Back from Greece

I translatet over 60 Pyra Newsposts and even bevor it all startet I tried to translate some software releases and also gathered information about Pyra from places like Twitter or news burried within threads. Sadly the forum is just dead and there were no signs of new people comming and staying.

So I asked myself: Why bother?
(and the fact that live had other things in mind for me and I had no time anymore)

tl;dr
Sorry matzesu that I can‘t translate for you any longe.

Sorry matzesu, dass ich nicht mehr für dich übersetzen kann. (Giggo vom deutschen Forum)

I dont expect you to translate anything for me now, i thank you for the translatet newspost back in the Pandora Days (2 Months (tm) ago),

I know myself, forum.gp2x.de is near death now, so this is also a reason to learn some english by using the international Pyra Boards.. even if my english isnt the yellow from the egg.. ^^

Aww, come on, I don't want the first thing to do with my Pyra to take it apart just to move it into an awesome looking clear case. Can we not get it inside of one right away?

I would love a brushed steel logo plate. I am still thinking about customizing mine, so I say show off that metal, plus no risk of wear making it two tone.

So what does everyone like for colors with the current info? Be vocal so we can see if we need a new poll. Since ED is saying we can do multiple colors, set your imagination free.

I still like the dark grey and dark red options (with a clear case to try out or for customizing). Maybe throw a little sparkle in there to make it look nice. Let's combine em both and do grey inside and red outside.

Other options I am open to include retro medium grey and beige, hot pink and a since sort of bright yellowish green (or translucent Extreme Green ftw). I think the grey might look better with the brushed steel logo plate. Medium grey and purple (buttons/dpad/stylus) could be fun. Maybe two greys and purple could work...yeah, some of you know what I am getting at.

I don't want it, but I would like to see some tuxedo style black and white Pyras.

Finally I got a chance to reply (I tried last night but someone decided she didn't want to let me). Love the "good news, everyone" reference :)

I really like the idea of buying a clear case sooner, and get something opaque, like the dark red from the mock-ups, black, or even something else a little more unique for the actual Pyra.

Anyway, yet again thanks so much for all the hard work ED, and to all the other fantastic people helping to develop it :)

what about babypuke-green?
30454-b6a105bdea0cc639cfbc18c0a5c4737c.jpg

edit: added pic for rygD
edit2: and yes, i dislike it! ;)

Last edited:
what about baby-puke-green?

I'm fairly open I think. Only thing for me is that lighter colours tend to show up scuff marks more easily.

Although a slightly scuffed C64 beige Pyra would be great :)

Note: there's nothing like a bit of pointless bike-shedding towards the end of a project ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: rSl
... even if my english isnt the yellow from the egg.. ^^
... but it goes!

Explanation for the non-german speakers. This is a literal translation of a common german saying and quite funny - if you speak the language. I think it was even used in that form for an ad-campaign looking for English teachers a few years ago.

Translated it means your english not really stellar... (but good enough for the purpose)

Good news, everyone!
latest

I think it would still be better to find a source for aluminium (maybe in Germany then). At least for weight concerns. As small as it is, I'm afraid of the added mass in proportion to the device.
Else I think blued steel (gunmetal grey) would be neat. But inox is great too.

As for the case, I like the idea of retro beige, but to make it a bit more modern, I'd rather have it in a more '90s beige box fashion : PC painted metal case in off white.
@Eight Bit : good idea to pick up Pantone references, even though it's not perfectly accurate (screen color calibration and unoffical source mainly). On my "smart"phone, Warm Gray 3C appeared way more yellow than on this cheapo laptop. I was more into Cool Gray 2C. But I think we can settle for Warm Gray 1C. Or 2C maybe. To make it more retro, we might as well make the interior dark gray, like Black 7C.

Plus dark gray would make a nice '90s professional laptop, ThinkPad-style. This way we can make entire cases out of Black 7C, plus a few more bezels and stuff for the retro ones.

These two would be my favourites. But a nice cartridge gray or black is fine too. Maybe a two-tone dark gray and black, not unlike my Wave II.
I might bite off more than I can chew, but if someone's into making nice (vinyl ?) adhesives for the cases, I could help designing some arcade cabs-inspired Pyras.
Example :
mLIvrhODuRR8HDGHMpV4_ow.jpg

Kudos to whoever guesses right.

@AxPU : We've got one like that in french : "to speak english like a spanish cow". Don't ask me where that came from, I have no idea :)

EDIT : last post before 2⁹, woohoo ! Will soon need 1 byte and 2 bits to store my message numbers !

Oh and, I'm not against an aerospace-themed Pyra in International Orange.

Last edited:
I still think the redish color in the renders should be produced, when I think of the Pyra I think of that color.

I also like the idea of a C64 gray, or SNES cartridge gray. Black is probably what the majority wants though, I find a little boring but oh well.

If a pure white case was made it could be dyed to whatever color is wanted. As a case replacement maybe white could be stocked for those who want to try. That way if someone found the magic dye for the burgundy color they could post it here. What is the cost of a total shell replacement going to be?

yep, gray or beige sounds good to me, though i'd happily get one in black or white.

Reactions: rSl
Antracite probably hints at a darker colour than I was imagining because in nature, anthracite is basically black (albeit very shiny). The render in the thread I linked to looks pretty good to me though.

Back