Anybody considering picking up an Oculus Rift..?

I'm certainly not interested at that price, but also because none of the games I am playing at the minute would benefit from a VR headset.

In fact, the only "first person" games I play are Doom 2, Duke3D and Unreal Tournament (the first one)... and I don't play any of them very often...

I was really excited by the OR, that was until I tried it back in November and was less than impressed with the image quality.

I will check out the final release of the OR as I don't know which version I was using but the cost is a big stumbling block.

Wasn't there a VR set that used 2 android devices, 1 for each eye? to keep the costs down?

I was really excited by the OR, that was until I tried it back in November and was less than impressed with the image quality.

I will check out the final release of the OR as I don't know which version I was using but the cost is a big stumbling block.

Wasn't there a VR set that used 2 android devices, 1 for each eye? to keep the costs down?

There's several VR headsets and AR devices imminent. I'm waiting to see comparison reviews when they are all released. IF I get a ps4 I'll maybe get Playstation VR.
€700 euros is about what I expected to pay for an occulus, if it provides a new and cool VR experience then it might be worth it.
Certainly the Pyra will boast a similar price tag, so I guess it's a case of what people choose to spend their money on perhaps.

You're not spending another $1.5k on the components needed to run the Pyra though. I don't see what's in the OR that would be worth $600. To me, it's just too expansive for what it is. Utterly useless by itself. And they need different packages. I would be willing to bet that most PC gamers already have a controller, xbone or whatever. I don't need the crappy headphones they have for it, I already spend enough money on audio equipment.

Well after the Internet freaked out about the hefty price tag, some rational arguments came out from the oculus team that has seemed to put things adequately into perspective. And it would be wise for ED to make the some of the same arguments when he finally reveals the price of the pyra, because I'm sure it will be in the same area of price and had lots of the same goals, the points still remain true for him minus the obvious ones.

1) instead of going for a cheaper device that would sell more, they went more expensive and are delivering something that will be way better than anything you can buy, specifically the dk2, which was already better than anything at the consumer level.

2) the initial goal before Facebook acquisition was going to be around $400 bucks, they have added more than half the cost in improvements to that design. The original design was going to be something basically at the same level as dk2, and while lots were happy with it, lots of complaints were swept under the rug because it wasn't the final form. But it would have been something extremely close. I would much rather be upset with a price than I would be 6 months down the line with an inferior product of what could have been.

3) the ballpark estimate after the Facebook acquisition of $350 was in comparison to claims some had made that it was going to be $1500 as a misquote of what the entire pc+rift would have costed. In that light, $600 really is in that $350 ballpark, and I can legitimately see that confusion.

4) $600 isn't a bad price for a spectacular monitor, I have a $500 gsync monitor and I think it's worth every penny, maybe not so much at the time of purchase, but would totally buy again today if I was in the same position I was in when I bought it. This is arguably going to be better than that, bigger perceived image, and comparable resolution, just much smaller physical size as a selling point.

5) competition will be more expensive if they attempt to make any profit (HTC Vive) as they are selling the rift extremely close to production cost, the discount is not paying for R&D which is significant and they're eating the bill on creating the ecosystem with little profit on the software sales you aren't directly bound to purchasing software from. (Open platform)

I watched some videos from oculus connect, there is a fuckton of custom parts to include super high quality custom lenses look at DSLR lenses and custom display panels made for their application and take advance of the geometry of their lenses and setup rather than adapting another tech into their tech, all of which are extremely expensive to produce, and not talking about the designing of it either. They haven't released the actual weight, but I've heard not much heavier than a cell phone.

I'm not the only one reconsidering my stance, seen plenty of posts of people who have hesitation remorse. The wait is now in June apparently, while initial orders they had the chance to jump on were quoting March and early April. If people are truly not interested it's one thing, but there isn't anything to compare this to at a lesser price point, the only thing that is going to drop the price is time for parts to get cheaper and in return more obsolete in comparison to newer tech.

If you have a computer capable of running it, then you can't argue you can't afford something like that unless you literally broke the bank to build the machine your running. You probably can't justify the price of something you haven't used. And because of that, I am taking the risk that it is as good as what I've heard basically everyone saying it is.

Last edited:
I can totally understand the price, but I can also imagine quite a few are going to wait now.

I wanted to get the Rift as well, but I guess I'll wait a bit longer.
I backed the Omni, which is supposed to be used with something like the Rift, but I guess it's not too urgent for me.

The reasons are simple:

1. I tried the consumer version at the GamesCom. While the overall idea is awesome, the resolution is just not what I wished for. That's not a problem of the Rift - I guess they could easily get higher resolution displays, but the PCs need to render that, and many struggle with the current resolution. Stuttering causes sickness, so that's not an option.

