Release Audacious

sebt3 said:
Esn said:
sebt3, thank you very much for your work, but... do you think you could possibly hide your new releases/updates a little less? It's quite the job to update the Pandorawiki lists when your newest programs are so often hidden in a reply to another thread, and neither the first post of the thread nor the file on ED's File Archive is updated...

For example, this is nice, while this is pretty hard to find!
But I'll do my best to put more emphase on my releases :)

Is this better for you Esn ?

Last edited by a moderator:
sebt3 said:
sebt3 said:
Esn said:
sebt3, thank you very much for your work, but... do you think you could possibly hide your new releases/updates a little less? It's quite the job to update the Pandorawiki lists when your newest programs are so often hidden in a reply to another thread, and neither the first post of the thread nor the file on ED's File Archive is updated...

For example, this is nice, while this is pretty hard to find!
But I'll do my best to put more emphase on my releases :)

Is this better for you Esn ?

Thank you, that does make things simpler. I've finally updated the wiki lists after a month of not having time (and it looks like I'm practically the only one doing this, unfortunately)

You're a coding machine, sebt3, and I think I'll be using a lot of your programs when I get my system. So thank you for all of your work.

I guess I just don't understand why Pandora software releases have to be so spread out all over the place, in general. Where I find links to new Pandora software:

1. GP32X forums, "news" & "beta testing" sections, sometimes even in "port requests" or "dev talk". More and more software is being released only on the forums.

2. OpenPandora dev forums (one or two things have been announced there exclusively)

3. Pandora Apps/appstore (once a central place, but very few things are released there these days)

4. Pandora File Archive (this seems to get ~half or more of what is released, these days)

5. That website you just linked to (some things are updated there while versions in other places aren't)

I've heard that ED is going to work on the File Archive to add some extra features to make it easier to use and such. I hope things will improve, and people will start uploading everything to one central place...

Just looking at it from a "new user" perspective, who wants to hunt down software all over the place, when every dev puts it somewhere different? Forum threads fall off the front page pretty soon, and some very usable software remains in "beta" stage for months. That was the reason the File Archive was created in the first place, way back in the GP32 days.

Esn said:
Thank you, that does make things simpler. I've finally updated the wiki lists after a month of not having time (and it looks like I'm practically the only one doing this, unfortunately)
You're welcome. I know you're more or less alone updating the wiki even if anyone could help here :(

Esn said:
You're a coding machine, sebt3, and I think I'll be using a lot of your programs when I get my system. So thank you for all of your work.
I'm not. I just use some tools to build packages. In most these PND I don't even have written a single line of code nor do I have touched the PXML file (all generated, the script have been published here mounths ago, I'm still alone to use it :( )
I don't even tests most of the time (beside making sure the app start). That why all my packages appear on these boards before getting uploaded to the file archive.
(BTW, I'm now using the link above to keep track of my own packages so you should be safe using it too)

Esn said:
I guess I just don't understand why Pandora software releases have to be so spread out all over the place, in general. Where I find links to new Pandora software:

1. GP32X forums, "news" & "beta testing" sections, sometimes even in "port requests" or "dev talk". More and more software is being released only on the forums.
If a PND stay on the forum it will be forgiven as anything else on it...
Most of the time, there is a reason why it haven't poped yet on something more official. (as said above mines usually need more testing, or aren't in a usable state, osmo case)

Esn said:
2. OpenPandora dev forums (one or two things have been announced there exclusively)
Things posted here also have a reason to be posted here : not ready for general consomption, not in a PND etc, etc

Esn said:
3. Pandora Apps/appstore (once a central place, but very few things are released there these days)
Some dev are unhappy with the thing. Last time I bugged Craigx about that he answered something like "wont fix". So I don't upload there. Others had taken this decision before me and I also know some that have taken the same road since.
I'll still be happy if someone post my pnd there (Only those on the file archive).

Esn said:
4. Pandora File Archive (this seems to get ~half or more of what is released, these days)
IMHO, this is the central archive and only user-friendly PND should get there (no beta-test etc)

Esn said:
5. That website you just linked to (some things are updated there while versions in other places aren't)
This page is updated automatisly when I upload a file there which is where I upload all my work. So it its _very_ up-to-date :) But is more something for the wiki maintainers and me. (those pnd alvailable there with no link to a gp32x thread are broken, those with no FA link are beta, the last category are my releases)

Esn said:
I've heard that ED is going to work on the File Archive to add some extra features to make it easier to use and such. I hope things will improve, and people will start uploading everything to one central place...

Just looking at it from a "new user" perspective, who wants to hunt down software all over the place, when every dev puts it somewhere different? That was the reason the File Archive was created in the first place, way back in the GP32 days.

