Appstore Look

(naw)mcx said:
My concept(done with real media and stuff)

I kinda like that one, but with less penises...

Last edited by a moderator:
Dudes!
We don't have infinite amounts of space on the Pandora screen!
I won't +1 a design that doesn't use its screen real estate efficiently.

Thing I'm working on:
pandorastorelayout.png

Note that I try to use every pixel for something...

dflemstr said:
Dudes!

Thing I'm working on:
pandorastorelayout.png

In the case of mine, easy finger use, easy to read. The text on yours is very small in places, and white on light blue is hard to see.

hah, yea I was in a hurry: "describing"

Craigix: your PM box is full heres the link to download the images in png format and the svg for changes/resizing if needed:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ymmntml0kim/Pandora%20Appstore.zip

dflemstr: Don't forget its a web page and vertical size isn't that important :)

greendots said:
hah, yea I was in a hurry: "describing"

Craigix: your PM box is full heres the link to download the images in png format and the svg for changes/resizing if needed:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ymmntml0kim/Pandora%20Appstore.zip

dflemstr: Don't forget its a web page and vertical size isn't that important :)
Yeah, I know, but a page is so much easier to navigate if you don't have to scroll all the time, or if you can at least limit the scrolling to a specific region like the application browsing section.

dflemstr said:
Dudes!

Thing I'm working on:
pandorastorelayout.png

It has a great look to it but the fonts are way too small. Big buttons is the way to go.

The concept (naw)mcx posted gets it right.

Sphinxter said:
I would point the free download arrows down rather than up.

That would make sense wouldn't it? Thanks :)
Heres a link to the fixed download button and full, half, and open stars for voting system:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qnjhzikinmy/PA_dl_stars.zip

Big buttons - yes.
Account for scroll bar - yes.
Compress logo and search bar space at top - yes.
"Popular Today" and "Latest Uploads" should be buttons, not lists. Lists take up too much room on the front page. They should OPEN to lists.
Add buttons for top line categories:
"Pandora System Updates" <- should be at the top of the list.
"Emulators"
"Games" <-- assuming this opens a new page with loads of categories
"Productivity" <-- OpenOffice.org stuff and the like packaged with PND files for easy onload/offload from the Pandora
"Scientific" <-- Star charts, interactive periodic tables, calculators (someone build an RPN one?), etc...
"Media Players" <-- Audio and video players and recorders
"Interwebs tools" <-- Torrent downloaders, browsers, plugins, FTP clients, wardriving applications, etc...
"Comic doohickeys" <-- Tricorder simulators, buzzword generators, the machine that goes Pingggg!, program to make your Pandora creek loudly and say, "Thank you THING!" when opened, etc...
"Upload Content" <-- opens a new page with instructions, disclaimers and all the necessary schtuff.
"I'm Lost!" or "What's a Pandora?" <-- link to the www.openpandora.org site.

Just some ideas. The big thing is, if you're going to make the most of the tiny space and be readable, I don't think you're going to want any lists on the front page.

IMHO

Just something I want to point out: The touch screen is resistive, not capacitive, so using your fingers isn't going to register with the touch screen. Finger nails work though, but not everyone is going to have long nails ;) So don't worry about having to make the buttons big enough for fingers to push, just enough to tap easily with a stylus.

MDave said:
Just something I want to point out: The touch screen is resistive, not capacitive, so using your fingers isn't going to register with the touch screen. Finger nails work though, but not everyone is going to have long nails ;) So don't worry about having to make the buttons big enough for fingers to push, just enough to tap easily with a stylus.
It's still a tiny 4" screen. No need to make minuscule buttons/text.

Invisiblemoose said:
MDave said:
It's still a tiny 4" screen. No need to make minuscule buttons/text.

Did I say make it minuscule?

greendots said:
Sphinxter said:
I would point the free download arrows down rather than up.

That would make sense wouldn't it? Thanks :)
Heres a link to the fixed download button and full, half, and open stars for voting system:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qnjhzikinmy/PA_dl_stars.zip

Hmmmm :huh:

MDave said:

Wikipedia said:
Resistive
Main article: Resistive touchscreen
A resistive touchscreen panel is composed of several layers, the most important of which are two thin, metallic, electrically conductive layers separated by a narrow gap. When an object, such as a finger, presses down on a point on the panel's outer surface the two metallic layers become connected at that point: the panel then behaves as a pair of voltage dividers with connected outputs. This causes a change in the electrical current which is registered as a touch event and sent to the controller for processing.

Capacitive
Main article: Capacitive sensing
A capacitive touchscreen panel consists of an insulator such as glass, coated with a transparent conductor such as indium tin oxide (ITO).[sup][2][/sup][sup][3][/sup] As the human body is also a conductor, touching the surface of the screen results in a distortion of the local electrostatic field, measurable as a change in capacitance. Different technologies may be used to determine the location of the touch. The location can be passed to a computer running a software application which will calculate how the user's touch relates to the computer software.

I don't want to be nitpicking here, just clarifying as I would be a tad disappointed if my finger won't work on the screen - I don't want to get the pen out every time...

So, can anyone confirm what's right on that matter?

foxblock said:
I don't want to be nitpicking here, just clarifying as I would be a tad disappointed if my finger won't work on the screen - I don't want to get the pen out every time...

Your finger will work. Just check something else with resistive screen for example like nearly every touchscreen device out there that is no iPhone/iPod.

So far I like Dflemstr's and Paulguy's the most, aside from perhaps some tweaking of the font sizes. I think the only thing I'd add to either f them is maybe some artwork for the buttons to give them shape rather than just being a bunch of rectangles.

Is it possible to have skins for the store? We could have multiple styles and people could just sign in and use the one they like most.

foxblock said:

The resistive screen is made of two membranes, and anything that can push those two membranes together will work. Your finger, a stylus, the wheel of a roller coaster, whatever. The wider the pressure circle, the more inaccurate the touch, however.

Back