Assembly restart. Software work. And maybe our next SoC?

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
It might improve video playback on those chips, but if I was running one of them I'd currently be configuring my video players to stick to software decoding until it's hit a release and been well tested.

Batou456

Yes, that's understood. 7W is possibly too much. But I understand 7W is thermal dissipation power at max load ? Or is it some average or made up number?
My question is what performance can you get at say 4W TDP with RK3588. It should be more than what you get from a RK3568 at 4W TDP.
Now you're either running with half the SOC off or you're running with most of it on for a few ms and then sleeping it all a few more. Or throttling down clock most of the time, Or some such.
So you're paying 5 times more for a SOC and using only half or it or using it only half the time or something. But you should still get a little more processing than with the cheaper one.
Is it worth it ? Dunno.

Let's put it this way.

The original GPD Win used an actively cooled setup with an Intel Atom x7-Z8700 which has a SDP of 2 Watts, and had serious issues with inadequate cooling. This led to a beefier redesign with the Win 2 and a Intel Core M3-7Y30 which has a TDP of 4.5 Watts:

The TDP [Thermal Design Power] specification is for the intended cooling solution, that's what it's called that. Manufacturers aren't necessarily as consistent as they should be about such things, but trying to cheat the TDP is folly, especially in a passively cooled device.

tl;dr:
A 7 Watt TDP chip is even not vaguely reasonable for the Pyra.