Appstore

linc186

Still Fresh
Please excuse this question, Idon't own a pandora yet, and im new to it, i just sent my preorder email in today. About, the Appstore that poeple are refering to, is there an actual program running on the pandora allowign you to dl openscource games/apps people develope? Or are people using "appstore" to refer to the file archive?

linc186 said:
Please excuse this question, Idon't own a pandora yet, and im new to it, i just sent my preorder email in today. About, the Appstore that poeple are refering to, is there an actual program running on the pandora allowign you to dl openscource games/apps people develope? Or are people using "appstore" to refer to the file archive?

http://apps.open-pandora.org/

No program yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
SomeGuy99 said:
linc186 said:

No program yet.

I see. Is this meant to substitute the file archive or so that you can go to this website directly from the pandora and download the apps, without having to put your SD into a computer? And is there a program being developed?

linc186 said:
SomeGuy99 said:
linc186 said:

No program yet.

I see. Is this meant to substitute the file archive or so that you can go to this website directly from the pandora and download the apps, without having to put your SD into a computer? And is there a program being developed?
The apps store was made so that people could sell applications (apps! what are we apple???) And be made for the pandora's smaller screen. I don't know about a program but I don't understand the benifit of having a dedicated program.

Trickyhero said:
linc186 said:
SomeGuy99 said:
linc186 said:

No program yet.

The apps store was made so that people could sell applications (apps! what are we apple???) And be made for the pandora's smaller screen.

everything currently on there is free, however, and i tihnk its absurd to sell open scource games you developed to run on the pandora...

linc186 said:
Trickyhero said:
linc186 said:
SomeGuy99 said:
linc186 said:

No program yet.

The apps store was made so that people could sell applications (apps! what are we apple???) And be made for the pandora's smaller screen.

everything currently on there is free, however, and i tihnk its absurd to sell open scource games you developed to run on the pandora...
*face palm* For selling any closed source games that anyone makes and wants to sell. Because the Pandora has actually gotten some attention from some actual game companies.

It's about developers having options, linc186. :) Not everything has to be open source, stuff can be closed source and still free, or it can be commercial. Traditionally, most software released in these parts is free, with a handful of commercial things in the mix.

Regarding the various download locations, there's a big maybe over whether or not Pandora Apps will replace the File Archive. Many people want the File Archive to stay. There's another site called The Box on the way too (community built). My bet is we'll end up with two locations running alongside each other, once all the dust settles.

Trickyhero said:
I don't know about a program but I don't understand the benifit of having a dedicated program.

Well a dedicated program would be able, when you click the install button, to prompt you which SD you wanted to install to and ask you if you wanted icons in the desktop, on the menu, or both. Yes I know it's not much work to navigate to the directories and choose save (well it is a bit of a job with firefox's current save dialogue), but it makes it just that bit easier for the first time user.

Mind you, the same could be accomplished with a firefox plugin.

Back