Artist For Pmenu Skins Wanted

Cpasjuste said:
Else, i'm using bmp for 16 bits RGB textures, because i'm unsure of the saved format under gimp for 16 bits RGB, and it use much less ressources than 32bits rgba.
Cpas, I don't really think that those extra ~10 KiB of RAM will make that much of a difference...

Last edited by a moderator:
I say that because i tested it.
Using 16 bits rgb images/textures in the menu instead 32 bits rgba when possible did improve the framerate for about 10 fps if I remember correctly, especially for large texture like the background (1024x512).

Hmm, I wonder if using the special PowerVR texture format for the images, which are optimised for the SGX, would help ;)

EDIT:
Or better yet, convert images to that format on load time, if they arn't powervr texture format already? Might increase load time a bit, but it will ensure the menu will be smooth no matter what type of images the user uses? :)

MDave said:
Hmm, I wonder if using the special PowerVR texture format for the images, which are optimised for the SGX, would help ;)

Yep it help :) And i did had support for pvr textures to my GLES2D library, but it's easier for people to use simple image for making the skins. I bet even 40-50 fps for the menu should be enough anyway. What slow down too is my ttf font rendering. I'm drawing a texture for every text char, but i don't see how it could be done better (using one texture for a complete string can sometime be very slow since if the sentence is too long it will render maybe a 4096x32 texture for exemple ).

Edit : i may had support for it soon to the menu since i added images path to the skin configuration file, then if the extension is .pvr just load it as pvr ... People that want to use it would have a faster skin :) Keep in mind that pvr textures must be a square ( 32x32, 128x128, 1024x1024 ..etc ) so you will have to fill with black for exemple the rest of the image for a 800x480 image so it's still 1024*1024. I will have to write a new parameter in the conf. file to specify the real image width/height.

Sounds great! I will probably need to use the pvr format because I rely on gradients and alpha channels a lot for my theme, which would not look too good with 16bit color ;)

Here is my WIP:
241m51x.jpg

Cpasjuste said:
I bet even 40-50 fps for the menu should be enough anyway.
What's your reason for having a render loop for the menu in the first place? Why not have a loop that checks for events, and does nothing more until something actually happens? Since you're so worried about resources it seems, then that might be a good optimization...

I'll provide a patch for this if you don't want to do it yourself.

dflemstr said:
Cpasjuste said:
I bet even 40-50 fps for the menu should be enough anyway.
What's your reason for having a render loop for the menu in the first place? Why not have a loop that checks for events, and does nothing more until something actually happens? Since you're so worried about resources it seems, then that might be a good optimization...

I'll provide a patch for this if you don't want to do it yourself.

I need a loop to render scrolling text and some effect, but you'r welcome to try it out !

Mdave : love your skin :)

Good skin MDave :)

(I'll try to work more on mine tonight)

Edit : ho and thanks cpasjuste, it's becoming really configurable ;)

Edit 2 :
(ho and "divers" is not really english I think. Miscellaneous would be better. I guess because I'm as french as you ^^')

A few (very) slight changes :
jqt4sp.jpg

Would love to try to make a skin for the menu.
But is there anybody who knows where to find the Pandora logo as vector drawings?

The tech-Speach here sounds very interesting, even for non-Pro's like me. :D
I would try a skin if I have a Pandora...but without Linux or deeper coding skills I think I only could do simple BG images. For this system here It sounds like some coding-lines are also recommended besides the pure graphic-drawing stuff and putting these graphics in a "Skin" folder. (besides, the word "Texture" always sounds for me like skining an polygone-based 2D/3D object - never heard of this in combination with an GUI, interesting. :) )
Well, I hope I don't have to overclock my Pandora just to use the Menu. :lol: I more hope to run the minimal-Menu around 100MHz or so, for "Special Effects" we have all the OMAP Hardware-Rendering-Stuff AFAIK, I think the Chipset is designed to do such things without even blinking. I mean, the Games also have to run over the menu (or is it somehow "disabled" druing a app is running?) How much Processor Power eats this Menu during a game?

P.S.: is there also a way to label the SD-space values in someting like "FREE"/"USED" and entire SD Space? The pure MB-values are good but sometimes they are not that clear, was the first value free ore used space? Maybe a more clear indication of what is what makes it more easy (for beginners?)

MDave said:
Looking good hells_dark ;)

One thing you need to remember though, is the size of the Pandora's screen. I think it might be really difficult to read the text in your icons on a 4.3 inch screen :eek:

Thanks.

About the font size, it's a small screen, but the resolution is high and the screen will not be far from your eyes when using the pandora.
We will know in december (crossed fingers) ;)

Small update :

20091123101514800x480scrot.png

cpasjuste >
1 - the interline spacing in the settings is a bit too high. Could we configure that too ? :p
2 - what about the other sections ? emulators, apps, and misc ?

hells_dark said:
MDave said:
Looking good hells_dark ;)

One thing you need to remember though, is the size of the Pandora's screen. I think it might be really difficult to read the text in your icons on a 4.3 inch screen :eek:

Thanks.

About the font size, it's a small screen, but the resolution is high and the screen will not be far from your eyes when using the pandora.
We will know in december (crossed fingers) ;)

Small update :

20091123101514800x480scrot.png

I like your skin, one slight thing that needs fixing though. The star on the FAVS icon, the top point is slightly wrong. The left side of it doesn't line up with the bottom left point. It's not a big deal, but my eye is instantly drawn to the fact that it doesn't line up and it's annoying.

Geuben said:
I like your skin, one slight thing that needs fixing though. The star on the FAVS icon, the top point is slightly wrong. The left side of it doesn't line up with the bottom left point. It's not a big deal, but my eye is instantly drawn to the fact that it doesn't line up and it's annoying.

Haha, I draw that star pixel per pixel ^^'

(stop quoting my skin :p)

by the way, fixed.

hells_dark said:
cpasjuste >
1 - the interline spacing in the settings is a bit too high. Could we configure that too ? :p
2 - what about the other sections ? emulators, apps, and misc ?

1 - Ok, will add that :)
2 - Other sections are the same as the games one. When you put a ".pnd" packaged, or not, application on your SD, if the application xml file (PXML.xml) is correctly done, you have a flag set to say in which section your app go. If this section is : "emulators", then it will be loaded under the emulator category/tab of the menu etc ...

So anyway, I was just wondering why I am as far as I can see the only one who needs libGLES_CM and not libEGL.
[zhasha@ztoshiba release]$ ldd pmenu
linux-gate.so.1 => (0xb784f000)
libSDL-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 (0x02539000)
libSDL_image-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0 (0x00b90000)
libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0 (0x00c0f000)
libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0x00d4c000)
libGLES_CM.so => not found
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00679000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x003ec000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x009b5000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x00b2c000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x00101000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x00b58000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x00b5f000)
libpng12.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 (0x00265000)
libjpeg.so.62 => /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62 (0x07f35000)
libtiff.so.3 => /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3 (0x020fe000)
libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0x00b7b000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00993000)
libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1 (0x00d0c000)
libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0x00d07000)
A quick google search on it turned up nothing of value and I can't seem to find it in the fedora repos.

Back