Beautiful landscapes are prettier than portraits

What are your feelings about that development?

• I want the FullHD display, no matter what! It'll look so much better! I don't care about the perform

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • FullHD would've been nice, but with those issues, HalfHD is better. I still would've preferred FullH

Votes: 72 20.8%
  • FullHD is overkill anyways in my opinion. HalfHD is way better suited for a screen that size.

Votes: 139 40.2%
  • CPU performance and easy development are more important than the higher resolution. I'm fine with th

Votes: 208 60.1%
  • I don't really care about the difference between FullHD or HalfHD - it's more important that the gam

Votes: 116 33.5%

• Total voters

Link

Maybe you are right about the size. I was thinking multitasking in general, extra buttons and I thought it would be good for DS emulation.
You couldn't realistically get it to fill up such a big space, I don't think you'd have so much PCB space free underneath and the LCD/touchscreen would have some bezel space.

I was using my Pandora as a reference and Pyra does seem to use smaller nubs, but I'd still give about 1" as an upper limit. Virtual buttons have to be a lot larger than physical ones if you want any hope of not accidentally hitting more than one, I think realistically you could fit maybe two stacked vertically on top of each other. For a mouse touchpad you'd have frustratingly little travel space, even if you use a finger that's not your thumb. Although still far from ideal, I think the nubs would be far preferable for that application. This would be nothing close to a laptop touchpad.

I see what you're thinking for DS emulation, putting the actual bottom screen there, but it's just so tiny. A DSL screen is 2.5" wide, for comparison. A 1x screen you in DraStic (on the main display) would be substantially larger, over 1.5" wide. Your screen would get the benefit of stacking like a DS, but with such a big size difference you lose most of that advantage. I also wonder if anyone's even selling tiny screens that have 256x192 or higher resolution, since the ones I can find top out at around 128x64. And these small displays are probably not designed to be updated at 60Hz, they're probably interfaced with slow SPI connections and may not have very good performance characteristics - the focus would be on keeping power consumption low since they'd typically have been used on the closed side of old flip phones.

It'd be visually neat I think but just not really worth it. A touch display on the other side of the lid would make a little more sense in terms of augmenting functionality but still really hard to justify in cost vs utility analysis.

But I actually think you don't lose much by not emulating start/select buttons there, at least beyond the initial lack of familiarity in naming. Controllers with start/select or similar still put them within travel range of the d-pad or face buttons, but with Pandora/Pyra you have to lift your hand.

I'd rather have real buttons there thanks. :)

It did occur to me though that you could add another three buttons in the same space. With two columns of buttons there you could reach each easier than you can the existing one too.
I'd prefer to have an orientation like this:

[select][start]
[home]
(with some space separating the home to make it look more like a distinct button, and moving the start and select as far to the left and right respectively as the available space allows)
The thing with shoving as many buttons as you can there is it becomes harder to remember which one to press.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was using my Pandora as a reference and Pyra does seem to use smaller nubs, but I'd still give about 1" as an upper limit. Virtual buttons have to be a lot larger than physical ones if you want any hope of not accidentally hitting more than one, I think realistically you could fit maybe two stacked vertically on top of each other. For a mouse touchpad you'd have frustratingly little travel space, even if you use a finger that's not your thumb. Although still far from ideal, I think the nubs would be far preferable for that application. This would be nothing close to a laptop touchpad.
Maybe 1in is the case and you are right, I can't find a regular 1in screen, but for the fun of

it, let's say that this can fit somehow. :p I don't think the true for the buttons. They could

still be the same size without being hit. I never use my thumb for the touchpad on my laptop. :lol:

Seriously tho, I guess I would just have to swipe in place like I sometimes do anyway. Maybe so.

Your screen would get the benefit of stacking like a DS, but with such a big size difference you lose most of that advantage. I also wonder if anyone's even selling tiny screens that have 256x192 or higher resolution, since the ones I can find top out at around 128x64
 Some games I can deal with such a size difference. So far, I don't see anything like that.

