Beautiful landscapes are prettier than portraits

What are your feelings about that development?

• I want the FullHD display, no matter what! It'll look so much better! I don't care about the perform

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • FullHD would've been nice, but with those issues, HalfHD is better. I still would've preferred FullH

Votes: 72 20.8%
  • FullHD is overkill anyways in my opinion. HalfHD is way better suited for a screen that size.

Votes: 139 40.2%
  • CPU performance and easy development are more important than the higher resolution. I'm fine with th

Votes: 208 60.1%
  • I don't really care about the difference between FullHD or HalfHD - it's more important that the gam

Votes: 116 33.5%

• Total voters

No 1080p version in the works right now (but we can easily upgrade once it becomes available, as it's on the display PCB) and yes, the chip can be completely switched off and bypassed.

I have this weird thought that its possible to recycle displays from old cellphones. There must be a second market for those somewhere.
Pretty sure, but not if you need to get 1000 of exactly the same type and need a guarantee that you can get them for similar prices a year from now.

Are you still looking for another 1080p display or have you gave that up for now?

Are you still looking for another 1080p display or have you gave that up for now?
I seem to recall that he only went for a 1080 display in the first place because he couldn't find anything in a lower resolution that wasn't 800x480.  1080 was a compromise because 720 was not apparently available.  Now that he has a selection of 720 displays to choose from, I can see no reason to consider any other 1080 displays unless the 720 displays turn out to be inadequate.

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
 I seem to recall that he only went for a 1080 display in the first place because he couldn't find anything in a lower resolution that wasn't 800x480.  1080 was a compromise because 720 was not apparently available.  Now that he has a selection of 720 displays to choose from, I can see no reason to consider any other 1080 displays unless the 720 displays turn out to be inadequate.

- Neelix
Well, there's still reason to consider a 1080p display, but I think that Natsu is misunderstanding something here. The reason EvilDragon is considering a 720p display instead of 1080p is not due to bad quality on the one he has. It's because the software on the OMAP was taking too long to do the rotations.

-God Ginrai

^ and because the rotation chip can't handle 1080p (although a future SST product might)

And because the 720p display he's looking at is much cheaper than the very expensive 1080p display...

That's a benefit, but it's not the reason that EvilDragon switched to 720p.
This is the actual progression of what happened:

1) ED chose a 1080p screen because, according to him, he couldn't even source a 720p one

2) Pyra team realized that they don't have good options for rotating the display and found SSL chip which only supports 720p

3) SSL people made them aware that they could in fact get 720p displays

If you look way back to when the board was arguing about 1080p with Craig and Grench you will find ED said that 1080p was pointless. There is nearly zero chance that he now feels like getting one at a big price premium. If he knew he could get them in the first place for much less money he almost certainly would have.

This is the actual progression of what happened:

1) ED chose a 1080p screen because, according to him, he couldn't even source a 720p one

2) Pyra team realized that they don't have good options for rotating the display and found SSL chip which only supports 720p

3) SSL people made them aware that they could in fact get 720p displays

If you look way back to when the board was arguing about 1080p with Craig and Grench you will find ED said that 1080p was pointless. There is nearly zero chance that he now feels like getting one at a big price premium. If he knew he could get them in the first place for much less money he almost certainly would have.
I'm not disputing that. The fact of the matter is, if they hadn't had trouble with the rotation, then EvilDragon would be sticking with 1080p. He only found out about these 720p screens because the people who make the SSL chip, which he researched because of the rotation problem, told him about them.

-God Ginrai

I have no problem with. 720 if anything I prefer it. Its cheaper, gives better performance and let's be honest . We only want 1080 because its 1080. That's the only reason I've seen for it. If the display was ten or thirteen inches I can see the debate, but with a five inch screen? I personally don't see it.

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

We only want 1080 because its 1080.
Isn't that like saying "You only want the Pyra because it's the Pyra"?

-God Ginrai
It is, but nobody is saying "You only want the Pyra because it's the Pyra".  DrHAX's point was that better can stop being better if better is only better due to being better.  Sorry, but they're using the same humor that I use.

Wanting 1080p is a lot like wanting 24-bit audio. Okay, maybe slightly more practical, but same idea. And people are already starting to want 4K screens in phones, which is even crazier.

On my 720p Nexus 4, I have to hold the thing really close (and take off my glasses and close one eye) to really start seeing pixels individually. I have a really hard time looking at this and thinking "man, I could sure use more pixels." Granted, all the stuff I'm looking at doesn't have a lot of aliasing at the pixel level, maybe it'd be more obvious in a game w/o anti-aliasing. But making it render at a higher resolution and pushing that out to the display seems like a big waste. Better to just use SSAA then or better yet something more efficient.

The only reason I could see the 1080p display being justified if it has better performance than its lower resolution competitors in enough other metrics, particularly response time and visibility in sunlight.

Last edited by a moderator:
We only want 1080 because its 1080.
Isn't that like saying "You only want the Pyra because it's the Pyra"?

-God Ginrai
no because there's more reasons to a pyra then numbers I want 1080 because its more then 720 regardless of how small the screen is. There's a point where its arguably pointless.Also most YouTube videos are 720. 720 isn't a compromise the pluses of the small screen and chip far out weigh the pluses of the 1080 screen.

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

no because there's more reasons to a pyra then numbers I want 1080 because its more then 720 regardless of how small the screen is.
But that's you. There may be numerous reasons people would want 1080p instead of 720p. Just because there are more possible reasons to want the Pyra does not mean that people don't have multiple reasons for wanting either of these items. And that's the point.

-God Ginrai

Back