Back from Greece

For the fun of it I gave Blender another whirl to try out some coloring.. Once again a C64C-ish Pyra...
pyra.jpg

That lighter shade seems to be very similar to the original colour of BBC Micros and Acorn Electrons (although these days they've all taken on that browner tint if they've not been retrobrited).

The Vic 20 render looks really good!

Just had a thought on this... Maybe make a, "Special Limited Edition Self Assembled Keymat Test Kit," package?

I figure at this point you likely have a few scrap main boards. Keymats were likely a minimum order quantity = "a lot".
Case plastics set + screws + scrap mainboard + keymat = SLESAKTK

Not to be confused with a Sleestak of course.
I have my own main board, I just need the other stuff.

A build your own Pyra prototype kit using scrap parts and the clear cases would be cool :D
Could even sell them like you sold that final batch of Pandoras with the various damaged bits (and no battery). Mines was the one with the broken BT (though turns out the charge port was also broken and the left nub randomly broke shortly after, but I won't hold ED to it), and I still love it. If there are mainboards that have broken wifi but are otherwise working (and could possibly have working wifi through USB), those could make for some good scrap units. I'm sure I'm not the only one willing to buy a "Tablescraps Edition" Pyra. They could help add some more funds for ED and his team to put towards the next CPU board revision. Though if those boards are so heavily messed up and won't work period then...uh....just scrap the idea.

EDIT: I guess I'm the only one :(

Last edited:
I really like the idea of brushed stainless steel. it's a lot harder (and therefore more scratch resistant) than aluminum. Plus, with heat bluing, I could make it a different color.
Tempering_standards_used_in_blacksmithing.JPG
I'm thinking black case with blue steel would be nice, or maybe even black with red copper..... Please tell me you'll sell spare logo plates, just in case I screw mine up :D

I still think it would be a good idea for Ed to design and sell different colored and designed back plates along with different shell colors to really customize your Pyra.

@EvilDragon Will the white plastics behind the aluminum plate be embossed to fit exactly in the cut out of the aluminum?

I totally dislike the C64 breadbin brown colour.
That's why I never understood why anybody would like to have a C64-coloured Pyra.
But I have to say, the brighter C64C-ish Pyra rendered by Eight Bit looks dope.

For me, if it really has to be a retro colour, it would be Gameboy-white.
The beige hurts my eyes in ways I do not want to describe.
But as with everything look-oriented, it's about your personal preferences.

I really hope for Thinkpad black, the "offical" red that can be seen everywhere or a really bright Kawasaki orange or green.

By the way, I like the idea of the steel-backplates.

I'm really hoping for a black one like the 3DS. I'm getting flagged for spam for trying to post a picture or link though.

@GodofGrunts yeah we have had a lot of spammers coming in and saturating the forum with crap. So you will need to be patient until you can post links as a fresh member. I believe you can just download and the upload the picture as an attachment instead.

Back