Assembly restart. Software work. And maybe our next SoC?

Bear in mind, many of these kind of press releases are about stuff that only works in the lab at present. As far as I've heard all phones and cars are still using gen-1 Li-o batteries, with at the most minor alterations to their shape. There is research I've heard about which is fiddling with the anode and cathode, which is more likely to be employed in something you can buy before any radically different battery chemistry come to market.

image.jpg

Damn it! I didn't check the board for two days and I come back to find the latest news thread has already derailed :p

More great news, thanks ED. The future for Pyra looks very bright indeed.

an Australian Shepherd
Dog is gorgeous, did I hear you call him 'Snoopy'? Being an Aussie who has never heard of an 'Australian Shepperd', a had to look it up: first line of wikipedia article:
The Australian Shepherd is a breed of herding dog from the United States.
For fuck's sake!

- And is it still the First Batch Edition when I changed the Bottompart and the CPU Board later ?
So will it still be worth a few 1000 , when I put the Pyra on EBay in 10 Years..
It will be like Grandpa's old axe: Two new heads and three new handles, but it is still Grandpa's old axe!

Hmm, maybe the Rk3588 would be better? it costs 5x as much as the RK35688 (so about 100 EUR) and I'm not sure about the heating. well, a consumer version exists, so it should work reasonably well with passive cooling.

Sorry for taking so long, we'll try better next time.

Ha ha, I'm sure not much efort will be required! I wonder what the mean page count is before zombies get mentioned? Oh crap, sorry!

now thats an interesting read. a year of testing and 4000 cycles and the monoclinic gamma sulfur was still stable. sounds like it is close to commercial use once they figure out how it happened..lol

Hmm, maybe the Rk3588 would be better? it costs 5x as much as the RK35688 (so about 100 EUR) and I'm not sure about the heating. well, a consumer version exists, so it should work reasonably well with passive cooling.
4 x A76 @ 2.6 GHz
4 x A55 @ 1.8 GHz
4 x ARM Mali-G610
thats one hell of a chip. is it small enough to fit in the pyra? i couldnt quickly see what the TDP for the chip is expected to be...

Interesting news. I'm very curious about the actual performance of the Rockchip SoC, compared to the OMAP 5. I'm not familiar with Rockchip but I know they are used alot in various (mobile) devices. I'm sure it will be faster, but will it be also more easy to handle? I hope for better software support "out of the box" and less tinkering with "non-standard exotic stuff", at least that's how it felt in case of bringing Pyras OMAP 5 to do even "basic stuff". ED mentioned in the Video that Rockchip offers long term support and documentation. So maybe this will also help to get better results from the RK 3568 in terms of performance, compatibility and proper Hardware Support from the Pyra OS.

Interesting news. I'm very curious about the actual performance of the Rockchip SoC, compared to the OMAP 5. I'm not familiar with Rockchip but I know they are used alot in various (mobile) devices. I'm sure it will be faster, but will it be also more easy to handle? I hope for better software support "out of the box" and less tinkering with "non-standard exotic stuff", at least that's how it felt in case of bringing Pyras OMAP 5 to do even "basic stuff". ED mentioned in the Video that Rockchip offers long term support and documentation. So maybe this will also help to get better results from the RK 3568 in terms of performance, compatibility and proper Hardware Support from the Pyra OS.

The RK3568 is about as fast as the Raspberry Pi 4. For emulators which often run single core, it shouldn't be a lot faster than the OMAP5, but it should use significantly less power.
The Cortex A15 IS a beast, it's a lot more powerful than most here think, but it's only 32bit and the OMAP5 has less cores than the RK3568, so with multicore apps, ot should be faster.

The support is a lot better, the SoC is fully supported by mainline, audio is working, even the 2D accelerators (like H264 decoding and stuff) is working in Linux. So yes, it should be a lot less hassle.

The RK3588 though is a real beast. A LOT faster than the Raspberry Pi 4 or the OMAP5.

I don't own a Raspberry Pi 4 but through various Videos about, I have a slightly guess how capable it can be. For its price, the Pi4 is a very usable Mini Computer. No wonder the Raspi is so popular for Emulation & Co., the users can get alot out of it. Except proper HW video acceleration it seems (Youtube is still an issue afaik, at least in combination with Linux and web browsers). So I'm glad you mentioned the HW decoding of the RK3568. I hope it will be better than onto the Raspi 4. The pure hw power of the RK3568 should be enough for 1080p Videos I guess.

Just out of curiosity, what spoke against the actual Raspberry Pi 4 SoC, (the Broadcom BCM2711) for using in the Pyra? Price?

When I see all these 3rd party Pi cases with passive or active cooling, yes, It definitely needs some cooling.
Does that mean, the RK3568 SoC can bring the same performance as an Broadcom BCM2711, but produces less heat? This would be very...cool. :cool:

Well, I think that's an issue with all high-power devices: The more the battery is stressed, the shorter it lives. Combined with the higher temperatures these devices have, batteries won't last that long
Luckily it never happened with my Pandoras, seems like the fixes that were made after the first cases did the job in the right way, but I have seen different pretty recent devices that had the chubbiness fate, from different producers... I wonder if the fix made for Pandora was so difficult to implement in those ones... if I remember well it consisted only in limiting the charge to 80%.

I have a one line scripr that logs the current cpu speed once per second. It can show how your CPU fits in the thermal envelope you currently have fitted, and whether it's able to run at full pelt all of the time or needs to back off. Since you're running the ondemand governor you might need to do something heavy while it's running to stress the CPU properly, I suggest video transcoding is the easiest to set up and long lasting.

The script is: while true; do cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq; sleep 1; done

... do something heavy while it's running to stress the CPU properly, I suggest video transcoding is the easiest to set up and long lasting.
One could also calculate prime numbers. That's long lasting for sure. :) What was it called? Prime95 ot something like that.

Last edited:
Well, I do have a python script which decomposes a series of numbers to prime factorials. It's here if you want it:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python

# A quick script the thrash the cpu
import math
def fac(target):
    facs=[]
    for check in [2,] + list(range(3,int(math.sqrt(target)),2)):
        while target%check == 0:
            facs.append(check)
            target/=check
    return facs

i=1
while True:
    i+=1
    print("{}: {}".format(i,fac(i)))

Would the RK3399 fit too? It's a bit faster and already used in the pinebook pro and pinephone pro, so there is a big community around. Apparently there is a more efficient RK3399S version specifically for the pinephone, but I'm not sure it can be sourced.

Back