Assembly restart. Software work. And maybe our next SoC?

well, a Wacom digitizer and capacitive touch would be awesome...
Apart from that, the resolution is fine. Really looking forward for my Pyra!

I also don't see any reason to update the screen. The LCD is pretty good, the resolution perfect for the size.

In general LCDs are only a temporary solution. When some day there are microLED displays in that format available at reasonable prices, then there would be a reason to upgrade.

LCDs have been the useful display technology for constrained application for about 30 years now; the Epson HX-20 came out in 1982. In some segments OLEDs have replaced them, but given the limited lifespan or their blue phosphors, it's not an approach I favour over a good traditional TFT LCD.

there are approximately 1100 preorders for the pyra. It would not be fair to those who have ordered and are waiting for ED to have assembled and working Pyra in his shop before the preorders are fulfilled.

I've just visited https://dragonbox.de/en/ and the Pyra isn't listed so it looks like the answer is no.

I could imagine that ED doesn't want any more orders for an OMAP5 currently Even though he has said a late preorderer might get the newer CPU by default, if it's been developed and tested well by the time he gets round to them, the listing on the website did say it'd come with an OMAP5.

I also have a pinephone with keyboard. That keyboard is nearly unusable :(
If the keyboard on the pine phone was better, I would upgrade to the pinephone pro. But pyra seams like a better option.

Why do so sat PinePhone keyboard is nearly unusable?

At the moment I don't have PinePhone keyboard but I own a Psion 5mx, and PinePhone keyboard imitate 5mx keyboard (I think Pine does in a better way because PinePhone doesn't have moving base from 5mx). The problem I found on 5mx is its keyboard is it isn't designed form thumb usage.

With thumb usage I mean the way we usually use this small devices on the go: we hold them with both hands, one on each side, and we type using both thumbs. For me this is the best and more natural way to use these devices. It is the same for a Nintendo DS: it is designed to be used that way, not to be used while it sits on a desk.

I think 5mx (and PinePhone) keyboard is designed to be used while it sits on a desk, like a small notebook. Really I can't do thumb usage on 5mx: machine is too big and simply you can't nicely hold machine in that way while typing, nor my thumbs (even with my large fingers) can't reach all keys with comfort (and 5mx with its moving keyboard base is unstable and uncomfortable).

Pyra and a lot of other small devices I own, like Nokia N900, Sharp Zarusus SL-Cxxxx, HP 95/200LX, are designed for thumb usage. I think these is a much better idea for those devices because most times they are not sitting on a desk, but We are holding them with our hands.

Other mistake on PinePhone keyboard is it haven't backlight. Pyra keyboard have backlight. It is important in a mobile device.

By the way I will buy a PinePhone Pro and keyboard, although I don't know if I will use that keyboard and I will rely on virtual keyboard on that machine.

PD: I am more excited about PineNote than PinePhone. I dream having a e-ink computer with Linux for end user.

Last edited:
My only complaint with the pyra keyboard design is the location of keys above the nubs. Especially the Esc key, I've accidentally quit out of several games of Soul Calibur by accidentally hitting the key when doing some quick maneuvers.

Akkordeons to Discord, the new cases ditnt solve the Batterie Contact Issue ;
They bend the contacts before they ship the new Pyra, and put some padding under the batterie .. so I think I will stay whit the OLD Case but will get a new CPU Board ..

Im fine whit the Keyboard from the Pyra, but when I wrote this text, I came two times on the GIF Option from this IPhone Touch Keyboard , which is much more anoying as to cancel this you can make this only in portrait mode ..

Akkordeons to Discord, the new cases ditnt solve the Batterie Contact Issue ;

That's a shame. All I can suggest is pulling some old phones apart and looking at how different manufacturers solved the problem of keeping batteries in place. I've just looked at a few I have, and they have some quite ingenious approaches, which I can't easily describe in text, and I'm not up to making short videos.

It’s not that worse, it’s just a few situations where it’s causes a shutdown.. (putting the Stylus back in, ) and it was maybe twice in this 1 1/2 Years..

And I would change only the Batterie Compartment Part anyway..

The Automatic Word Correction on Iphone made a Music Istrument out of the Word i wanted to use, but on Pyra its only writes what i want...

I just made the Batterie Compartment hack: i bend the Contacts a bit up, and put the papersheat more to the side of the contacts....now it seems like its much more shock resistant:
putting the Stylus back in dosnt made anything worse..
even let the Pyra fell a few cm on the Couch dosnt tent to a shutdown..

i just hope the contact legs cant break..

I tried to bend up the contacts on my Pandora back in the day before I settled on the correct way to pack the compartment to stop random shutdowns. But what I actually ended up doing was popping the trapped end out of it's plastic prison. It still worked, but it proved to me that trying to do that wasn't what I wanted to do.

Back