider was good fun too.

1. Elite (Surprised no-one has mentioned that yet.)
2. Repton (& sequels)
3. Mr. Ee.
4. Chuckie Egg.
5. Arcadians.

I never played Exile on the BBC. I did think it was excellent on the Amiga, some years later.

1 Elite
2 Citadel
3 Repton (all of them if I'm allowed - 2 otherwise)
4 MrWiz (I like it! :))
5 Thrust

@ Parkydr: Frak: Hail to the rude version! :)

@ Stainy: Dare Devil Denis: Noooooooo! Make it go away! :)

I have to admit, I never understood why so many people loved DDD.

As for Mr Wiz - I'll never forget how disappointed I was the first time I 'threw' the crystal ball and it didn't bounce off all round the maze. Luckily Mr Ee came along a bit later...

The real draw of Dare Devil Dennis was going as fast as you possibly could without screwing up the level.
When you became adept you could just sail through screens at full speed, barely touching the floor with your motorbike/jetski/skis. So it was really about showing off in front of people who crashed on every obstacle, if you knew what you were doing you could really flaunt it like Colt Seavers while your mate would just have to sit there like Howie. If you didn't watch The Fall Guy, ignore the strange names and read on.

Mr EE is an almost arcade perfect Mr Do minus the cut-scenes and is probably my #6.

Felix In The Factory was class, I've had many happy moments dropping the rat poison and snagging the big white rat, or lancing the baddies with the pitchfork. Gets too hard too quickly though.

Sorry for being OT, but I considered adding a game to my list but I didn't know the name...

It was mostly monochrome white on black and it was a side view of a cylindrical robot going through a house or factory. ISTR you could interface with computers and stuff. I'm struggling to recall more since it was 20 years ago, but I have a vague recollection there were baddies and you may have been able to shoot them!

Not a lot to go on... <_<

Back