Anybody considering picking up an Oculus Rift..?

Famous Disney artist Glen Keane demonstrates drawing some of his creations in VR space, with one of the HTC/Valve VR headsets:

Glen Keane - Step into the page

Imagine virtual scuplture, then sending your approved final file to a CNC machine at some quarry and having your final product cut from stone.

windows only for everything at the moment, they have openly admitted to putting linux & osx on the back burner until the windows components are final

To be honest, I've not kept up with much. I'm about to upgrade my computer, not sure whether I should consider the rift in my specs, as not even sure I'm bothered with the rift now.

Why would it need a GTX970? Surely it'd be based on the game you're playing? Was going to get a Micro-ATX with a GTX950... Not sure I want to pay an extra £150 for a GTX970... Ugh, decisions

Meh. I have zero interest in Windows-only hardware. Once Linux is on the table again I'll check to see if it has something to offer.

Yes, if they treat us as an afterthought, I will do so as well.
Maybe one of the other VR headset makers will have more Linux in mind, any information about that? Wasn't there an OpenSource project of this kind?

The mean thing is, that Occulus advertised Linux support and I'm sure many people backed it only because of this. Somehow I'm not surprised about their way of handling it now.

Last edited:
Thought it was just a HDMI device? I'm assume the Windows components are relating to the head tracking or something?

Maybe one of the other VR headset makers will have more Linux in mind, any information about that? Wasn't there an OpenSource project of this kind?
Wasn't Valve also working on their own VR headset? That will support Linux for sure.

Thought it was just a HDMI device? I'm assume the Windows components are relating to the head tracking or something?
Head tracking, input, demo/software support. Even if you can hack it to function properly, I just don't care anymore. Linux is mature enough these days to just demand proper platform support. If they don't want me as customer, then I'll look somewhere else.

Kickstarter backers getting free commercial version, check Kickstarter status updates!

Code:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game/posts/1458224

Last edited:
Why would it need a GTX970? Surely it'd be based on the game you're playing? Was going to get a Micro-ATX with a GTX950... Not sure I want to pay an extra £150 for a GTX970... Ugh, decisions

The 970 is the recommendation because of the FPS you gotta hit at the 2 screen resolution. My 770 hits 60 FPS @ 1080 with basically any newer game, but only 144 FPS (I got a gsync monitor) in older games like DOOM 3 or WoW in lower complexity. 60fps at 1080 is probably magnitudes easier to hit than 2160x1200 @ 90 FPS

They said you need a geekbench benchmark of over 9000! (heh meme, but seriously) to get the optimal experience in most VR games. Since that score represents like 1% of the PC market right now, I bet many will be trying to get by with less. I am glad it's not like nvidia where they would not offer some of their features unless you hit a certain spec. Game stream isn't an option unless you have an specific i3 2100 or better regardless of the GPU being Kepler class or not which I thought was bullshit.

There is a line where shitty experience should at least be allowed to be attempted. Oculus allowing that experience seems better, and the recommendations seem as just that rather than actual "minimum requirements"

Plus, directx 12 compliant, Why not get a 970? That's gonna be my justification to myself hehe. Although I am a bit torn on waiting on pascal.

Last edited:
Well the only difference between $350 and $600, is a mind blowing $250!

Well my Brother pre-ordered, so I guess I can try his and not have to dish out the money.

Back