It'd be visually neat I think
IKR? :p

I'd prefer to have an orientation like this:

[select][start]
[home]

(with some space separating the home to make it look more like a distinct button, and moving the start and select as far to the left and right respectively as the available space allows)

The thing with shoving as many buttons as you can there is it becomes harder to remember which one to press.
Make sense.

Some games I can deal with such a size difference. So far, I don't see anything like that.
What I'm saying is that if you can live with a tiny screen beneath the main screen you can probably live with a less tiny screen to the side of the main screen, which is what you get normally. You lose the advantage of having them stacked when the sizes are this different.

What I'm saying is that if you can live with a tiny screen beneath the main screen you can probably live with a less tiny screen to the side of the main screen, which is what you get normally. You lose the advantage of having them stacked when the sizes are this different.
My point was, why take up the main screen when you don't have to? That said, I like it more that it's dual screen

not for its practicality. :p

Not that we're actually getting another screen. The screen would probably have to be completely custom made to

be done properly.

DS's screen has an aspect ratio of 4:3. Unless you want to distort the image, it means you'll have space on the screen that you're not using where you can put that second screen. So you're not taking up anything.

DS's screen has an aspect ratio of 4:3. Unless you want to distort the image, it means you'll have space on the screen that you're not using where you can put that second screen. So you're not taking up anything.
I can't picture how that would look on Pyra's screen, but I don't think it would be as bad as youare implying.

one 4:3 image on a 16:9 display looks okay, unless you want to stretch it to fill the entire display.

For 2 images, it gets more complicated, but it's manageable.

big main screen.png

double the trouble.png

sideways.png

stacked.png

I can't picture how that would look on Pyra's screen, but I don't think it would be as bad as youare implying.
You do realize you are arguing with Exophase the person who wrote the Pandora and Android DS emulator Drastic from scratch.. The current modes in the Pandora version work fine.

This is a running gag by now ;)

You do realize you are arguing with Exophase the person who wrote the Pandora and Android DS emulator Drastic from scratch.. The current modes in the Pandora version work fine.

You do realize you are arguing with Exophase the person who wrote the Pandora and Android DS emulator Drastic from scratch.. 
And that has stop me (and others) from arguing with someone about a subject before? :p

Natsu, the problem is that you are full of bad ideas.
O rly? You do realize while I'm trying to come up with these "bad" ideas, you are adding nothing? No input, whatsoever.

* Grabs popcorn* This is gonna be good! Why not two 1080 screens for DS emulation ;)

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

I'm just bothered about the bottom screen of the Drastic DS not being below the top screen, because that makes the special video moments in some DS games where both screens are used together to display something passing across our view of the whole combined display feel less immersive to me.  A funny little detachable screen to stick on top of the current screen also sounds cool because it is so silly though, like those old Gameboy speakers and magnifying glass pictures.  I like having that kind of silly available.

The loss of immersion of the original 3 inch screens is quite the sacrifice. I agree, you don't really get the same sense of presence. You don't quite get the sense that you "are" Mario driving a go kart when the screens are side by side :D

The loss of immersion of the original 3 inch screens is quite the sacrifice. I agree, you don't really get the same sense of presence. You don't quite get the sense that you "are" Mario driving a go kart when the screens are side by side :D
That's why there is a magic button that makes ones of the screens you choose take up the full size of the screen(Well 4:3) and another to swap them.. Drastic works quite well on the Pandora especially with all the screen changing shortcut keys.. Also with Mario Kart the touch screen section of the DS isn't needed at all when racing. Another feature with the TV out cable you can have one of the screens up on the TV and use the LCD as the touch pad screen..

I'm just bothered about the bottom screen of the Drastic DS not being below the top screen, because that makes the special video moments in some DS games where both screens are used together to display something passing across our view of the whole combined display feel less immersive to me. 
The special Luigi battles in the Mario & Luigi games and the two-screen layout in Super Space Invaders require you to set up the screens in Drastic so they are above and below each other.  I'm still waiting for the rotated layout where the screens can still be correctly aligned and bigger - albeit rotated versus the controls.

Back