There was the box where I gathered all my hope, but this project is dead now :(
I realy hope good thing for the new file-archive version, even if I doubt we would have the same kind of backend as "the box" provided :(

I'm not. I just use some tools to build packages. In most these PND I don't even have written a single line of code nor do I have touched the PXML file (all generated, the script have been published here mounths ago, I'm still alone to use it :( )
I don't even tests most of the time (beside making sure the app start). That why all my packages appear on these boards before getting uploaded to the file archive.
Ok, thanks for setting me straight. I'm just ignorant about coding, really. :p

Does this mean that as someone completely ignorant about these things, there's an easy way I could port a program to the Pandora myself?

sebt3 said:
Most of the time, there is a reason why it haven't poped yet on something more official. (as said above mines usually need more testing, or aren't in a usable state, osmo case)
As I said (I edited my post after you replied, sorry):
some very usable software remains in "beta" stage for months

For example, DJWillis's ScummVM was very usable in its beta version, but wasn't uploaded anywhere except in the beta testing section for months. Meanwhile, other, rougher software was on the official sites. Sometimes coders release a usable software in "beta", and then forget to ever upload it somewhere more official. Also, very often, coders will update a file in one place, but forget to update it in another place.

I think that the benefits of encouraging EVERYONE to use one central file archive would outweigh the negatives of having some things that are buggy. This is already a problem, anyway. Heck, Claws Mail was included in the official OS, and now users are told not to use it because it will fill up the NAND. Untested software should just be clearly labeled as such in the file archive (either in the description, or in some other way, for example in a warning message before downloading).

That's my opinion, anyway...

Ok I just uploaded the same version (2.4.3) but with network re-enabled.
Sorry for problems generated. (I guess Bosbeetle dont yet have his pandora's back or I would have know earlier :D )

EDIT: Crashing :( Will need to debug that
EDIT2: Crash now fixed

Esn said:
What's the newest (March 3) update about?
Nothing worth mentionning nor downloading (a test with Ivanovic)

Writing Gaijin said:
Great music player! Any way to add ratings to tracks on this?
Not to my knowledge

On an other news : updated to 2.4.4. Changes :
- updated to 2.4.4
- added adplug support (might enable midi playing)
- Now create a skin directory in appdata
Things I 'd like to have repport on is :
- Do you now get the .../pandora/appdata/audacious/share/audacious/Skins directory created ?
- Is midi playing working now ?
- how are working network radio ?

sebt3 said:
Not to my knowledge

Shame, but thanks for answering. My Pandora (which needs to go back for a faulty shoulder button, but cant bear to part with it right now) is slowly turning into my prefered music device as well as my general favourite machine going. My iPod Touch is great, but I'm finding it harder and harder to face iTunes after a hard drive migration as all my settings have gone. This is the ideal opportunity to dump the Apple bloat-ware, so I'm just looking for an excuse ;) A music app which uses ratings and the ability to skip tracks with the shoulder buttons (or button, in my case for now) would tip me over the edge...

I absolutely love Audacious. Definately my favourite audio player on the Pandora. Thanks alot Sebt3, your work is appreciated.

One question though - how do I get the skins working? The skins folder is automatically created in the Appdata folder. I have placed my winamp2 skins in the \appdata\audacious\share\audacious\Skins folder, both in .wsz format and also extracted to their own folders. I can't get them to show up anywhere in the player though. Definately not ruling out user error, but anyone have any ideas?

dkj75 said:
I absolutely love Audacious. Definately my favourite audio player on the Pandora. Thanks alot Sebt3, your work is appreciated.

One question though - how do I get the skins working? The skins folder is automatically created in the Appdata folder. I have placed my winamp2 skins in the \appdata\audacious\share\audacious\Skins folder, both in .wsz format and also extracted to their own folders. I can't get them to show up anywhere in the player though. Definately not ruling out user error, but anyone have any ideas?
I'm not using this myself (using the gtk interface). But I know that it only support png images. BMP are not supported nor the wsz (which are just zip file btw)

sebt3 said:
dkj75 said:

I'm not using this myself (using the gtk interface). But I know that it only support png images. BMP are not supported nor the wsz (which are just zip file btw)

Cheers for the quick reply!

The skins that I have contain all bitmaps so hopefully that's my problem. I realize that they are just zips - it's why I tried extracting them, with no luck. Do you know if it is as easy as converting the bmp files to png? Checked the other txt files in my skins and they don't seem to suggest any further config is required (although my knowledge of this things is limited...).

dkj75 said:
The skins that I have contain all bitmaps so hopefully that's my problem. I realize that they are just zips - it's why I tried extracting them, with no luck. Do you know if it is as easy as converting the bmp files to png? Checked the other txt files in my skins and they don't seem to suggest any further config is required (although my knowledge of this things is limited...).
It should be as easy as just converting the files. you can even do it on the pandora.

Back