2. I'd need to get a completely new PC, which would probably add 1500 EUR at least to get one fast enough to work with the Rift flawlessly.

So both combined, I'd need to pay more than 2000 EUR to get virtual reality where I think the resolution is too low.

I love the idea, and I can see the potential for it, but I will personally wait a few years until 700 EUR PCs are good enough for two 4k displays :)

I can totally understand the price, but I can also imagine quite a few are going to wait now.

I wanted to get the Rift as well, but I guess I'll wait a bit longer.
I backed the Omni, which is supposed to be used with something like the Rift, but I guess it's not too urgent for me.

The reasons are simple:

1. I tried the consumer version at the GamesCom. While the overall idea is awesome, the resolution is just not what I wished for. That's not a problem of the Rift - I guess they could easily get higher resolution displays, but the PCs need to render that, and many struggle with the current resolution. Stuttering causes sickness, so that's not an option.

2. I'd need to get a completely new PC, which would probably add 1500 EUR at least to get one fast enough to work with the Rift flawlessly.

So both combined, I'd need to pay more than 2000 EUR to get virtual reality where I think the resolution is too low.

I love the idea, and I can see the potential for it, but I will personally wait a few years until 700 EUR PCs are good enough for two 4k displays :)
If you already made up your mind.... but they have partnerships in feburary for a "VR ready" PCs that include a rift for $1500 USD, not sure what that is in EURO, but it's probably a lot considering Europe kinda got screwed with fees and taxes and such.

EDIT:
($1500 USD = 1378.30 Euro + ~20% VAT = 1653.96 Euro)

However It seems like that is the best deal for those who want a rift but also need to replace their whole rig to fully enjoy it. I don't think you're going to get a better deal all things considered.

Bundles that include an Oculus Ready PC and a Rift will be available for pre-order in February starting at $1499
https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/oculus-rift-pre-orders-now-open-first-shipments-march-28/

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/oculus-ready-pcs/

I have a Windows system at home, mostly for running PCSX2 since my original PS2 has read issues. PCSX2 on the same machine using Linux is unbearable slow.

I don't have anything against using Windows, I just find it awkward to administrate with the missing package manager and no command line debug output, etc.

I really want to try it, maybe even enough to buy it, but the GTX 660M in my laptop just isn't gonna cut it for VR, so I need a new Desktop build first.

I'm more interested in these VR multiplayer halls with motion capturing etc... where you just rent the headset and controller with the hall, get the video streamed to your set and do not have to buy all the equipment to sit around with it.
I think it would be a fun experience and an alternative to paintball and lasergun.

I will probably invest in VR when I have a more permanent residence somewhere... I'll dedicate a room to it.
My interest is more on using the VR space for creativity, and to expand my market into that area.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Well, there's good enough, and then there's "good enough".
If I can turn down the prettiness and get 15fps, that'll be "good enough" for me, for a start. I played Half-Life 2 with video glasses that only had a 480i resolution back in 2006 and I thought it was amazing.
Not that I'm sure I'll get a Rift or not.

Well, there's good enough, and then there's "good enough".
If I can turn down the prettiness and get 15fps, that'll be "good enough" for me, for a start. I played Half-Life 2 with video glasses that only had a 480i resolution back in 2006 and I thought it was amazing.
I thought you backed it originally?

EDIT:
I am kind of regretting cancelling my pre-order, but I know if I continue to wait I'll enjoy the final consumer version better.

woops, I'm sorry man :3

According to this site a GTX 780 ti isn't enough for the Rift. And there I thought I bought future-proof... silly me.
I'm sort of in the same boat, but not as bad I guess, only a GTX 770 investment, but after some long thought, even though I'm getting the rift, I think I'll use it at first for simple games and movies and stuff until pascal cards come out. I can drive my 1080p @ 144hz for lots of things, except for some high end games that only run 50-60fps (I feel this situation/setup was what my gsync monitor was specifically made for) I won't get a perfect experience, but I should be able to do like minecraft and stuff probably pretty reasonably.

EDIT2: GTX 770 can power unreal 4 @ 60-80fps on ultra settings on DK2 so probably 50-60fps on CV1 or can lower the quality to try and hit 90fps either way I'll report in a couple months I'm sure.

A 970, and even 980 Ti are said to be like the minimum for a great experience, but I figure it leaves little room for future proofing, and that's really what I'm worried about.... pascal cards are supposed to be significantly better than maxwell cards and come out later this year, so I think patience will provide what I'm ultimately after.

http://techreport.com/news/26226/nvidia-pascal-to-use-stacked-memory-proprietary-nvlink-interconnect

Last edited:

No, you wouldn't want to do that.
At least not for long.

The difference to normal video glasses is that you delve into it, the movements follow the head. Any lag or hang will cause motion sickness after a few minutes.

Back