Appstore Look

craigix said:
CoMiKe said:
Craig, I think you should post a base html file and people will be able to provide good css sheets for that file, as a start.

There isn't a standard one yet, it's all generated on the fly and it's not finished yet. I'm just asking for awesome layout ideas + graphics while I'm doing it.
i'l try to ask for you;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, web interface seems to be the way to go. Of course we can make the graphics neater, but that shouldn't really be first priority right now. The functionality on the other hand, what do you want to be possible with the AppStore (besides downloading and paying for apps)?

Since Craig said that we can make third party client apps I'm happy.
what craigx needs right now is just some ideas not a "skin"

SlashEMc2k said:
What are the dimension of the appstore? :)

Is 801px*631px the min required size?
Has to be cross browser support aswell?

Can we throw in jquery to make it nice and animated?

It's 800*X, 800 is the width of the Pandora screen.

craigix said:
SlashEMc2k said:
What are the dimension of the appstore? :)

Is 801px*631px the min required size?
Has to be cross browser support aswell?

Can we throw in jquery to make it nice and animated?

It's 800*X, 800 is the width of the Pandora screen.

But we would have less then 800 if you take into account scroll bars and window edges?

I'm looking at it and the first thing that comes to my limited HTML mind is "why isnt he using cellpadding" part of the reason it looks so simplistic is that all the text is right up against the walls of the tables. Understandable that you want to make sure you maximize the Pandora screen realestate but you can spare a little room to keep it from looking like an old geosities site. In the featured app area everything is left justified, that's just... ugh. center them. I think these two things will automatically improve the look of things 50%. You might even concider a color behind each cell to help them stand out a bit.

Something that comes to mind that I wonder about is after the nintendo reaction to Nokia having a NES emulator, I can understand nintendo wanting to kill that because it's litterally a bold face copyright infringment by a major coproration. I mean it looks like they produced it themselves which puts them in the crosshairs, where as GP32s and 2Xs and all it's brothers and sisters (aside from those chinese MP3 players) all seem to supply their emulators through third party outlets like gp32x.de or gp32spain, places not officially part of GPH. I worry that this "appstore" loaded with emulator could put Pandora in the crosshairs since it's being put together not only by the people who sell it but the people who created it officially rather than a 3rd party that you can say you have no connection to.

Yes, I think we need to take scrollbar and window edges into account. (No set size for window boarders in Linux though)

Anyway... heres my mock up:
appstoremockup1.png

I went for a light theme that would be easy to see, using the pandora colors.
The text sizes need adjusting but thats easier to do in HTML :p

I'd like to know what people think...

Alpha2 said:
I'm looking at it and the first thing that comes to my limited HTML mind is "why isnt he using cellpadding" part of the reason it looks so simplistic is that all the text is right up against the walls of the tables. Understandable that you want to make sure you maximize the Pandora screen realestate but you can spare a little room to keep it from looking like an old geosities site. In the featured app area everything is left justified, that's just... ugh. center them. I think these two things will automatically improve the look of things 50%. You might even concider a color behind each cell to help them stand out a bit.

Something that comes to mind that I wonder about is after the nintendo reaction to Nokia having a NES emulator, I can understand nintendo wanting to kill that because it's litterally a bold face copyright infringment by a major coproration. I mean it looks like they produced it themselves which puts them in the crosshairs, where as GP32s and 2Xs and all it's brothers and sisters (aside from those chinese MP3 players) all seem to supply their emulators through third party outlets like gp32x.de or gp32spain, places not officially part of GPH. I worry that this "appstore" loaded with emulator could put Pandora in the crosshairs since it's being put together not only by the people who sell it but the people who created it officially rather than a 3rd party that you can say you have no connection to.

I've added some padding, 5 pixels on the left. You're right I'm trying to get the most out of the res, and everything does need to be quite big so it's a tricky balance.

The right pane is something I need ideas for, I'm not sure what should greet people there.

greendots said:
Yes, I think we need to take scrollbar and window edges into account. (No set size for window boarders in Linux though)

I like it! See this is all I need, that just looks awesome.

If anyone wants to see sort of what it looks like on the Pandora, use the zoom function until the width is about 10cm on your screen.

craigix said:
greendots said:

I like it! See this is all I need, that just looks awesome.

If anyone wants to see sort of what it looks like on the Pandora, use the zoom function until the width is about 10cm on your screen.
I would have to agree that looks awesome! :D

craigix said:
What is the font being used there? Is it a standard one? Do you have the colour codes too?

COLORS:
Gradient
top: dee6f1
bottom: ffffff

Pandora logo
dark blue: 02364e
light blue: 178dcb

Pandora's dark blue is used for headers and all dark text.
Light text is top gradient.

FONTS:
Appstore: Sazabani Mincho [bold]
The upload/login, text description: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
The rest: Bitstream Vera Sans

Let me know if you need the graphics

greendots said:

posted image

thats a very nice theme:)

greendots said:

appstoremockup1.png

Doom 3 :)

I have nothing to contribute here; I just like saying "disctibining".

Back